This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with the goddess Neith?

Hi everyone a quick backstory, even before I started learning about Paganism and Wicca I knew my spirit animal was the spider, and since learning more about this religion and practicing it the spider has shown up more and more in my life. And after reading up on patron gods and goddesses, I had an idea my patron goddess was Neith. I asked a Priestess, and she confirmed this for me, so my question is basically where to go from here?
    I know some people set up altars and give offerings to their patron god and I'd love to try and try the same, but I can't really find anything on Neith about doing so?
    Any help is really appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Re: Help with the goddess Neith?

Not to be a smart arse but if you asked a priestess about this goddess I would think said priestess should be able to give you some guidance on altars, offerings and such for her. If said priestess is not dedicated to Neith then it seem's illogical to think she would know which goddess it was that is calling to you. It seem's highly improbable that Neith is going to place a call to this priestess and say "Yes, tell her it's me calling!"

Given that she is an Egyptian goddess I'd say studying Egyptian mythology and the Egyptian Pantheon would be a place to start. While I tend not to care for it as a source you might consider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neith as a starting place. BY figuring out where and how she is connected you can extrapolate from similar Egyptian gods / goddesses as to what is most probable altar and offering procedures.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to add that you first have to decide how you wish to worship, honor and observe your practice. Are you going to go for more traditional practices? Are you going to use more Wiccan inspired practices which probably have little historical or cultural influences. Are you going to focus upon a given period where the goddess was most active and known? Are you going to try and base your practice off an Egyptian calendar which is defined against three seasons and the Nile river? Lots of things to consider when trying to decide which mannerism is best for you, for your practice and for the goddess you seek to honor and acknowledge.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Oh it's fine and that does make sense, right now it seems like I'm sort of grasping at straws here and accepting all the help I need. She wasn't dedicated to Neith, but I was just looking for some input I hadn't asked about altar settings because I didn't see her in person, but it seems I have more to consider before getting to that anyway.
      I've read the Wikipedia on her, as well as other sites so I know how she was worshipped in her time. I suppose I'll be going a more traditional route rather a Wiccan one when I get to that stage.
      Thanks for all your help

Comment

(Net) Neith, whose importance in Egyptian religion as a deity at once intimately involved in the formation of the cosmos but also engaged in its ongoing maintenance can be judged from the frequency…

Henadology wordpress is a VERY well cited resource for historically accurate information when it comes to Kemetic gods. The link above leads you directly to Neith's page, and this is the general list... http://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/

Good luck, hope that helps.
        Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Working...
        X