X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ash Wednesday - Explain and Discuss

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    OK, I give up.

Obviously, you are unfit to be a Catholic. It's people like you that made the last Pope quit (does he get unemployment, I wonders?).

Try being a pagan instead - you can just make stuff up...

(Purple Rubber Ducky?)
    Sorry :P I was just expressing my confusion regarding the holiday, the whole ashes thing is new to me so it was unusual. I also couldn't understand why I needed them.

*I was looking for something to put in the box, to see if it worked, and for some reason or another purple rubber duckies were on my mind, also, says "the Gerbil of Reality....."

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
    I moved these posts from the 'Thinking Thread' here because I know that there are more people wondering about this. Some of us are former Catholics so I figured, why not have it's own thread to explain and discuss this particular practice rather than derailing the existing topic.

Now, that said... here's a short explanation from the wiki page. And yes, I know the stigma with wiki... but it's better than not knowing anything, or worse yet, not doing a search yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday
    That actually made some sense, The general reason I got from the people sporting ashes was "because we are supposed to." which confused me.

Also I am sorry for derailing the thinking thread!
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Not gonna lie, I've never seen someone walk around with ashes on their forehead.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        Not gonna lie, I've never seen someone walk around with ashes on their forehead.
        I was totally the odd person without ashes yesterday. I work in a Catholic hospital, I guess it's to be expected.

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          Same here, but I've always wanted to.

Comment

I come from a catholic country and I've never heard about putting ashes in the forehead...
            "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan View Post
              I come from a catholic country and I've never heard about putting ashes in the forehead...
              I shall have to take photos next year then...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan View Post
                I grew up in a small town of about 2k population, in Germany. I think about 75%+ of the inhabitants were Catholic - my family included - and this was very much a prevalent thing there. However, maybe culture plays a role in this particular practice.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

My first encounter with this was at work,a fellow worker had the ashes on their forehead and my response was "You have something just there,and said I can clean that for you" That brought a response of NO!!!! don't touch it,and an explanation of why they had it there. So,it was something very new for me to understand.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                    I shall have to take photos next year then...
                    "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

Working...
                    X