Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic rifles, when would their non-military use be warranted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Automatic rifles, when would their non-military use be warranted?

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
    Okay. Now, would that still work in something, say, the size of the above shown oiler? And since it's zombies we're talking about, and not people, will the sludge ferment into more of an oil base, than an alcohol base?

I'm thinking of modifying an oiler to double as a sort of pressure cooker for conveniently turning zombies (alive or dead, doesn't matter) into fuel for the Wisconsin. The process would be sealed, for the most part, reducing the foul odor issue to a great extent. It's just the volatility and viscosity of the end product that I'm more concerned about.

I need to know the efficacy! Who's up for some experiments?
    I think its viable...here's why:

A team of engineers are trying to mimic the process in nature that forms crude oil with marine organisms, and have developed a method to pressure cook algae and turn it into crude

the problem is the smell... http://www.chem.info/News/2010/04/Pl...a-Clean-Start/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
      Okay. Now, would that still work in something, say, the size of the above shown oiler? And since it's zombies we're talking about, and not people, will the sludge ferment into more of an oil base, than an alcohol base?

I'm thinking of modifying an oiler to double as a sort of pressure cooker for conveniently turning zombies (alive or dead, doesn't matter) into fuel for the Wisconsin. The process would be sealed, for the most part, reducing the foul odor issue to a great extent. It's just the volatility and viscosity of the end product that I'm more concerned about.

I need to know the efficacy! Who's up for some experiments?
      If it doesn't have a release valve dont you get a zombie goo explosion?I think that the smell is going to be a problem, and that it nees to be isolated, like really isolated, like floating island surrounded by sharks isolated... If it turns out alcohol based, it could probably be processed like ethanol.
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

So, that signed, sealed and delivered isolation of a floating oiler, and pressure cooker, kicking out 2-300 barrels of oil per day, could only, realistically refuel an Iowa class, probably, just once every three months, or so. Not good enough. I think it's got to hit higher production levels, maybe up to 300+% better.

Still, that leaves crews and ammo to yet to find and acquire. (Ammo - I wonder if volkswagons would work.) Oh! And landing parties, to restock the beer and pretzels.

Maybe, some well armed guards for the zombie farms? Where fodder is collected for the floating pressure cooker.

There's also a major concern, I have, regarding supplies of rounds for each and every person to keep their full automatics full. A wave of 150 zombies and nothing but empty magazines and clips can be kind of disheartening.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Reserve full auto for squad weapons, full auto rifles tend to climb and f accuracy anyway. Train the rest of your teams for accuracy and have them using 3 round burst instead. Also, armored vehichles. Zombies aren't gonna be using explosives so you can get away with things that you really shouldn't do against human opposition and roadkill creation doesn't burn bullets.
          Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Reserve full auto for squad weapons, full auto rifles tend to climb and f accuracy anyway. Train the rest of your teams for accuracy and have them using 3 round burst instead. Also, armored vehichles. Zombies aren't gonna be using explosives so you can get away with things that you really shouldn't do against human opposition and roadkill creation doesn't burn bullets.
            I am personally fond of the "one shot, one kill" rule. Most people cannot manage that, though and should be doing other tasks. Anyone with a strong arm could be counted on to be able to back up with some full auto if nessecary, and poor shots are much better used as ammo carriers/reloaders anyway. It never hurts to have an assistant gunner, and panickers should not be allowed to handle firearms anyway, (though I imagine if you are very panicky you won't last long anyway.)
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
            X