Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corpus Christi Day

Corpus Christi Day - is today.

Who has got any experiences or memories of this day?

And what do you think of it?

Re: Corpus Christi Day

Um...what is Corpus Christi Day?
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I let Wiki do the answering:

The Feast of Corpus Christi (Latin for Body of Christ) is a Latin Rite liturgical solemnity celebrating the tradition and belief in the physical body and blood of Jesus Christ and his Real Presence in the Eucharist.

In the present Roman Missal, the feast is designated the solemnity of The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ.[1] It is also celebrated in some Anglican, Lutheran and Old Catholic Churches who hold close or similar beliefs regarding the Real Presence.

The precise date of the feast is liturgically celebrated on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday, but "where the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ is not a Holy Day of Obligation, it is assigned to the Sunday after the Most Holy Trinity as its proper day".[1] At the end of the Holy Mass, there is often a procession of the Blessed Sacrament often through the use of a monstrance. It is then followed by the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
        Um...what is Corpus Christi Day?
        A mainly Catholic festival or feast day, though it's also done by some High Church Anglican and Lutheran groups. Celebrating the belief in the physical blood and body of Christ in the Eucharist in that religion. There are claims of miracles associated with the origins of the feast day, and is celebrated in Rome by a mass that's presided over the Pope himself. It's also a moveable feast day, like Easter; so it's celebrated on a different day each year.

Dunno quite what the OP is getting at, though.

Comment

I am confused as to why this is a debate? I have no experiences with Corpus Christi Day. Even most of my Catholic friends don't really observe it.
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Slade View Post
            Even most of my Catholic friends don't really observe it.
            And why not?

This could be one way to start a debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
              And why not?

This could be one way to start a debate.
              I wouldn't really know. I'm not them. All I know is that they don't observe it.

There should be some basic argument for a debate or a staking of positions. I don't see that here. This is more of a "Let's talk about a thing and share stories" type of thread.
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

I wouldn't really know. I'm not them. All I know is that they don't observe it.

There should be some basic argument for a debate or a staking of positions. I don't see that here. This is more of a "Let's talk about a thing and share stories" type of thread.
                I read this was very important to Catholics. But my family never celebrated it. I'm wondering if this is a Non American thing?
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

I'm wondering if this is a Non American thing?
                  I took it for a worldwide thing. But I am not sure, of course.

Comment

We don't even have it in Berlin. Do you get a day off over there? If so, I hate you (not really...just jealous)....Berlin gets fewer holidays than the other states!

If we did have it, I'd probably feel the same as I did about Christi Himmelfahrt and Pfingstmontag...it's a day where no one has to work and we all hang out in the park haha.

EDIT I just googled it...you DO get a day off! In fact, your state gets more holidays than every other state. Jealous
                    Last edited by DanieMarie; 07 Jun 2012, 04:46.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

I just googled it...you DO get a day off! In fact, your state gets more holidays than every other state.

Comment

I am a newcomer.

When I started this thread, I was given some choices.

And "debate" did not seem wrong to me.

Why are you sooooooo strict about whether this is a debate or not?

Perhaps we can debate whether this is a debate.

Then YOU have YOUR debate.

-----------------

Or I can give you two options:

1. "Corpus Christi Day is a good thing."
                        2. "Corpus Christi Day is a bad thing."

Now - debate!

---------

I think it really a pity to be so "kleinkariert" about a thread title - if you know what I mean ....

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
                          I am a newcomer.

When I started this thread, I was given some choices.

And "debate" did not seem wrong to me.

Why are you sooooooo strict about whether this is a debate or not?

Perhaps we can debate whether this is a debate.

Then YOU have YOUR debate.

-----------------

Or I can give you two options:

1. "Corpus Christi Day is a good thing."
                          2. "Corpus Christi Day is a bad thing."

Now - debate!

---------

I think it really a pity to be so "kleinkariert" about a thread title - if you know what I mean ....
                          I'm really sorry about the cold welcome. I know how easy it is to make mistakes when dealing in a second language, although I've usually been lucky enough to be treated with understanding. I hope you don't let this put you off. This is usually a tolerant and friendly forum. I don't quite understand how you got this reaction, while other newcomers can be quite deliberately obnoxious, yet they're simply given a wide birthe unless they directly insult another member.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            EDIT I just googled it...you DO get a day off! In fact, your state gets more holidays than every other state. Jealous
                            Really? I never thought to google it, but people in Augsburg claimed THEY had the most public holidays because of some holiday that is only observed in that city, while also having all the religious days. I just trusted them. Bloody lying gits!

Just curious, but do you pay Church tax in Berlin too Danie? Or is that just a Bavaria thing?
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Really? I never thought to google it, but people in Augsburg claimed THEY had the most public holidays because of some holiday that is only observed in that city, while also having all the religious days. I just trusted them. Bloody lying gits!

Just curious, but do you pay Church tax in Berlin too Danie? Or is that just a Bavaria thing?
                              That could by true, but i think Bayern has a couple less holidays than Baden-Wurttenberg. I'd have to look!

Comment

Working...
                              X