Taboo for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taboo for you?

In Hoodoo personal concerns can be used to work potent magicks. Blood and other bodily fluids and secretions are all good for different things and I don't have any problem using them I would however never collect another persons concerns secretly(unless I was jinxing them and that's an unlikelihood), and I always handle personal concerns with care(I work at a hospital and know the potential medical dangers). I also knew a Dianic who worked with menstrual blood. For me the use of blood in ritual seems natural, vital and potent, It definitely doesn't bother me but I would certainly need a good reason to be doing it, it's definitely not an average Thursday night for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      1 is that people actually believe it as fact that deities would need something from us.
      I don't think sacrifice is about giving deities something they need, it's about showing or proving them something. Like what Dumuzi was saying. What matters in a sacrifice is not that which is sacrificed but the act of sacrificing in itself.

The value is not on what the deity gains, but on what the follower loses. In other words a piece of bread from a starving man is worth more than a dozen loaves from a baker.

Superman doesn't NEED to eat. It doesn't benefit him in any way, he gets his energy from the yellow sun not from food, but he eats anyway.

Then again, as a fantasy nerd, I would like to point to the old belief angle. That that's what deities REALLY need from us. There's a trope or two on this.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Why would something that created the universe need some specie's bodily fluid? Is this more for the human? Because I'm always curious how all knowing bad ass mamas of the universe need anything from us.
        I've never given blood as an offering to the Gods (I use it in other ways), but speaking generally on offerings... I don't believe Gods really need anything from us, but that they (may) appreciate what we give. It shows that we remember them, that we are thankful, that we wish to have a relationship that is beyond one-sided taking. It's sort of like gift giving with friends. Truthfully, I didn't need anything that was given to me at my birthday, but I sure enjoyed the gifts, and the thought that went into them meant a lot to me. There's also a cycle there... I'll give back to them, and they'll give to me again, etc. Not always limited to physical gifts, but help, advice, friendship, and so on.

I also think there can be elements involved in offerings that are more for the human than the deity involved. The offerings I give at my kitchen shine, and the way that I give them, help me to understand particular aspects about a deity - but the offering in general also goes back to the last paragraph there. Or, a group offering, a little of the offering is given to the God(s), and the rest is shared with the followers present. There's a community building aspect to that shared ritual/meal. Both with the humans present, and with the deity as well.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
          "And the camels and cattle We have appointed for you as among the symbols of Allah; for you therein is good. So mention the name of Allah upon them when lined up [for sacrifice]; and when they are [lifeless] on their sides, then eat from them and feed the needy and the beggar. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may be grateful. Their meat will not reach Allah, nor will their blood, but what reaches Him is piety from you. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and give good tidings to the doers of good." [22:36-37]
          Thanks. This actually clears things up quite a lot.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Ok. Because I'm a non believer to the bone.. I am very curious. Why would something that created the universe need some specie's bodily fluid? Is this more for the human? Because I'm always curious how all knowing bad ass mamas of the universe need anything from us. In the end isn't it really deep down inside just something we do to make us feel closer to a deity we have no idea is real? The idea of self delusion bugs me and makes me side eye. But like I said, this is merely a non believer's opinion looking in. I don't really know the reasons but can only guess. Please don't take offense. I just don't have the time to say it all in nice long non offensive paragraphs. Know what I mean Perz?
            I never thought I'd find myself completely agreeing with any scripture, but what Dumuzi posted:

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
            "And the camels and cattle We have appointed for you as among the symbols of Allah; for you therein is good. So mention the name of Allah upon them when lined up [for sacrifice]; and when they are [lifeless] on their sides, then eat from them and feed the needy and the beggar. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may be grateful. Their meat will not reach Allah, nor will their blood, but what reaches Him is piety from you. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and give good tidings to the doers of good." [22:36-37]
            puts everything so much nicer than I could have. From a religious perspective, usually when a deity or spiritual entity asks for a sacrifice, it's a show of devotion. Blood is life, so blood is a precious substance.

Even though I was a bit flippant by saying blood is 'just another sacrificial offering', there's really no such thing as 'just another...' in this case. The taking of a life or shedding of blood is serious business. When you make a sacrifice, you are making the object of sacrifice sacred, removing it from the mundane and elevating it to a higher status. By offering the sacred item to a God or a spiritual entity, you are telling yourself that this is not just a chicken, it's binding you and the deity or spirit together. In some cases, like with Jesus or Dionysus, the God is the one making the sacrifice to us. We give Them our devotion, They give us Their lives.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            Perz, have you thought of buying blood from a butcher? I know I've heard of people being able to buy blood from a butcher to make blood pudding and the like. Is that somehow not pure or something?
            Most of the animal sacrifices I've made have been from animals I've bought live or hunted. I do offer up some of my store-bought groceries, lol, but for a blood or flesh sacrifice... I don't know how that store-bought animal was raised or treated, or how it died. Sacrificial animals should be healthy, and their death shouldn't be one surrounded by fear or confusion or needless pain. If I need something bad enough to warrant buying & caring for a goat, it's definitely going to be something worth doing right.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I've used blood before and don't have a problem with it, but I only use it in very personal spells and rituals directly related to myself. Usually I just waited until I was naturally bleeding anyway (I sew and tend to prick myself sometimes, and I also have a horrible habit of picking at hangnails). If it wasn't convenient, I used my hair, but I like the symbolism of blood. It's just really personal.

Comment

I've never found blood or sacrifice to be necessary in energy workings. Perhaps some people find it a more powerful prop in their work, but in my eyes that's just what it is- a prop. Not a crucial factor.

I'm sure others disagree with me, but that's just my 2 cents.

Comment

I've never actually used blood, but as long as nobody's getting hurt I don't care. I once attempted to cut my arm to give a blood offering during a Beltaine ritual (although in hindsight I doubt Aphrodite cares for blood), but found that my athame wasn't sharp enough to draw blood. It left a pretty cool scar, though.

I once used urine and feces during a hexing ritual, though. And no, I didn't touch either substance.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                  X