This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PF (US) Gathering Time Poll

Much of the thought, I'm sure, is to have such a Get Together on one of the Sabbats or something. I have no such prejudice, I must admit.

In fact, my biggest concerns over such an extended camping, outdoor and woodsy event are a bit more practical. Mosquitoes and ticks. The ticks, here, are most abundant and active from late Spring, end of April/beginning of May, into about mid to late June. Where the skeeters actually get down to business through the hot and humid months of July and August.

From that perspective, my thoughts fall to September, for less annoyances from two or more species of pests. Late September sees much cooler nights, which are great for bonfires, and early September is still quite green, with the leaves on the trees not quite ready to change. Through the process of elimination, I feel the perfect time to hold this would be the first or second week of September, 2014.

Now, to start this poll off, I'm just going to post the MONTHS, for simplifying the choices to something less than a dozen

For discussion, we can hash out the various parts of each month, as to members' votes, for their attraction, their convenience and even their practicality.

So, when's a good time?
    May
    0%
    June
    0%
    July
    0%
    August
    0%
    September
    0%
    October
    0%

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Re: PF (US) Gathering Time Poll

Late August is out for me since my Sis in Law is having her wedding around that time and I really want to go to that. Every other time is good for me but if September is the best time according to chain, where this will be held, then I'm game for that time.

Lol I voted for all but August...wasn't sure if there was a limit to votes...
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

June and July are really busy months at my work for people taking time off so it's a lot less likely I'll be able to get the time away. And I have a feeling October would be way too chilly at night. I really don't like being cold. So I went with May, August, or September, myself. Also, the length of this event could effect what months would work better. For instance, I get more time off for working on holidays, so if it were going to be a longer event (more than a weekend) mid to late September would probably work best, since I'll at least have the 4th added to my PTO and possibly Labor Day and Memorial Day.

It would also likely be a good idea to avoid heavy traffic weekends, like said holidays or the busier weeks for the Renaissance fair, to reduce the time everyone will spend in jams trying to get there. That would eliminate several weekends.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Septembers good, Good weather to camp, after the summer vacation rough, and if it's later in the month up in you're area aren't the leaves changing?

Comment

I like the sounds of September too, but I have one concern with it: Anyone who is currently a student, or who will be a student in Sept 2014 won't be able to attend.

I say this because I've had thoughts of returning to school next fall, though I haven't confirmed anything. I really would prefer June, personally, but I hate ticks.

So really what I'm saying is, make it whenever you want, and I'll try my hardest to be there. This whole thing is pretty important to me, so I would even consider doing distance learning for a semester if it meant I could attend here instead of having to attend school. But yeah, school's not a solid deal, so it might not even be an issue.

Problems for Future V

Mostly art.

Comment

September sounds good to me. Gives me plenty of time to get a job once I move next week and save back money. Hopefully I'd be able to make it
            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
            sigpic

Comment

I wish something like this was going on here in Finland, but hey :='(:
              http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

Hey Lilly, me and hubby are coming to Europe Dec 14/Jan 15... Granted we'll be in Bavaria and Switzerland, but we should all meet then!!

(I'm from Australia haha, you're much closer relatively!)
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Our problem is kids in school. I'd tend to go with September myself, but...next year Sharkbait will be starting kindergarten, and I don't want (with his ADHD and all) to interrupt a brand new schedule. Otherwise, I have no problem with them missing school to go camping. So, I voted for August, but June (early-mid June) would be okay with me too. I prefer ticks to skeeters...and black flies.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I hate bugs. I really hate bugs. It's the only problem I have with camping. And I can't stand pulling ticks off of me. So I will likely spend a lot of time by a fire or in the water if it's buggy... and be bringing as many forms of bug control for my little patch of space as I can find.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I voted for colder times, no air conditioning in the big car, and the hubby may actually come if he isn't worried about melting in the heat.... I still may be able to drag him along in the summer.... it just may involve more.... welll, he has never been camping and I may be able to convince him that its fun!
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                        I voted for colder times, no air conditioning in the big car, and the hubby may actually come if he isn't worried about melting in the heat.... I still may be able to drag him along in the summer.... it just may involve more.... welll, he has never been camping and I may be able to convince him that its fun!
                        It sure is fun! Roasting marshmellows, having time to unwind, visiting with friends, no sirens/alarms/cars without mufflers/etc. You can swim in the river or play volleyball (limited locations only). Walking trails and seeing the beautiful wildlife. Fishing, catching lightening bugs, all the campfire games. Drum circle! Oooo, skipping rocks, foraging for food, making coffee the old fashion way... Pictures, lots and lots of pictures. Great times. I can think of lots of fun things if you need more leverage (just don't mention the downsides)!

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                          It sure is fun! Roasting marshmellows, having time to unwind, visiting with friends, no sirens/alarms/cars without mufflers/etc. You can swim in the river or play volleyball (limited locations only). Walking trails and seeing the beautiful wildlife. Fishing, catching lightening bugs, all the campfire games. Drum circle! Oooo, skipping rocks, foraging for food, making coffee the old fashion way... Pictures, lots and lots of pictures. Great times. I can think of lots of fun things if you need more leverage (just don't mention the downsides)!
                          The problem is his video game addiction, also the things you have mentioned are on his list of downsides... mostly I plan to play up on the "make lady happy" side :P

As a note I think those things sound like fun, but have never been camping before, not like camping, I have been on FTX but not camping...
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Maria de Luna- You could always just leave him at home to play his video games. I know I probably will be doing the same cause I doubt we'd BOTH be able to take the time off of work and everything at the same time if it turns out that I'll be able to go.
                            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                            sigpic

Comment

For the record, I voted August but by this time next year my financial situation and schedule flexibility should (in theory) be in a better place so it's not really a big difference between June and October. Although, if I'm still in retail, anything after Thanksgiving is a blackout period that I won't be able to request days off work.

Comment

Working...
                              X