X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanieMarie
    replied
    Re: Pets chit chat thread

Albert found a dead baby bird on the terrace and brought it inside. He came from the kitchen (nowhere near the balcony door, which makes me a bit nervous as to how long he was carrying it around) with something in his mouth and I assumed he stole something from the kitchen (even though there's nothing left in there to steal...we never leave stuff out), so I said "what do you have?" He dropped it and after I saw what it was, I took it away. I don't know how it died (probably just fell out of the nest, but still). He looked for it for a while after that. I know that's totally normal cat behaviour, but still...Gross.

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    It was more venting, but I am always open to advice. Our little guy has just gotten to be a handful in the last year or so, but there's been a lot of changes for him too. We moved to a new house, got a puppy that grew to be five times his size, then had a baby on him. He's gotten really bone aggressive, that's where it all started. He would get mean if another dog tried to take his bone. Snarling and snapping mean. Now he's been turning on Koda whenever she pushes him anywhere, which happens when she gets excited and they're both going to the door, or to me, etc. He's also had that knee issue going on, though we haven't really had any issue with it for a couple months and I just watch him really close to be sure it's not flaring up again. He just seems like he's getting more aloof. That's the best way I can describe it. It worries me. I try to give him plenty of attention, but I don't think he's handling not being the only dog very well, with another dog and a baby disturbing his life in the last 6 months to a year.
    I think you're right that he's not coping very well with his new situation.

Getting snappy over bones and things is called 'Resource Guarding' and the absolute worst thing you can do is force the issue or put him in a situation to have the thing he's guarding taken away. I would stop giving them bones. If he is guarding against you as well then just stop bones and remove all access to things that he guards. If it's just with the other dog then ensure they are well separated and don't let them back together until the bones or whatever are finished with. Resource guarders usually give you clear signals BEFORE they get snappy, so watch for those. They usually go very still, may tense their body up, hold onto the item and look at you from the corner of their eye. If you don't back off there may then be a growl, then there's the snarly snap. Most people don't recognise the early signs and so think that the snapping is coming out of nowhere, but it isn't. If you ever see these early signs then stop, don't look directly at him and back off. Do not push it. Resource guarding often gets worse and the more they 'practice' it because you try to win, the worse it will become. But do get in the habit of making a trade for things that he isn't guarding. So even if he's happy for you to take his toys, always trade it for another toy or a treat or something. It's generally good to not take things away from a resource guarder, but when you do then trade so that he is not coming out empty handed, so to speak.

Snapping at the other dog... this part is tricky. Obviously your other dog is bigger and is willing to fight back, and will probably win the fights. This is a very confronting situation for a lot of dogs. Dogs have very complex social rules and communications. If dogs who live together are getting into an actual fight (vs body language, growls and warning snaps) then there are serious issues between them. These things are supposed to be sorted out with the body language and growling stuff... so when they aren't it gets very difficult for them and for you. And keep in the back of your mind that sometimes dogs need a divorce. Yes, dogs are social creatures, but they are not pack animals in the same way as wolves. Dog 'packs' are fluid and based on current circumstance and availability of resources. Dogs who don't get along wont stay together 'in the wild'. The static family 'packs' that we enforce as human families are largely unnatural to dogs, which creates some issues when you have two personalities who don't coexist well.

There's a few things you can try to see if you can manage this. But be aware that it may not work. If you were my client, I would suggest that you come in for a behavioural consult so that we can assess whether it's safe to try to manage it and whether extra things like medications are warranted. But obviously that's not an option for you.

1) Don't tell them off. It doesn't work, especially when they are in a highly aroused state. Dogs' brain chemistry changes when they are aroused... and by that I mean excited, anxious, stressed, fearful or aggressive. Any yelling or stern voices that you use in this situation will a) not have the effect you want it to; b) may actually incense them further (you then have dogs turning on owners when they try to pull them apart) or c) will actually encourage them. There is some evidence to suggest that when you yell at the dog for barking, growling or fighting, some dogs actually take that as you joining in and so they feed off that further. Keep your voice calm, make minimal noises and just separate them. Walk them to opposite sides of the yard, or different rooms... out of sight of each other preferably. Then try to get their attention with known commands like 'sit'.

2) Try to keep the routine as stable as possible. I know this is really hard with a new baby, but do what you can to keep the routine. Try to have regular meal times, regular walk times, and try not to surprise the dogs with unusual or unexpected occurrences. Of course these things will happen, and you can't help that, but do your best to minimise them. Routine is really, really important for stress and anxiety, as well as knowing what is expected. Which leads in to...

3) If they aren't already trained, make it a priority. This doesn't have to be with external obedience classes. You can do it at home for only the cost of ten minutes of time per day. Google 'positive reinforcement training' or 'clicker training' or something and you'll probably come up with a million sites and youtube videos. Only use positive reinforcement techniques... by that I mean use a treat/reward to lead them into doing the action, say the word when the action is completed and give them the treat (or click if you are doing clicker training, then treat). This is the technique we use. It's also the technique they use to train animals at the zoo to have medical procedures done. It works well and does not increase anxiety. Some of the old school techniques increase stress and anxiety and are really not appropriate for any dogs, let alone dogs who are having stress issues.

4) Use the training to teach them what is expected of them. Teach them that when you get home they don't get to greet you at the door but have to sit and wait for you to pat them. Don't give them attention until they've sat at your feet. Teach them to sit and drop at the doorway instead of rushing into the room. Teach them to sit and wait at the food bowls before feeding. It takes some time, but it will stop the rushing and jostling and pushing each other. And if they aren't pushing each other then they aren't competing for the resource (your attention counts as a resource). If your little guy is more attached to you, then try to have your hubby be the one who gives the other dog more attention/walks/feeding etc. If she's still young then we may be able to transfer some of her bond to him, which then takes the pressure off your little guy.

5) And most importantly. Sit down with hubby and have a serious chat about what you are and aren't willing to allow in your house. Remembering that you have a baby, and in 6-12mths that baby will start interacting with the dogs. Toddlers and dogs really don't mix well, so if you have a volatile situation with the dogs then it may become dangerous for your baby. You may have to make a difficult decision, because it may not be safe for you to keep both dogs. And if that's a decision that you make, you need to know which dog you wish to keep. Most people will surrender the dog that they perceive as the aggressor (which I assume for you is the little dog?) but that's not actually always the case. Sometimes the problem is that the other dog is not respecting boundaries or is acting or reacting inappropriately. Sometimes a dog who doesn't get along with other dog is fine with people and kids. Sometimes they aren't. But as hard as it is, this is something that you need to talk about and decide for yourselves. Because at the end of the day, your baby is the priority and we must ensure that your baby is in a safe environment.

I hate to have to say this, but this is unlikely to go away on it's own. It's not something that is easily fixed. Sometimes adolescent dogs will have problems for a while but then mature, sort themselves out and be fine. But you can't count on that. Try the things I've mentioned above and have a chat with hubby and see what you think. And if you want some specific details about training then feel free to ask here or PM me for detailed instructions. I've kind of glossed over that part as I don't know what you do or don't already do. It's also really hard for me not knowing you and seeing you with the dogs, because I can't see whether your responses, reactions and automatic treatment of them is helpful or not. Sometimes we end up inadvertently making things worse... and to be perfectly honest we spend as much time retraining owners as dogs during behavioural consults!

Leave a comment:

• Shahaku
    replied

It was more venting, but I am always open to advice. Our little guy has just gotten to be a handful in the last year or so, but there's been a lot of changes for him too. We moved to a new house, got a puppy that grew to be five times his size, then had a baby on him. He's gotten really bone aggressive, that's where it all started. He would get mean if another dog tried to take his bone. Snarling and snapping mean. Now he's been turning on Koda whenever she pushes him anywhere, which happens when she gets excited and they're both going to the door, or to me, etc. He's also had that knee issue going on, though we haven't really had any issue with it for a couple months and I just watch him really close to be sure it's not flaring up again. He just seems like he's getting more aloof. That's the best way I can describe it. It worries me. I try to give him plenty of attention, but I don't think he's handling not being the only dog very well, with another dog and a baby disturbing his life in the last 6 months to a year.

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    My dogs have started fighting and I don't know what to do with them. We pull em apart and do the whole, "No, naughty, bad." But I have no idea how to fix it. Mostly it's our little guy, he's 3 now... or 4. And getting grumpy. Koda will step on him or something cause she doesn't know he's there or forgets her size and he goes into full on attack mode. And then she gets snarly back. Stoeger has gotten a couple gashes now because she literally tries to pick him up and fling him away from her to get him to stop one time. Ugh. I'm seriously starting to worry about stress and anxiety in Stoeg.
    I don't have enough time to reply right now as I'm about to head into work. But if you feel like you need some advice post up some more examples and context and I might be able to help. If this is just a venty thinv then feel free to ignore my meddling.

Leave a comment:

• Shahaku
    replied

My dogs have started fighting and I don't know what to do with them. We pull em apart and do the whole, "No, naughty, bad." But I have no idea how to fix it. Mostly it's our little guy, he's 3 now... or 4. And getting grumpy. Koda will step on him or something cause she doesn't know he's there or forgets her size and he goes into full on attack mode. And then she gets snarly back. Stoeger has gotten a couple gashes now because she literally tries to pick him up and fling him away from her to get him to stop one time. Ugh. I'm seriously starting to worry about stress and anxiety in Stoeg.

Leave a comment:

• Clive
    replied

Hee, when Philip and I lived together back home with our three cats and two dogs, the pups were curious about the kitties. But since cats are a-holes, they met a butt-sniff with a swat on the hindquarters. Before too long the dogs learned to ignore the cats.

Leave a comment:

• Gleb
    replied

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Dogs don't inherently hate cats, that's just a myth.

However, most dogs like to chase things that run. And most cats do a very good job of running.

It would be more accurate to say that dogs don't understand cats very well, which can sometimes lead to... difficulties lol
    Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks for explaining to me Our cat definitely does a good job in running

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Most of the dogs that I've had found cats all sorts of entertaining. The cat opinions on them varied. Some cats avoided them, some played games with them, one politely informed a bear masquerading as a chocolate lab that he was her personal property and that she was going to steal from his food bowl (she got away with it too, not sure any of the others did).

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    I keep thinking more and more about why do dogs hate cats... Nature? Who knows....
    Ok, now I have to take the dog out, and hug the cat almost to death after this.
    Dogs don't inherently hate cats, that's just a myth.

However, most dogs like to chase things that run. And most cats do a very good job of running.

It would be more accurate to say that dogs don't understand cats very well, which can sometimes lead to... difficulties lol

Leave a comment:

• Gleb
    replied

I keep thinking more and more about why do dogs hate cats... Nature? Who knows....
    Ok, now I have to take the dog out, and hug the cat almost to death after this.

Leave a comment:

• Burning Shadow Alchemist
    replied

The mice run free...only in their clear balls of caged mobility.

Leave a comment:

• Clive
    replied

It's looking like my Melody-dog won't be joining me, as the place I'm living in doesn't allow pets (of any kind, sayeth the house rules), and I certainly can't afford a plane trip for her. She does have a three-year window before her shots and such run out, though, so who knows. If she ends up remaining where she is, she's at least with a family who loves her. It just makes me sad because she was always terrified I would abandon her, and I swore to her I never would. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• Heka
    replied

In regards to water cycling (what the turtle community I'm in calls it), you need to wait 4-6 weeks. New turtle keepers are encouraged to put the fish in to do it (if you're not worried about them dying, so maybe buy some cheap feeders) before the turtle (or whatever) goes in. Apparently tetras are really sensitive to water quality and will usually die. Guppies don't though. I use the API test kit. The ammonia will rise first (by-product of waste, can take a while) then the nitrite will rise too (both of these are the ones that kill), then the nitrates will rise (these are ok). The water is fully cycled when both the ammonia and nitrite are a 0ppm. Nitrates can sit anywhere from 5ppm to 40. Over around that you should do a water change (only way to keep it in check).

You can buy products to speed up the process (or make it safer, it wasn't faster for me, but my turtles were in the water the whole time with no side effects). I suggest Nutrafin Cycle, and Seachem Prime. AmmoLock is another popular one, though I haven't used it. It locks the free ammonia in the water, which slows the process, but makes it safer. You will still get ammonia readings, but it's supposed to be safe ammonia.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• ChainLightning
    replied

My eldest stepson kept a betta for a good long time. Kept him in a "classic goldfish bowl". Just barely a half gallon of water, with no aeration or filtration, in it. Eventually, he got tired of the hassle in cleaning it, and adding fresh water every other day, He moved the betta into a 10 gallon, that was housing an iridescent shark, a pleco and 2 cory catfish.

Got just a little over three years with the little guy, before experiencing a cold weather snap and an open window, thanks to a young visiting cousin. The betta and one of the cories didn't survive. Thing is, there are so many tropical fish with life spans just around 2 years, mixed with not knowing how old that betta was when he got it, nobody even considered that the betta would have lived much longer, anyway.

Though... they ARE stubborn little buggers. I had a girlfriend, years ago, that kept a betta in a drinking glass, not much bigger than the cup he came in. I'm not sure how long he lived but it was a lot longer than I would have, caged up in something so small. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    That's all quite informative. I feel quite prepared now.

My mom is planning to get a betta to keep on her desk. She bought this "betta bowl" and I'm just thinking it's way too small. It's a literal fish bowl with like a booklight attached, It's probably not even a gallon. She says it's specifically made for bettas and her sister in law had one for years in it. Is she right or will it die like I assume it will? I mean she wan't capable of keeping a 10 gallon tank alive.
    It COULD survive, if someone who knew what they were doing was looking after it. Chances are your mum will end up killing it.

I've never kept bettas (we call them Siamese Fighting Fish) but my experience is that people who keep fish in little fishbowls end up not having fish for long. And I just generally have a problem with seeing Fighting Fish in those tiny little box tanks... there is normally no environmental enrichment, no filtration, and nothing that is even remotely responsible fish keeping. Fighting fish are still fish. They still need everything that any other fish does. It's just that they are happier on their own.

I don't know exactly how much space they need, so I don't know whether the size of the bowl is an issue. But normally literal bowls can freak some fish out by warping their vision. And even if the size of the bowl or tank is okay, it still needs filtration, oxygenation and environmental enrichment in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X