Ever eat a horse? Probably.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever eat a horse? Probably.

Has anybody been following the horse meat scandal sweeping the EU?

If not, here it is in a nutshell - horse meat was found in some 100% beef patties and frozen lasagna in the UK. Now, it's being found in processed meat products all across Europe. Burger King imported meat patties from Europe, and found horse meat in them to.

Horse meat won't hurt you, but people don't especially want to eat it, and 100% beef shouldn't have horses in it (100% beef also includes pig, which might upset Jewish folks).

My advice to my friends in Europe is this: if you don't want to eat horse, avoid any form of meat that doesn't have a pedigree, and papers.

Bon appetite!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Ever eat a horse? Probably.

Does not really surprise me,anything to make more money and screw the public. Maybe lucky it wasn't Soylent Green!
    Last edited by anunitu; 19 Feb 2013, 09:25.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've eaten horse, didn't taste especially notable. Tasted like meat. I've never eaten A horse though.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I suppose the issue here isn't the act of harvesting or selling horse meat, more that it was sold under false pretenses.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

The problem is not the pedigree of meat and the papers, the problem is the papers were falsified by meat producers! So on first sight, the papers looked ok just when the authorities started to investigate they found they were forged. Now, we also found meat horse here in Portugal in lasagnas. Regarding the horse meat itself, its just as a cultural thing. We do not eat horse meat as we see them more like pets you know...not for selling the meat.
          "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

I like horsemeat. But I also like to know what I'm eating. Or who.

In general, when it comes to food, people don't like surprises. And if they've falsified bills of lading & whatnot about horsemeat, it makes people start to wonder what else they've unknowingly been eating.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It's likely I've never had it. But I also haven't ever eaten beef in the UK, and I haven't had red meat at all in 6 years.

Mostly art.

Comment

It's highly likely I've eaten horse meat without knowing it (I likes me a Burger King burger). I have to say, as a meat eater, eating horse meat doesn't bother me. Eating horse meat when I have chosen to eat beef bothers me.
                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

It would not surprise me if we have that here in the U.S. after the whole pink slime thing.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I dont know how I feel about it, I like knowing what I am eating, but I don't have the same food allergies some people do. I don't know that horse meat is an allergy, but lying on the ingredients matters, and should not be done. We have laws about it here in the US, I don't know if there is an overarching law in europe involving food standards. I would eat horse meat to try it and if I decided I liked it I would likely not mind eating it, it is being told about it that matters.
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      I like horsemeat. But I also like to know what I'm eating. Or who.

In general, when it comes to food, people don't like surprises. And if they've falsified bills of lading & whatnot about horsemeat, it makes people start to wonder what else they've unknowingly been eating.
                      That's the thing - the big question becomes: If horse meat (and pork) are getting into the food supply masquerading as beef, what else might be in there - today, or in the future?
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Exactly. There are community rules in EU that every country has to obey and employ, combining with rules from each individual country. Eating horse meat is not a custom here, so thats why the big discussion around this subject. First, people like to know what in fact they are eating but also in the majority of countries in EU eating horse meat is almost unthinkable as we never saw horses in that way, at least that is my idea from what I know about the different cultures in EU.
                        "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

I don't mind eating horse, but I'd like to know that I'm eating it. And I hate being lied to. When it says 100% beef, or whatever it may be, I'd like for it to be 100%. Not even 99%. Screw that.

Comment

I grind my own beef, you can do it in a regular food processor. Even without the grinder attachment. It's pretty much the only way you can be reasonably sure there's no filler meat in your mince. You can also control the amount of fat that goes into it, and what cuts are used.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              I grind my own beef, you can do it in a regular food processor. Even without the grinder attachment. It's pretty much the only way you can be reasonably sure there's no filler meat in your mince. You can also control the amount of fat that goes into it, and what cuts are used.
                              Well, unless you own a reasonable amount of land and kill and slaughter your own cattle, you probably get your beef from a butcher or grocery store.

What if the supermarket or butcher is labeling something else as beef? How do you know your supermarket is being honest about their products? Fast food joints always take the heat for stuff like this nowadays, but in the past there were concerns about the wide variety of animal products (and the quality of said animal products) sold by butchers.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X