Welcome to Jurassic Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Jurassic Park

Scientists have brought an extinct species of frog back to life, just like in Jurassic Park. And not only that, it barfs babies.

Extinct Frog Cloned: Amphibian Embryos From 'Mouth-Birthing' Species Grown In Lab

When they learn to do pterodactyls, I'm going to want one...

P.S. - be sure to read the comments. They are always the best part -

You call it the Lazerus project, yet you scientists deny that God exists and fail to acknowledge Him as the creator. You try to act like God...perhaps you should actully read the Bible and see what happened to the last people who tried to be like God...you might want to rethink your error.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Welcome to Jurassic Park

First off...OMG, HELLA COOL!

...second of all, where the hell do these things live? If its a conservation project....what do we do assuming we can create an adult breeding population with enough genetic variability to be functional? Most species go extinct because of habitat loss and degradation.

Look, I'm one of the first people to say "BRING BACK MARTHA! LONG LIVE THE PASSENGER PIGEON!!" But realistically, what the heck do we do with them once they are here?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      First off...OMG, HELLA COOL!

...second of all, where the hell do these things live? If its a conservation project....what do we do assuming we can create an adult breeding population with enough genetic variability to be functional? Most species go extinct because of habitat loss and degradation.

Look, I'm one of the first people to say "BRING BACK MARTHA! LONG LIVE THE PASSENGER PIGEON!!" But realistically, what the heck do we do with them once they are here?
      We eat them as exotic extinct food.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
        We eat them as exotic extinct food.
        LOL - I'm thinking brontoburgers...

Seriously, there is a HUGE gee-whiz factor in this - it's so amazingly cool.

As far as practical application goes...

...well, once you have knowledge, you always find something to do with it. You just don't always know what that will be until you start doing it.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Comment

Neato! This is hugely fascinating and I'm just imagining all the possibilities.
            I'm highly interested in the frog's "gastric brooding" too. It's both cute and mildly disturbing enough to be interesting
            They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
            Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
            -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

I guess it makes sense to swallow the eggs... It means you don't have to protect a nest. Your babies are safe inside you.

Comment

It's interesting because, if I recall correctly, some cultures portrayed certain divine births as taking place through the mouth. Of a dragon, I think.
                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

That is really cool and at the same time scary. When people find ways to messing with things - it isn't generally a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X