Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....

If you can get Goya brand canned beans where you live, try their "Black Bean Soup". It's very thick and I never use it as soup, I heat it up, ass a teasp. of chili powder, a teasp of olive oil, and a dash of cooking sherry, and serve over rice. I can't find it here but I ordered a case online.
    Another pre-packaged brand I like is Near East. They make a lentil pilaf that's to die for.

Here's a simple recipe for Lentil Spread, good protein, and yummy on toast or crackers:

1 cup lentils
    1/2 teasp. dried thyme
    1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teasp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 small yellow onion, minced

Cook lentils in water to cover until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserve cooking liquid. Immediately transfer cooked lentils to food processor or blender. Add thyme, vinegar & pepper. Process into a smooth paste, adding cooking liquid a little at a time if needed - you don't want to make it watery, but smooth and spreadable.
    Transfer to bowl, add onion, mix well.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Any unused meat products can be shipped to my home.
      kthnxbi
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Any unused meat products can be shipped to my home.
        kthnxbi
        Haha same lol. I'm allergic to most meat alternatives so I really have to eat meat....so I'll eat all the veggie's meat to make up for it :P

I was explaining this to someone tonight though, but I do actually have very strong philosophies about eating meat (maybe because of the strong native culture where I grew up). I thank the animal who gave its life, I don't waste meat and I don't overeat meat.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Haha same lol. I'm allergic to most meat alternatives so I really have to eat meat....so I'll eat all the veggie's meat to make up for it :P

I was explaining this to someone tonight though, but I do actually have very strong philosophies about eating meat (maybe because of the strong native culture where I grew up). I thank the animal who gave its life, I don't waste meat and I don't overeat meat.
          I agree. I eat meat like most Asians eat meat actually. They use it as a flavoring but it's not the main portion of their meals. It's like ok some chorizo mixed in my potatoes. Or some turkey pepperoni slices mixed in with all my veggies. Though I do tend to eat more grilled or roasted chicken then anything else. Only because being Diabetic it's a safe non carb snack that doesn't mess with my sugars.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Yeah I'll have meat alone often, but in reasonable serving sizes (the size of a deck of cards=1 serving). I like grilled/baked fish a lot, especially salmon. The oils in it mess with my body in a good way.

Comment

Stuffed peppers can be amazing. Just be sure to cook them enough. You can stuff them with rice, pasta, tomatoes, any other veggies really. Adding something sweeter inside could be a good idea. I haven't tried fruit, but sweeter veggies like corn are a good idea. I prefer yellow or red peppers for this, greens can be a little on the bitter side. My mother-in-law swears against green peppers unless their all you can get.

Also, a vegan friend of mine makes a wonderful recipe with squash and potatoes in a puree of red peppers, onions, thyme, pepper, soy sauce, veg oil, garlic, ginger and brown sugar with tomato juice and more chopped peppers. It was really good.

It took her forever to find a way that she could cook tofu that she liked and beans as well. Something about cooking them just right to get it to taste like meat and it took a lot of experimenting on her part.

I am learning from her that meat is in the least expected places. For instance, chex mix isn't safe because most of it has worcestershire sauce in it which is usually made with anchovies.... And she is a strict vegan, no milk/cheese/eggs. So I'm learning how to look for those things.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
              X