Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic rifles, when would their non-military use be warranted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic rifles, when would their non-military use be warranted?

I've heard (Variations of) this question a lot, and it has me legitimately curious. Be as outlandish as you need to.

First things that comes to mind: Bearmageddon, or any other large scale animal uprising.

Potentially any disaster large enough to seriously destabilize the government/infrastructure could make them at the very least useful... until you run out of bullets anyway.

Any situation in which there is no military.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Re: Automatic rifles, when would their non-military use be warranted?

Essentially, automatic weapons are a bad choice for anybody who does not have a large support structure behind them. They are not especially accurate when operating at full throttle, and go through ammo at an astonishing rate. Unless you have a good supply of ammo (20 -30,000 rounds) you are much better off with a bolt action rifle, and good hiding places in pretty much any situation - except a full on fire fight.

The Swiss philosophy works best: one bullet = one life
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What about suppressive fire?
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        What about suppressive fire?
        Again, only if you have the support structure behind you.

Otherwise, shoot from hiding, and disappear into the woodwork...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Zombies. A mob of zombies.

But when the ZA goes down, I'd prefer to have a Devil's Paintbrush at my disposal.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            But when the ZA goes down, I'd prefer to have a Devil's Paintbrush at my disposal.
            Ok, now I have to ask... What's a Devil's Paintbrush?
            http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I don't think any type of automatic rifle would be particularly effective against zombies, unless they were those living zombies. (Which are actually ghouls as far as I am concerned.)

I'd put the likelihood of getting a proper headshot at less than one in four, and that's with extensive training. If there was a zombie apocalypse, I'd save my clips for raiders.

Comment

As Corbin pointed out; there is no real usefulness of handheld automatic weapons. Very inaccurate and wasteful.

Semi-auto is another story... But like Corbin, I love my bolt
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Never. Totally unnecessary.

Comment

World record for most bullets fired.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      Never. Totally unnecessary.
                      But a ridiculous amount of fun.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        But a ridiculous amount of fun.
                        that is certainly true.
                        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Having done target shooting and being familiar with automatic weapons from the service I would have to agree with B. De. about them. A waste of ammo unless as you said suppressive fire. Hide and shoot makes sense because if you do rapid fire you become a max target. As for automatic weapons in civilian hands perhaps no unless the person was trained and understands their drawbacks and their positive traits and uses them with caution. A bolt or semi automatic rifle or handgun makes more sense,and it would be a good skill if one knew how to do reloading.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

not for real: zombie apocalypse and pruning the hedges

for real: for fun
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              not for real: zombie apocalypse and pruning the hedges

for real: for fun
                              Monk & I cleared a 300 yard shooting range with mostly bolts, but it took months of hard work...

Fun is my favorite excuse!

Comment

Working...
                              X