New last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New last name

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: New last name

Personally, I think that you shouldn't care about it, it's your marriage, your partner, your family, changing your last names doesn't mean you're alienating yourself from the family, or pushing them away, it's your new beginning
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

It depends on your family, and how they feel. There's only two ways to know: Ask them, or do it and see how they react. Anything else would just be guesswork.

My advice: Do whatever feels like the right thing to do, and deal with the consequences the best way you can. Fortune favours the bold.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Wow, never heard of this before!
        Whatever you choose will be right.

Comment

ELEPHANT! That's a great last name.

If she's a girl, she will be the ENEMY!!! Lulul I made a joke.

I personally wouldn't care about what my family thinks. I love them, but they know as much as I do that I don't give a fudge about anyone when I make a decision (if it doesn't affect them directly, of course). So I'd say go for it! A name is a very special thing, because once you get one it will stick forever. Even if you legally change it, you know that you once were the proud (or not proud) possessor of that special name.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

IMO, I feel there's more to the story as to why you would want an entirely new last name. Depending on what that is, I would think about how you want to explain that to your relatives (because they will probably ask).

Beyond that, it's your call. It's your name, it's your family, it's your life, and they should respect it.

Comment

First off, congratulations

I made a horrible mistake with my last name when I got married. I used to have an extremely common American last name. Very white-bread. Never had to tell people how to spell it or pronounce it. The only problem with it is that it is such a generic last name that people constantly asked me if it was my 'real' name. I got sick & tired of it, so when I got married, I was all, "WoohooO! New name!!!"

For the past 20 years, I've had a last name no one can spell, let alone pronounce. I get mail under names based on how people think my name is actually spelled, which is based on how they heard it... I constantly have to either be called a weird version of my name, or correct people, neither of which is comfortable in any way. And my first name was already weird and no one can spell it, pronounce it, or get it right the first time.

So whatever name you're going with, do some role-playing first. Have people say your last name back to you, or have them try to spell it. When you go shopping at places that want your name, use the one you'd like to have. See if people give you that "huh?" look when you say it. Also, try out your new signature to see how comfortable it is to sign it, over & over again.

Trust me, it's worth the effort.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I think it's an awesome idea, you skip the whole debate over who does or doesn't take who's name, and get a cool new name to symbolize the start of your cool new life. Two for one. Screw your families reaction, they'll get over it.

Comment

It's your name, and you have to live with it! If your family doesn't like it, they'll get over it eventually

People do all sorts of things with their name these days. I know friends who have hyphenated both their names, friends where the husband took the wife's name, and friends who kept their names. It's pretty much whatever you want to do I think.

If it means anything, "NME" is also a popular music magazine in the UK. It stands for "New Musical Express"

Comment

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission??

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X