Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wonders of having an apprentice.

Hello bizarre fellows and strange beings,
    I've had a friend for some time, he's a really good friend and he has become one of my better friends. Let's call him... Friend. So, Friend knows for a couple of years my spiritual path and stuff. He used to be agnostic, but he used to talk about how he wasn't satisfied with his spirituality. He's been interested in the occult and witchcraft since I met him, but until now, he had been very afraid and reluctant to get into it. Yesterday though, he asked me a lot of questions about my path, my practices and my achievements. He seemed really interested. Then, the conversation went like this:

"Me: Anything else you want to know?
    Friend: Yeah, err, how is the initiation process?
    M: There's a dedication ritual, but it's not to be done at the beginning of the journey, more like after you're comfortable with the path.
    F: Oh, I see. So, could you mentor me as I follow it? I'm really interested on it.
    M: Sure, why not?"

Then I explained to him some basic meditations he should practice. Today he told me that meditation made him feel better, lighter and he slept well. He suffers from heavy insomnia, he was very surprised and happy that it helped him sleep.

And so, I have a question. It's pretty exciting for both of us. Have you guys had the experience of having an apprentice? Is there anything I, as a mentor, should avoid? Any tips on how to effectively guide my friend through my path but at the same time explaining him that he should walk his own way? I don't want him to have a clone of my path, since as we all know: What works out for some doesn't work so well for others.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Re: The wonders of having an apprentice.

I have not, but I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Sounds awesome for you, I have never had an apprentice, but I imagine this process is a part of your journey too!
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I have an apprentice-friend as well. Sadly, she is still in the broom-closet, so much of the learning has to be done at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
          I have an apprentice-friend as well. Sadly, she is still in the broom-closet, so much of the learning has to be done at my house.
          I don't know what good I'd be, but I'd love to have a little thing to mentor.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
            My apprentice is in the broom-closet too, but his parents work until late so he has the house for himself for a few hours every day, and I give him homework :P.

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            I don't know what good I'd be, but I'd love to have a little thing to mentor.
            It's an interesting experience . He's not that little, just like a year younger than me.

Comment

I don't have an apprentice, but I do have a friend that just got into the occult and he wants my help to understand this area little more and the practical aspects, but merely on an intellectual level. This developed out of constant talks on the nature of existence, and those philosophical conversations have taught us both a lot about our selves, perceptions and the world/universe at large. I mention that because these types of talks as equals help us understand where each other come from. We teach each other, for example he is going to help me with understanding Hebrew (he comes from a Jewish family) while I help him understand Runes (we have traded before on other interests, this is a great way to equalize the student-friend relationship).

As we are close to the same age, as you and your friend are, I wouldn't approach it as "Me Mentor, You Student, do this" but as "This is my experience and what I have done to achieve these results. Initiation comes in its own time in a way unique to you," unless of course you are part of an Order or Coven and there is a specific initiation to be adhered to. I would say offer him suggestions and practices, (which you already did). Build him up gradually but allow him room to discover the path on his own as well. Mainly because you are peers and friends.

Then again, I did teach this friend martial arts and that was definitely a teacher-student relationship when it came to learning a skill he did know and I have been forging my entire life (he taught me drums in return). But there was also the aspect of when we sparred we each had our advantages, as once again, we were peers and friends, thus we were equals in the end. Other friend-students, even at my age, were not equals in any sense of the word when it came to martial arts, so this has to be considered as well- where their skill and comprehension level is compared to yours.

It all comes down to where your friend stands in practical versus intellectual, his natural talent versus his work ethic. He may learn fast and intellectualize the teachings very quickly, yet not be able to apply it, or he may be able to manipulate the universe by the simplest of means, yet not know the intellectual level of it nor bother practicing and studying away from your time together. There is a lot to consider when it comes to a student-friend relationship. I would say talk to him and find out what works best for him and you as friends and where the boundaries are between friend and teacher. Don't let being a mentor destroy a good friendship, because a friend is much more important than a student in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
                I don't have an apprentice, but I do have a friend that just got into the occult and he wants my help to understand this area little more and the practical aspects, but merely on an intellectual level. This developed out of constant talks on the nature of existence, and those philosophical conversations have taught us both a lot about our selves, perceptions and the world/universe at large. I mention that because these types of talks as equals help us understand where each other come from. We teach each other, for example he is going to help me with understanding Hebrew (he comes from a Jewish family) while I help him understand Runes (we have traded before on other interests, this is a great way to equalize the student-friend relationship).

As we are close to the same age, as you and your friend are, I wouldn't approach it as "Me Mentor, You Student, do this" but as "This is my experience and what I have done to achieve these results. Initiation comes in its own time in a way unique to you," unless of course you are part of an Order or Coven and there is a specific initiation to be adhered to. I would say offer him suggestions and practices, (which you already did). Build him up gradually but allow him room to discover the path on his own as well. Mainly because you are peers and friends.

Then again, I did teach this friend martial arts and that was definitely a teacher-student relationship when it came to learning a skill he did know and I have been forging my entire life (he taught me drums in return). But there was also the aspect of when we sparred we each had our advantages, as once again, we were peers and friends, thus we were equals in the end. Other friend-students, even at my age, were not equals in any sense of the word when it came to martial arts, so this has to be considered as well- where their skill and comprehension level is compared to yours.

It all comes down to where your friend stands in practical versus intellectual, his natural talent versus his work ethic. He may learn fast and intellectualize the teachings very quickly, yet not be able to apply it, or he may be able to manipulate the universe by the simplest of means, yet not know the intellectual level of it nor bother practicing and studying away from your time together. There is a lot to consider when it comes to a student-friend relationship. I would say talk to him and find out what works best for him and you as friends and where the boundaries are between friend and teacher. Don't let being a mentor destroy a good friendship, because a friend is much more important than a student in the long run.
                Thank you, your insight will prove useful. And I agree, friends are more important. I'm giving him 100% freedom on what he wants and does not want to do.

I doubt there's something he could give in return, but his friendship is more than enough. And it's flattering to see someone sees me as their guide.

Comment

I'm glad I could help. Yeah, having friends that want to learn from you is always a good feeling. It's definitely an accomplishment of skill and knowledge after years of study and practice that a friend (or anyone for that matter) sees you as a guide.

Comment

Working...
                  X