Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ever eat a horse? Probably.

Can anybody say "Sweeney Todd"?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I know what quality cuts of beef look, smell, and taste like. That and my family has history with the butcher shop and its owner. Besides, you can't exactly hide filler meat in a cut of meat. That's not to say that the meat can't be tampered with, mislabeled, or otherwise made to be less than it should be.

You just need to educate yourself on butchery and food handling/safety.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        Besides, you can't exactly hide filler meat in a cut of meat.
        How about a little transglutaminase (aka meat glue) with your prime rib?
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Somehow my brain just totally butchered "Ever Eat" to "Beaver".

I'd try both, Horse and Beaver if it was an option.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I'm tempted to say I've eaten beaver before, but I'm afraid people might misunderstand me.

Not that they'd be entirely wrong in any case.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Meat glue is not filler meat, those are completely different things. It does however fall neatly into the realm of tampering with meat, which I acknowledged.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

The thought of eating horse is way out of my paradigm....there are some horses who I consider to be family.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  The thought of eating horse is way out of my paradigm....there are some horses who I consider to be family.
                  I find this perspective interesting. A lot of people are appalled by the use of dog meat in Asian cuisine because, to many of us, dogs are pets - friends or comparable to children, even. I love all animals and my dogs are probably as close to having a son and daughter as I'll ever get. However, I would have no qualms about eating dog meat (for whatever reason). If someone's pet had been stolen and cooked up that would be absolutely horrible, of course, but supposing, say, dogs that were set to be euthanized were taken from shelters and used for food (humanely, of course), I would consider that to be okay. At least then the dogs' lives were not pointless, and personally I don't consider a dog's, cat's, or horse's life to be any more or less meaningful than a deer's or cow's, at least not because of their species. If the individual animal is a friend to someone, that's one thing. If it isn't, then it has no less potential as a food source than any other harvested meat product.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

That is the line I draw, I won't eat a friend, and I would have some trouble eating someone else's friend.
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I respect other people's dietary preferences, etc., and to get back to the original story - I think it's appalling that ANY food be mislabeled or misrepresented. It's the same problem that's going on with GMO foods, etc. You really just don't know what you're getting unless you grew it yourself. At the root of the entire problem - our constant companion, Corporate Greed.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It looks like the same thing is going on with fish, especially sushi:

Is that actually snapper?
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                        X