A big can of worms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A big can of worms...

I just don't like the use of a qualifier to distinguish one marriage from another. Hooking your boat trailer up to the back of your truck is a marriage. Welding a platform onto an I-beam is a marriage. Two people each vow to be together? Marriage.

In that respect, no. I don't want additional categories, ie; Gay marriage, same-sex marriage, open-marriage... blah, blah, blah. The legal description of marriage should match it's meaning. It's simply a unification. Why does anyone else have any say about WHO gets married, what to call them, or what makes a human a specifically ACCEPTABLE person?

Ass in nine!!

/opine

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      I think it should. I also think polygamy should too though. If all parties are adults and agree.
      Unlike with same sex marriage, I can understand the argument against polygamy. Not from a moral stand point mind you but from a legal one. Remember, whenever you talk about marriage, you must consider the other side of the coin, divorce. Think of how complicated and heated divorce proceedings can get between two people. Now picture it with three or more. How about you decide custody, ownership, etc, when you have three or more people involved? Or have situations where a person divorces one member while staying married to another. The whole thing would be a legal clusterfuck.
      Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

I am so dissapointed with this thread, I was promised worms!
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          Apologies Denarius, here is a nice can of worms for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LT-can-of-worms-art-420x0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	351496

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
            Unlike with same sex marriage, I can understand the argument against polygamy. Not from a moral stand point mind you but from a legal one. Remember, whenever you talk about marriage, you must consider the other side of the coin, divorce. Think of how complicated and heated divorce proceedings can get between two people. Now picture it with three or more. How about you decide custody, ownership, etc, when you have three or more people involved? Or have situations where a person divorces one member while staying married to another. The whole thing would be a legal clusterfuck.
            Basically my husband and I have discussed this. You would have to have an extensive prenup or legal agreement before you did this. Considering the religion is usually the reasoning for polygamy how many really divorce or how are they handled now? I realize baby steps are needed and gay marriage would have to come first and really be established before this is even considered.

Comment

It's already legal where I live. I'm glad about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
              ^ Agreed, sort of. In the Uk a civil partnership is, for all intents and purposes, a marriage. Having to give it a different name to keep a minority of people happy is, IMO, ridiculous. Either call it a marriage, or call all legally recognised unions a civil partnership!
              I agree with this too. Germany does the same thing, and it's to keep a MINORITY of people happy, as people belonging to a specific religious denomination are a minority in Germany, and people who are THAT STRICT about it are a minority within that minority. Unfortunately (for many other reasons other than this), those people make up a majority of the government :/

I don't live here, but I'm in Canada right now. Canada legalized gay marriage (as marriage, and not another name) a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                I agree with this too. Germany does the same thing, and it's to keep a MINORITY of people happy, as people belonging to a specific religious denomination are a minority in Germany, and people who are THAT STRICT about it are a minority within that minority. Unfortunately (for many other reasons other than this), those people make up a majority of the government :/
                You haven't been to Bavaria have you? I was warned by my landlord not to make too public a thing of the fact I am not Christian. I'm not sure if it is only in Bavaria, or all of Germany, but I know I had to pay a compulsary percentage of my wages to the Catholic church. Compared to the UK, Christianity was very visible where I was staying. I understand that it's different in Berlin, but I wonder if it is because of the Christian influence of some areas, that the laws on gay marriage can't be relaxed further? I often wonder, if I'd still be in Germany, had I moved to Berlin and not Augsburg...
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  What's really weird is that there's such complete agreement. That almost never happens around PF here, or with Pagans, or even just people.

It's distressingly wonderful to see.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                    What's really weird is that there's such complete agreement. That almost never happens around PF here, or with Pagans, or even just people.

It's distressingly wonderful to see.
                    That's because I haven't posted in this thread!
                    [4:82]

Comment

Working...
                    X