The Issue of Sexuality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Issue of Sexuality.

I think the whole issue boils down to the human love of assumptions. It's nice to know where someone stands -- and if they fit into a nice little pocket; gay, straight, Christian, Pagan, etc and also fit the stereotype in some way (the gay man has nice hair, the Christian hates the gay guy, etc) then everyone is happy. When you break out of the mold, it makes people nervous.

Heck, I got told I was going to quote the Bible the other day, when discussing my conservative politics. I was totally blindsided, since naturally I'd never quote the Bible. But since I agreed with a conservative political stance, they assumed -- and were freaked out when I told them about being a pagan.

Sexuality is even more so, because we're all equally thrilled and paranoid that someone else thinks we are worth diddling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
      I think the whole issue boils down to the human love of assumptions. It's nice to know where someone stands -- and if they fit into a nice little pocket; gay, straight, Christian, Pagan, etc and also fit the stereotype in some way (the gay man has nice hair, the Christian hates the gay guy, etc) then everyone is happy. When you break out of the mold, it makes people nervous.
      The only thing I don't quite get is that very few people ever fit as neatly into the category as others would like. It makes the whole idea of sterotyping pretty stupid, IMO, and while I realize that it's impossible to NOT sterotype, at least in some small way, there's a difference between doing it because you don't realize it, and doing it while realizing how wrong you might be.

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
      Sexuality is even more so, because we're all equally thrilled and paranoid that someone else thinks we are worth diddling.
      Very true!

Comment

I tend to not be very concerned with other peoples choices. It seems that people in general think for some reason that other peoples choices are their concern,and that they MUST have a say. Each of us travels through our lives making our own choices,and that should only concern ourselves. The saying "Every man is an Island" seems very true(also every Woman is an Island). each of us has a life to live,and we should be able to live it as we please.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This little story is interesting not because it is two women kissing,but because it isn't a major story.

A Lesbian couple have become the first to share in the US Navy tradition of the 'first kiss' since the repeal of the American military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule.

When this type of story isn't even a story,then perhaps we as a people have arrived at being non obsessed with this.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I saw that article yesterday. It's a sweet picture, but it shouldn't be news. People kiss all the time; their gender or lack of one shouldn't be an issue.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Apparently there was some kind of raffle held to determine which couple would get to kiss first - saw it on CNN this morning
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I agree it shouldn't even be news,but at least(crossing fingers) all the crazy homophobes arn't going bonkers yet.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  Apparently there was some kind of raffle held to determine which couple would get to kiss first - saw it on CNN this morning
                  Yup, the first kiss raffle is sort of a *big deal* for sailors. Most of the ship has to stay onboard working until liberty (when the CO releases non-duty personnel), but new daddy's and the first kiss winner get to leave pretty much as soon as the brow (the walkway from ship to pier) goes down.

This is awesome!
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

My thoughts are that it depends on the person. I myself am gay, but I have tons of friends who are pansexual (they dont care about gender or looks but focus on the personality) I dont like it when some people are like "theres no such thing as bisexual" in my eyes yes there is. There are people, who like both genders, one gender, or wont even give a crap, as long as the person is nice thats all that matters. It doesnt matter who you like, and all these labels such as, gay bisexual, straight, pansexual, is what is seperating us. If we all just took out those labels, no one would care. Those are my thoughts.

Comment

I'm bi. I had a guy accuse of me of not being able to make up my mind, so he wouldn't date me because he couldn't trust me. He was very straight.

I just gave him a level look at asked him "which do you prefer? Blondes or Brunettes?"

He blinked at me and answered, "both."

At that point I dead panned. "Obviously you can't make up your mind, so you can't be trusted and I would never consider going out with you." Then I turned and walked away.
                      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

thats a good way of putting it Vigdisdotter, "blondes and Burnettes" some people like both, so it can apply to genders too, nice

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                          I'm bi. I had a guy accuse of me of not being able to make up my mind, so he wouldn't date me because he couldn't trust me. He was very straight.

I just gave him a level look at asked him "which do you prefer? Blondes or Brunettes?"

He blinked at me and answered, "both."

At that point I dead panned. "Obviously you can't make up your mind, so you can't be trusted and I would never consider going out with you." Then I turned and walked away.
                          As a fellow bi who got winnowed out of dating someone because she heard about my sexuality before she even met me...AMEN!

Comment

Whether someone chooses to love a man or a woman is of no consequence to me. Men and women are equally beautiful, and love between two men or two women is no less beautiful than that between a man and a woman. We each have a soul without a gender, so I see no reason for our physical state to affect our spiritual state.

Besides, with so much hate in the world, we should be clinging to any love we can find.

Comment

Working...
                            X