Did somebody hex me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did somebody hex me?

I've just found, out the blue, a long black hair sitting on my desk. Nobody in this house has long hair and we've had no guests with long hair in the recent past. The oddest part is, the hair has two knots tied in it and it seems to be radiating a pulse, almost like a heartbeat (no, it's not my pulse, I made sure).

It's late and I'm going to bed so all I'm doing for now is washing my hands with salt water and putting on some Firey Wall of Protection oil and leaving the hair alone.

Thoughts?
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Did somebody hex me?

Maybe it's someone elses hair that snagged on you when you were out and about? Doesn't sound like a hex if I'm honest, I wouldn't worry about it too much
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
      Thoughts?
      Did you check your place for any signs of intrusion? If your home wasn't invaded by anyone who could have planted the hair, then Amelia's probably correct - you brought it in on your clothes or something.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm inclined to think along the same lines as Amelia and Perzephone. However the two knots give me pause. That's highly unusual, especially if the hair was procured accidentally and brought in on your person as a harmless incident. If you say there's an energy about the hair, then be rid of it smartly just to stay on the safe side.

I would carefully untie the knots if I could - with tweezers or something. And then, I would burn it. Southern Fire has always been associated (to me) with vultures and the ability to turn death into new life again, so I would cleanse the energy and then perhaps do a bit of "sweeping" with the broom to clear out any negative energy that may be released.

You could also put it in a bottle. Glass has incredible trapping properties (as far as I'm concerned). Maybe burning it is a bit much, maybe this hair CAME to you. Who knows, But if you don't want to burn it, I would at least confine it until you better know what to do about it.
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
          Maybe it's someone elses hair that snagged on you when you were out and about? Doesn't sound like a hex if I'm honest, I wouldn't worry about it too much
          It's quite possible. I certainly haven't ruled it out.

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          Did you check your place for any signs of intrusion? If your home wasn't invaded by anyone who could have planted the hair, then Amelia's probably correct - you brought it in on your clothes or something.
          As far as I know nobody has been in here. There's almost always someone here and nothing has been stolen. Believe me, with the sort of morality you find around here, if somebody broke in to leave a cursed hair they'd rob us while they were at it.

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          I'm inclined to think along the same lines as Amelia and Perzephone. However the two knots give me pause. That's highly unusual, especially if the hair was procured accidentally and brought in on your person as a harmless incident. If you say there's an energy about the hair, then be rid of it smartly just to stay on the safe side.

I would carefully untie the knots if I could - with tweezers or something. And then, I would burn it. Southern Fire has always been associated (to me) with vultures and the ability to turn death into new life again, so I would cleanse the energy and then perhaps do a bit of "sweeping" with the broom to clear out any negative energy that may be released.

You could also put it in a bottle. Glass has incredible trapping properties (as far as I'm concerned). Maybe burning it is a bit much, maybe this hair CAME to you. Who knows, But if you don't want to burn it, I would at least confine it until you better know what to do about it.
          Yeah, being cautious is my main concern here. This may be something, it may not, but I too thought the knots were strange. Thanks for the tips on what to do with it.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

I agree with Bjorn. This is vaguely similar to some spells I've read about, the crafters of which did not have pleasant intentions. I would salt and burn it but if you think it is important to keep, a bottle is a good ides. I would put protective symbols/charms/wards on it as well if you keep it. I would be most concerned with where it came from and/or who put it there. If someone is trying to curse you then they may send more.
            They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
            Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
            -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Just a point, and I could well be pretty limited in my understanding of knot magic (since it's not what I use). I thought hex knots had three knots, not two. A third one for binding.

But I agree with the salting, burning, banishing, cleansing idea. And try to think of who could be thinking negatively towards you, and make an effort to resolve the situation.

Comment

The number of knots used in hexing can range. However, I've personally never seen knot magick using only two knots for a hex. Plus, if it isn't your own hair, then it most likely wouldn't be a hex on you. I spent years playing with hexes so the only spell idea I can come up with is that it is a love spell used on whoever the hair belonged to. And that is if it is even knot magick to begin with. Good chance it is just an accidental hair that still has some emotional ties to the person it is from that you are picking up.

Comment

I like gypsy's answer, it fits. Plus I learned something!

Comment

I vote burn it but that's mainly because I like fire and am in a mildly pyro mood.

Personally if I were gonna tie a hex to an object and leave that object where you have easy access to it then I'd make certain that the object isn't something that might be casually cleaned up and taken out of the house or fall on the floor and get caught up in a vacuum. That said, I don't use direct hexes or knot magic so my normal axioms may have no bearing on this issue.
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

KNots in hair (especially white hair) were traditionally used in protection... so don't panic. But personally I don't like things like that appearing out of the blue so I would burn it and bury the ashes (if there are any) in salt or cast them into running water.

Act decisively and see what happens. Tell nobody about it and someone will come out of the woodwork (they can't resist it) and then maybe you will know what it was all about. Best of luck (and please pm me if you have any queries, as I might be able to help)
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've burned the hair (no residue left to speak of) and am burning sage and banishing incense. Nothing unusual has happened so far and I can't think of anybody who would be angry enough at me to hex me, intentionally or otherwise. I had an argument with one of my roommates the other day but that was quickly resolved. Honestly I don't know anybody with a strong enough will to cast a successful spell of any kind, let alone a hex, so if that is what this is then it's a mystery to me.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Tarot reading I did on All Hallows' Eve. Ever year on that night I draw at least one card for every month of the following year to give me some idea of what's going down. This time I drew several disturbing cards, namely The Tower, The Sun reversed, Five of Pentacles, and Two of Cups reversed. I know The Tower isn't always a negative omen, but grouped with the others it's looking kind of bleak.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                        X