Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amish hate crimes?

Well, what do you know?

Everybody's favorite peaceful religion, the Amish, have decided to join in with the rest of the 21st century and indulge in hate crimes against folks who don't agree with them. In this case, according to the article, an authoritarian Amish group is running around cutting the beards off people who defied their leader. There is also the suggestion of some secret sexy shenanigans, although the article doesn't go into details.

Damn them! Why don't they just go on a shooting rampage like everybody else?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Amish hate crimes?

If anyone, Amish or otherwise, comes near my beard I will rip off his balls.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Interesting. Further proof IMO that the harder you crack down, the more really creepy stuff comes wiggling up all around the edges.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

If I had a beard, I'd start carrying a machete. Ain't nobody gonna get between me and my theoretical facial hair. Ain't nobody​.

Comment

Are the Amish pacifists, or do they just eschew technology, or both?
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Are the Amish pacifists, or do they just eschew technology, or both?
            I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's both.

Just checked - yes, and conscientious objectors as well.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

this has got to be the "nicest" hate crime I have ever read about... at least no one got lynched... I mean its still bad, but 8 years for the "shavening" seems a wee bit excessive...
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well, the beard is important in Amish culture. Married men are not supposed to cut their beards, and so it's some kind of huge insult to shave someone.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Well, the beard is important in Amish culture. Married men are not supposed to cut their beards, and so it's some kind of huge insult to shave someone.
                  I get that, I just think that as far as hate crimes go, there are worse people to deal with...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm sorry, the ringleader's last name is 'Mullet' and I just can't take him seriously as a terrorist.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

And, not to mention, the visually imagined scene in which the bearded Mullets grapple and shave some other Amish guy (a Yoder?) is filled with comedic possibilities... Mel Brooks would have a riot with it.

Comment

Really this kinda bothers me because I have always considered the Amish as so peaceful and nice. But every belief does tend to sometimes breed people that think they have something better for you even though you don't want it. These people tried to force something on the others. That to me is very sad.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          And, not to mention, the visually imagined scene in which the bearded Mullets grapple and shave some other Amish guy (a Yoder?) is filled with comedic possibilities... Mel Brooks would have a riot with it.
                          Yes, this is exactly what I struggled with this morning, and I couldn't get past it.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I used to live in the middle of Amish territory here in Iowa. Literally had Amish communities within five minutes of my hometown. They have just as many problems as everyone else does. They're just so far outside regular society that no one ever really investigates them.

I had a friend who lived about half a mile from an Amish family and often played with their children, they told her how they were molested at home, in vague terms because they didn't really know what they were talking about. Words like rape, molestation, or even penis and vagina are like forbidden.

And there are always the rumors of sex acts with animals. That's not to say the whole community is corrupt, but they do have the occasional folks with big problems.

Also, they have a high number of disable children from inbreeding. This is slowly being corrected by a nationwide exchange program.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I met and spoke with a good number of Amish folks when I lived in Iowa. Beliefs and traditions aside, they're quite definitely just regular PEOPLE. Mostly kind and thoughtful but peppered with the same manner of prejudices and bigotry as the rest of the world. As aloof as everyone seems to treat, or at least consider them, they aren't.

Just people going about doing things differently. In some ways better and in some ways worse, all depending on your [cultural] perspective.

A hate crime? This isn't new. But reporting on it, or even knowing about it TO report on it, is rather out of the ordinary.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X