Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Do you think you would censor anything from your child?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

my quick answer,( i am supposed to be working )

oh so many things while they were younger,
      less and less as they grew up,
      now almost everything is available on the internet anyways.
      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg13445#msg13445 date=1289850692]
        [/quote]

I didn't, at all. Much to the kids' father's chagrin.

Of course, I got the youngest at age 15. So I have no experience with younger than that. However, as far as grandkids go? Their parents censor me, quite a bit. "Watch your language!" And, "don't talk like that!"

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

If you try to hide it, they gonna find it anyways. And, they'll think it's something forbidden and will seek it out because of curiosity and search for thrills, which younger people have a craving for. It's better to explain it and make it look dull, so they will not be excited by an eventual hunt for knowledge and bad experiences. If you lie, they gonna eventually know!

Comment

[/quote] not at all. yuka wants to but i told her im going to be open with our son. im going to share my life experiences with him so he knows he can come to me if he gets in a situation. also my dad let me drink as a kid, i never got drunk until i was 18, and even then stayed responsible. it wasnt a big deal to me because it wasnt like i was doing something i shouldnt to try to be more "adult".
            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[/quote]

I say no now, but I haven't got kids. I'd LIKE to think that I would raise my child(ren) - should I have one/them - to be open minded and to ask questions - and if they are smart enough to ask, they are smart enough to know.

Besides, if I don't want to answer/show them something - I can always say "Go ask your father"

Mostly art.

Comment

[/quote]

Yep, I do.

I do my best to insure that they deal with age-appropriate things, including toning down the sort of media I listen to or watch when they're around. Obviously, what I find appropriate or inappropriate will change as they grow, but there are a lot of things which would be confusing or scary to them right now.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

It depends on what you mean by "censor".

If by censor, you mean forbid them access to information? Then, no.

If by censor, you mean screen information and disseminate and discuss it in an age appropriate fashion? Then, yes.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Do you think you would censor anything from your child?[/quote]
                    My daughter is 18 now. I do not recall censoring her at all and she's a fabulous young lady. My parents heavily censored and sugar-coated my youth and I wasn't entirely prepared for the world when I got out in it.

Comment

[/quote]

Yes, given the topic and their age.

My 10 year old "nephew" last night asked me what a hand job was. I told him it was a high five because I could think of nothing else. Now, hopefully I'll be at least 40 by the time any kid of mine is 10, and by then I'd like to think I'll have a better answer :P
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=62.msg13602#msg13602 date=1289881787]
                        It depends on what you mean by "censor".

If by censor, you mean forbid them access to information? Then, no.

If by censor, you mean screen information and disseminate and discuss it in an age appropriate fashion? Then, yes.
                        [/quote]

^
                        This! I don't censor my children much unless it comes to things like sex and violence (they are 7 and 6) but They listen to the type of music I do (hard rock/heavy metal) but when it comes to television I try my best to find age appropriate shows for them

Comment

How often do you have a family portrait taken? Is it planned and coordinated, or is it a spur of the moment sort of thing?
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[/quote]

I don't think I would censor much or anything at all, but I'm far from capable of explaining things to someone else, let alone parenting.

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg16225#msg16225 date=1290466492]
                            How often do you have a family portrait taken? Is it planned and coordinated, or is it a spur of the moment sort of thing?
                            [/quote]
                            And now I will express a quote in mime...

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg16225#msg16225 date=1290466492]
                              [/quote]

Not a professional one since I was 2 or 3, and I think maybe we had one taken at my grandmas in 2007 or 2008 at Christmas? Before that, probably the mid 90s.

Mostly art.

Comment

We have never had a professional portrait done of our family. My eldest is 19, youngest is 7.
                                Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X