This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LGBTA or not?

I was having this conversation with a friend and we failed to reach an agreement.

In the UK, it tends to be LGBT. In the US of A, I don't know but I think it GLBT. Correct me if I'm wrong. For those who don't know:

L - Lesbian
    G - Gay
    B - Bisexual
    T - Transgender / transsexual / transvestite / third-genderd (depends who you ask,)
    A - Asexual / aromantic / anrdo (depends who you ask. Some think Andro comes under the T bracket, others don't)
    Q - Questioning / queer (again, depends who you ask)
    P - Pansexual / pollysexual ( you guessed it)

Currently, there is a push to add Asexual to it. I tend to add the A as I identify as Gay and Asexual but many don't want it. Some people want all the letters in, with multiples for multiple meanings but that would make it LGBTTTTAAAQQPP (or LGBT4A3Q2P2) which is just getting silly. Others want the T out as being Trans tends to be about gender not sexuality.

Our topic of argument was basically, does it matter? I mean, we know what it means and a vast majority of people just assume LGBT (or GLBT) means all sexuality and identities anyway so do we really need the extra letters? Do we need the A or the T or do we keep both or drop both / one?

Basically, does it matter as we all know what is means?

Re: LGBTA or not?

omg I don't give a flying gay pride flag. Why not call it abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My fave is a friend that calls it the QUILTBAG (Queer, Undecided, Lesbian, Transgender/Transexual, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay). But most people here call it LGBT.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        My fave is a friend that calls it the QUILTBAG (Queer, Undecided, Lesbian, Transgender/Transexual, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay). But most people here call it LGBT.
        You missed the "I". I'm guessing it stands for Incest perhaps...?
        [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          Interspecies maybe?

Although I am bisexual so fall under the LGBT umbrella anyway, I find this discriminatory to heterosexuals. Why can't they have a letter?
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I always screw it up. It always comes out GBLT. I don't care if my bacon's gay, it still tastes good.

Seriously, though, I think if it's going to get so complicated that the acronym has to include pansexual, asexual, omnisexual, incest-friendly, interspecies, necrophiliacs, etc & so forth, people should probably dispense with the alphabet soup altogether.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

Intersex
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I just say LGBT or queer.
                People get kind of off the wall about it.

selume proferre

Comment

I don't think it matters. We need a group that looks out for everyone when it comes to orientation, sex, and gender - not a group that separates heterosexuals from everyone else. Splits never solve anything.
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Even before I realised my 'type' has nothing to do with gender, so thought I was exclusively gay, I never understood the kind of sub-culture people have created. Please, by all means be comfortable and open about your sexuality, have clubs and events specifically aimed at GLBT because it is easier to meet a partner that way, but why identify as gay or whatever, as though that is all you are? It seemed to me that the GLBT communities that I accessed, deliberately segragated themselves. Integration is the fasted way to acceptance. Everyone I know is aware I am bisexual, but even when I had female partners, it never defined me. I like to stand out and be different. I love that I have a style that can't be placed in a box, but my sexuality is nothing to do with any of that. It drives me nuts.. 'oh hi, I'm *** and I'm gay, haha.. pleased to meet you..' ah sod off and get a real identity...

Sorry, I'm I in the wrong room? I thought the sign on the door said rants... Gosh I'm crabby when I'm overtired...
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

It used to be lgbtq predominantly in the states but i see it being said more often as glbtq or just glbt nowadays.

Personally i tend to just consider everyone in that group except straight trans folks queer. Simplifies my life.
                      Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

^ I'm so tempted to steal your sig idea. I have serious typing issues on this stupid little phone. I'm sure people must think I'm dyslexic or just always drunk when I post!

Comment

Go on then. Makes it so much easier when fjgkgkf sjdhfjgjg fgkgsjhwirj
                          Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Wondering View Post
                            Go on then. Makes it so much easier when fjgkgkf sjdhfjgjg fgkgsjhwirj
                            Hahaha. Well, if you ever find yourself in need of writing, 'girls are made of magic' in Japanese, feel free to borrow mine too! ^^

Comment

LGBT is ridiculous, always said so. The only reason that it exists is because people take offense to terms like queer and sexual minority.

I have never really cared for political correctness, words are not bad people! Context matters, tone matters, intent matters.

As an aside, in before ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
                              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
                              X