The "Machine",the "Cog" and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Machine",the "Cog" and you

Perhaps a simple question,perhaps not. How do you see yourself in the "Machine" of life. What is your function(in your own mind and feelings) and how do you feel about your place in the "Machine"?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: The "Machine",the "Cog" and you

I have a really bad feeling that I'm one of those "die and teach by example" people. Or maybe, a "life's a beach and then you die" kind of person. My religion tells me I should be steady in the face of adversity, but it's getting harder to do that everyday.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I have a conflicted relationship with it. I guess in some ways, I'm a "cog." I earn a living, pay taxes, follow the laws. In other ways though, I do things differently. I freelance, and most people here don't. I do so because I dislike working for other people and prefer to work on my own terms. I've broken a lot of social norms by moving to a different country (albeit one I have citizenship to). People here are kind of baffled by the fact that I stay here....they can't imagine any reason for long-term immigration other than to improve your situation in life (I'm not the only one...there are loads of people here from places like Canada, Australia, Sweden, and the Netherlands, where standards of living are higher than here, but stay nonetheless). I'm in a situation where I have an accent and I'll always be the "foreigner" (I have citizenship, but whatever). I finished a bachelor's degree at 28, and promptly went to work for myself in a different field. I didn't have my first relationship until I was 28.

Still, I don't know that I'm that much different than people around me. Berlin is full of unusual (and often remarkable) people doing unusual things. People come here from all over the world to do pretty much whatever they want.

Comment

A cog implies that I help to keep the machine moving. Our "machine" is full of redundancies. If any single cog broke the machine still works, regardless of if the cog in question actually moved properly in the first place. That being said I don't do much. If I am a cog, I'm purely superfluous.
        They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
        Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
        -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

As far as I know, I am supposed to reach a high place in community, then have a quiet pension and die with leaving a good sign behind.
          I live for myself and for those who are dear to me (though, I don't think there are much people in this category).
          I believe that I owe nothing before community, but I can adapt if it's needed.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            A cog implies that I help to keep the machine moving. Our "machine" is full of redundancies. If any single cog broke the machine still works, regardless of if the cog in question actually moved properly in the first place. That being said I don't do much. If I am a cog, I'm purely superfluous.
            I am this ^. Either that, or I'm one of those extra pieces that got left out when they assembled the thing.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I see myself as fitting in with the ancient parts that are being torn out and replaced with new ones made of plastic and flashy LED lights and a bit of dubstep; I forcefully park my happy ass in there with the ancient, expertly-crafted cogs and start working to ensure they don't all get thrown out in favor of cheap plastic technology that will fall apart in six months and leave us all completely screwed - as well as tinkering and spit-shining the old parts to keep them going, as they will for another two millenniums and more. I am the quiet, no-nonsense mechanic with a toolbox full of items that make zero sense to anybody else, but surprise everyone when they seem to work better in the long run. I am the small time engineer who was out there in the field learning the trade while everyone else busted butt for useless degrees in flashy LED lights and plastic that taught them nothing practical. I learned from my predecessors and from patient trial and error, how to quietly enter the unseen and plant seeds to affect the world around me to bring about good things with patience, wisdom and honor. I kick back with other old school mechanics once in a while and just sip booze and nod and say, "Whole world's gone crazy. Just another day in paradise." We get mocked as a dying breed, and just smile. Nothing is new under the sun in the Great Machine.

I do love metaphors...

Comment

I don't really see things as a machine, so I don't really see myself as a cog...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Given I spent 23 years in the military I see myself as a used up part of the machine that has been replaced by a newer piece. A piece that will be used and chewed in the same manner I was and then replaced itself somewhere down the line. Basically I am now a spare that might get recalled and reused at some point into the military machine but unlikely. The few years of usable service I had left went into the public school system which is simply another machine until the injuries from the military prevent me from being much in the operations of the machine. That makes me a relic of a passing technology and mentality that moves me further and further away from being more than a memory or an example of how things worked in the past.

The only machine I operate in now is that of the family and the needs it has today. Well that and perhaps a useful gear in passing on knowledge that still pertains to other s sources of knowledge.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

pizza disposal
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      I don't really see things as a machine, so I don't really see myself as a cog...
                      If I thought about the Universe and its workings as a body, I'd be a floating rib.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

at times, I feel like a wrench thrown into the gears.
                        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Working...
                        X