This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi and Help?

Welcome aboard. Good luck. I'm not particularly well versed in Celtic lore so I can't offer much aid regarding Epona. The necessity or lack there of regarding rituals sort of varies depending on the person and path. Generally so will the ritual if one is used.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Welcome & blessings!

You don't have to do anything ritually or ceremonially to become a Pagan. Many people became Pagan just by realizing that's what they've been all along. Other people, like yourself, seek it out and actively engage it. If you want to be a Wiccan (a branch of Paganism), or join a coven of witches, usually there are some initiatory rituals you go through. Any book on beginning Wicca should cover those.

I'm slightly familiar w/Epona because I love me some horses, and Epona is primarily associated with horses, donkeys & mules. Her name, derived from the Gaulish language, means (depending on which translation you go by) 'white mare', 'divine horse' or 'she who is like a horse'. Along with horses, She is a figure of the wealth from the harvest (not necessarily the act of the harvesting itself) and bounty - many of Her statues depict Her feeding the horses from Her skirts, or holding grains, fruits & cornucopias. Horses are relatively high-maintenance livestock compared to pigs or goats. People at that time, much like today, had to be prosperous in order to feed and care for their horses.

She was primarily worshiped in Western Europe, and parts of the Roman Empire. The Romans tended to absorb deities from the people they conquered and randomly encountered, and Epona was no exception. Most written information about Her is Roman as the early Gauls didn't employ much written literature. Because of this, you have to apply some critical thinking when reading about Her on the internet or in modern Pagan literature. No one can say for certain if She oversaw human fertility, which is something a lot of authors like to hand over to Her - She's shown with foals, not babies. She's not really a harvest figure - She feeds horses, but doesn't carry a scythe or winnowing basket. Even though She had shrines in stables and Roman cavalry barracks, She's not really a martial Goddess...

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.epona.net/

Something I know that many of us, myself included, here on the board would enjoy would be hearing more about Pure Land Buddhism (hint hint).
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
        Welcome & blessings!

You don't have to do anything ritually or ceremonially to become a Pagan. Many people became Pagan just by realizing that's what they've been all along. Other people, like yourself, seek it out and actively engage it. If you want to be a Wiccan (a branch of Paganism), or join a coven of witches, usually there are some initiatory rituals you go through. Any book on beginning Wicca should cover those.

I'm slightly familiar w/Epona because I love me some horses, and Epona is primarily associated with horses, donkeys & mules. Her name, derived from the Gaulish language, means (depending on which translation you go by) 'white mare', 'divine horse' or 'she who is like a horse'. Along with horses, She is a figure of the wealth from the harvest (not necessarily the act of the harvesting itself) and bounty - many of Her statues depict Her feeding the horses from Her skirts, or holding grains, fruits & cornucopias. Horses are relatively high-maintenance livestock compared to pigs or goats. People at that time, much like today, had to be prosperous in order to feed and care for their horses.

She was primarily worshiped in Western Europe, and parts of the Roman Empire. The Romans tended to absorb deities from the people they conquered and randomly encountered, and Epona was no exception. Most written information about Her is Roman as the early Gauls didn't employ much written literature. Because of this, you have to apply some critical thinking when reading about Her on the internet or in modern Pagan literature. No one can say for certain if She oversaw human fertility, which is something a lot of authors like to hand over to Her - She's shown with foals, not babies. She's not really a harvest figure - She feeds horses, but doesn't carry a scythe or winnowing basket. Even though She had shrines in stables and Roman cavalry barracks, She's not really a martial Goddess...

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.epona.net/

Something I know that many of us, myself included, here on the board would enjoy would be hearing more about Pure Land Buddhism (hint hint).

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

Also, welcome to the board! If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.
        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
        -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Welcome and good luck in your endeavours, Perze hit the nail on the head
          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Re: Hello!

Howdy xx
            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I just wanted to tack on another welcome

While we don't have a lot of Celtic posters at the moment, you will probably want to check out that mini-board, read some of the older posts. Unfortunately, we had a board crash just over a year ago, so not as much information as we used to have, however, that is an excellent place for you to post questions.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Re: Greetings

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hello and welcome

Comment

Cat lady?!

Nice to meet you. I'm married to a cat lady. We have six of the little fuzzy beasties!
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hello

Hello everyone !!!
                      I am looking forward to being on this site
                      I am from canada and came here to seek information and want to hear other peoples practices. Thanks for having me on this site

Comment

Re: Hello

Welcome
                        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Hello There.

I'm not exactly new to my Pagan beliefs in a way. In fact, I've always believed I was Pagan since I was a child because I was felt a 'certain' energy flowing away around as if everything was alive and was there for a reason. But I didn't start developing my lifestyle until around middle school. Of course, I became side tracked and never really read into my beliefs more and even practiced. I have been dubbed, rather jokingly, a "lazy Pagan" by my girlfriend actually.

Well, it's actually bothered me that I'm not as developed as I should be considering I started my research years and years ago and now being 20 years of age, I really feel like I missed out on a lot of things. But I said to myself, "no more of that!" and I have been pushing myself to learn more and more about pagan lifestyles.

Now, I'm a newbie of course, but I do have some knowledge, I suppose. Well, at least I can tell the difference between Pagan, Wicca, and Witchcraft. I really haven't chosen a "path" yet and I'm not yet sure if I ever will. I'm currently looking into Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, or Shinto right now.

I do have one question though - I want to learn more about Paganism in a more traditional way instead of a contemporary/modern way of Paganism. Does anyone have any good books that one would suggest or a good website up on it? I would very much appreciate it.

It's nice to meet you all!

Comment

hi!

Hi everyone!
                            I joined this forum in hopes of discussing and learning more about being a true, practicing Pagan and different interpretations of that. This forum also seems like a really nice place to just chat too. I wanted to learn more about Wiccan rituals and rites, but even more so, discuss them. I do try to observe Pagan holidays and traditions (and i'm really excited for the upcoming Yule) and am looking forward to setting up an altar soon!

looking forward to being around more!

Comment

Hello!

Hi everyone -

I am new to the site and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I live in the Pacific Northwest. While I did not grow up in a particularly religious environment, I've had an interest in exploring different spiritual paths for quite some time. While I've done a lot of reading and exploring and can see merits in many paths, I have yet to settle on one that completely feels at home to me.

As a result, other than the completely vague "Eclectic", I'm not really sure how to describe my path. One of my goals in joining this site is to use it as a tool to help define/refine what exactly it is.

Looking forward to discussing more with all of you!

Awen

Comment

Welcome Awen You will do what comes naturally, and what feels right. Your personal relationship with the higher powers is between you and them, and it shouldn't matter to anyone else. I hope you like it here I haven't been here long myself. Nice meeting you.

Comment

Working...
                                X