Taboo for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taboo for you?

I'd like to discuss what i have found many to believe as a taboo in the practice of magic, the use of blood.

i have met many people who view the use of blood as evil, many others would just rather not or prefer rituals that don't require it.
    In my particular practice, it is seen as just one of the many things physical, mental and spiritual that generate a powerful sacrifice or catalyst for spell-work.

I suppose its a curiosity but if anyone wishes to share their opinion on this matter i would love to see other views
    When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the force simply gets redirected and the object wins

Re: Taboo for you?

Blood itself doesn't bother me in principle. However, as someone employed in health care, I know all too well how many blood borne infections there are and y'know, some of those can kill. Free love used to be a great philosophy before we discovered HIV and how it spreads. Nowadays, I think it's best to keep our bodily fluids to ourselves.

Used in solitary practice, well, how do you get the blood? Cut yourself? Sounds a lil' too emoish to want anything like that in my practice. Being a female, I do have access to my own 'moon flow', and I'd work with that symbolically during menstrus, but I don't feel the need to dump a load of the actual goo on my altar. That would probably take me right back to my first point about infections not being cool!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I don't really see any issues with the use of blood in ritual, so long as it's done safely. I personally do not use blood too often, but a few drops of my own blood (through the prick of a clean pin) for use in ritual, for a tool blessing, or such isn't unheard of.
      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Safety is definitely the word! A really sensible way of doing this safely, would be to buy one of those glucose monitor pens. The needles are aseptic and can be disposed of in a sharps bin and they're pretty cheap to buy over the counter! I used to (not safely), use blood in my teens, but I also self-harmed, so this wasn't a clever spiritual move for me. The last time I added blood to a spell, was for my witches' bottle, which is still burried in my mum's yard!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

/shrug

It's just another sacrificial offering to me. If I'm working with an entity that wants blood, that's what I give 'em. For me, it's mostly been from chickens, but sometimes from beef, goats or myself.

Since I live in the middle of a city now, and don't have the opportunity to hunt or butcher my own food, all my offerings have been mange sec (a dry feeding - without blood or meat).
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Blood, semen, faeces, ear wax, chamber lye... all quite traditional and really not a problem unless you have to hurt others or deceive them in order to get it. Personally though, I don't find it necessary in my own magical methods.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Great topic!

I never used blood in ritual and idk if I would.

I see nothing wrong with it actually. I kind of view blood like this. Blood is spirits gift to us, its what keeps us alive, its like our own personal sap like a tree would have

Ive used urine in a witches bottle once but found it to be gross! so I redid the spell lmao.... anywho I dont see blood as a bad because its a natural part of the body, and its the liquid of life, the blood is what keeps our vessel alive. Anywho blessed be !

Comment

Jembru makes a good point on the sanitation and safety. in reference to a ritual i am in possession of, it is said to be very powerful, and sometimes dangerous if not done right. it requires all participants to ingest a small amount of each others blood. however, the blood in question is first added to water and boiled over flame, does this perhaps kill impurities that may be in the blood?
                When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the force simply gets redirected and the object wins

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  /shrug

It's just another sacrificial offering to me. If I'm working with an entity that wants blood, that's what I give 'em. For me, it's mostly been from chickens, but sometimes from beef, goats or myself.

Since I live in the middle of a city now, and don't have the opportunity to hunt or butcher my own food, all my offerings have been mange sec (a dry feeding - without blood or meat).
                  Yar be warned. An atheist is speaking

Ok. Because I'm a non believer to the bone.. I am very curious. Why would something that created the universe need some specie's bodily fluid? Is this more for the human? Because I'm always curious how all knowing bad ass mamas of the universe need anything from us. In the end isn't it really deep down inside just something we do to make us feel closer to a deity we have no idea is real? The idea of self delusion bugs me and makes me side eye. But like I said, this is merely a non believer's opinion looking in. I don't really know the reasons but can only guess. Please don't take offense. I just don't have the time to say it all in nice long non offensive paragraphs. Know what I mean Perz?
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I have used urine, spit and blood. My husband is diabetic and I use his old sticker thing. It's pretty sanitary and only a drop or two is needed.

Comment

Found an old folk hex once that involved a pile of poo.... pretty disgusting to do the spell though.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Ok. Because I'm a non believer to the bone.. I am very curious. Why would something that created the universe need some specie's bodily fluid? Is this more for the human? Because I'm always curious how all knowing bad ass mamas of the universe need anything from us. In the end isn't it really deep down inside just something we do to make us feel closer to a deity we have no idea is real? The idea of self delusion bugs me and makes me side eye. But like I said, this is merely a non believer's opinion looking in. I don't really know the reasons but can only guess. Please don't take offense. I just don't have the time to say it all in nice long non offensive paragraphs. Know what I mean Perz?
                        Perhaps because the blood is for other supernatural entities rather than the divine? Often I hear its use in reference to spirits and the like. But then, I'm not deep into ritual so another's insight would probably be deeper.

Perz, have you thought of buying blood from a butcher? I know I've heard of people being able to buy blood from a butcher to make blood pudding and the like. Is that somehow not pure or something?
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I think most pagans don't think of their deities as the big bad thing that created the universe. I know that's the case for me...even "big guys" like Odin? A concept that took on a life of it's own. Most mythologies don't even worship the original founding creatures, but their offspring, often multiple generations down. Closer to the amazing power Santa has over our culture for 2-3 months out of the year. That's a deity, ladies and gentlemen.

I have found that some beings I've been dealing with don't care about blood, or even abhor it (L has been slowly working into investigating Shinto, and in very purity-oriented practices, even something like body odor can be a huge no-no).

I've had some experiences with more...elementally oriented beings, though, like Jotun. Blood is preferred, for what seem like rather primal reasons.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I hear what you are saying. But I'm still not connecting logic with it. I would assume the offspring of the deities are still better then humans? I just have a hard time when I see images of the universe (of what we can see so far) and see that little speck off in the distant suburbs of the universe. And inside that little speck is just our galaxy. And inside that little speck is our solar system. And inside that little speck is our planet. And inside that little speck is one species. And deities need stuff from us. My brain will never understand it. And I'm very glad about that fact.

I keep coming up with two conclusions.
                            1 is that people actually believe it as fact that deities would need something from us. With that perspective in play.
                            2 is that people know not to think too hard on it or else they'd feel silly. And give into consensual blind eyeing of these fact because it makes them feel better about their life. Gives them purpose. Eases their fears.

Which I think is a very normal thing to feel honestly. I think I just can't wrap my mind around it. Like Santa. I love him. I celebrate him. I am his number one fan and he makes me happy. But I am completely aware it's a lie. So I always wonder aware/not aware. That's the interesting part of a religous person to me. Their awareness level of the stuff they choose to believe.

meh. I rambled on. Sorry. Wrong thread!
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

"And the camels and cattle We have appointed for you as among the symbols of Allah; for you therein is good. So mention the name of Allah upon them when lined up [for sacrifice]; and when they are [lifeless] on their sides, then eat from them and feed the needy and the beggar. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may be grateful. Their meat will not reach Allah, nor will their blood, but what reaches Him is piety from you. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and give good tidings to the doers of good." [22:36-37]
                              [4:82]

Comment

Working...
                              X