This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Laws and The Universe

Since I tend to live mostly in the physical universe, I am not surprised to discover that most things have a physical explanation.

That does not exclude the possibility that some things do not have a physical explanation.

So - my question is:

Does the universe function solely on the basis of physical laws, or is there something else at work?
    The universe functions solely on the basis of physical laws.
    0%
    In addition to physical laws there is SOMETHING ELSE at work.
    0%
    What we call the "Laws of Physics" are an illusion, and not the true basis of the physical universe.
    0%
    Other???
    0%
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Physical Laws and The Universe

I'm inclined to say that the Universe operates on theories that we currently understand and develop. We may, as time goes by, find new ways of explaining how the Universe works.

In other words, just because we can't see/hear/feel/taste/sense it right now, it doesn't mean we won't be able to in the future.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I feel there is "something else" mainly because even with science,it seems to me(feelings) that there is a natural energy that permeates everything and I think we can tap into this energy. We can't perhaps pin down the actual nature of the energy,but I think we can feel(detect) the energy all around us.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I picked the first one, though my thoughts are more in line with perzephone. The universe operates under physical laws. We have a best guess as to what those are right now, but our knowledge and understanding is constantly changing. Will we ever know exactly what's going on out there? I actually don't think we will. But that doesn't mean there is anything supernatural. I've never actually understood that term. If it happens in the universe, how is it not natural? How is it above nature? It's just part of the universe.

There are plenty of physics theories (NOT metaphysics theories) that talk about a kind of universal energy that ties everything together. Energy work, psychics, numinous experiences, etc, have the potential to be explained by accepted physics. I just don't see how it's supernatural. And just because it can be explained by physics doesn't mean it's any less awe inspiring or 'magical' or special.

Just my opinion of course!
        The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

In thinking about things,consider Music and its physical effects on us.the music starts,and we just can't help but start moving.
          I have read something(don't remember the source) that our bodies actually resonate and vibrate to music.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I pick solely on the basis of physical laws. The physical laws are descriptions of reality as we are capable of observing and understanding it. As far as WE are concerned, that's all there is. The more we can learn, the bigger the universe gets, and the better able we become to sort out, clean up, fine tune, revise, toss out mistakes. That's why I can be a pantheist and a hard core materialist, and still feel entirely comfortable exploring the less "conventional" bits of what might be real and might not.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
            X