Pressured to be Baptized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pressured to be Baptized

How is baptism treated in your family's church? It's specific meaning changes greatly depending on denomination and community. To some it's a simple initiation, merely a step on the way to Salvation. A path in which the only truly meaningful step is the last, or rather it is the path itself that is important not any of the steps therein.

To others it is a deeply spiritual and meaningful commitment to the Lord and/or church, or somewhere in between those two views.

This is coming from someone who has actually performed baptisms btw.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

They view it as total commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by chris1987 View Post
        You are definitely right that I really didn't want to do it and I am so glad I asked my original question here because since it was such a surprise I kind of panicked and my mind went blank so I didn't really know what to do and after hearing the suggestions it put my mind back on the right path. Thank you all so much again!
        Maybe THAT was why you felt a great sense of peace after you spoke to those you love and serve, versus the other guy... because their response was, "Don't worry. We'll work it out so that you don't have to do this."

Comment

We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Hmm, that was actually an odd element to find. I'd have expected the baptism to be considered void simply by renouncing the Church. Turns out that said practice leaves potential for abuse*. Otherwise separating from the Church formally can be accomplished through the local bishop's office if my understanding is accurate. The bishop should** certainly know where to send someone if he can't arrange it on his own.

*Baptism is supposed to be a once in one's lifetime event, not something you can get rid of and then re-activate all benefits there-of from a fresh start.

** My trust in the competence of bishops is not necessarily infinite. Some know what they're doing, some may not.
            Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I remember the church I used to belong to always said never get baptized or go through the motions unless you mean it. Having said that, I went through with it because I thought it was the right thing to do...but it didnt do anything for me. I just got dunked in water and then it was over. I was no different after.
              There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
              William Wordsworth

Comment

I'm glad you didn't go through with it, and found a way out. Living a lie is hard, and would have been even more stressful and painful for you as time went on. Trying to pretend to be a faith you're not for the sake of others... Just doesn't work out well. Protecting your Dad is fine, and I'm glad you're looking out for him, but that doesn't mean sacrificing your own well being. I wish you all the luck in the world as you continue on.
                hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
                X