X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miley Cyrus VMA's

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Madonna, the Spice Girls, Britney Spears...its not like this is new, lol
    No, but it's a good influence, a nice 'clean' influence, gone bad quite extra quick.

Gosh, I'm teaching my students about the origins of rock, and the older generation having issues with it - feeling like the older generation :P
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      No, but it's a good influence, a nice 'clean' influence, gone bad quite extra quick.

Gosh, I'm teaching my students about the origins of rock, and the older generation having issues with it - feeling like the older generation :P
      lol...my initial reaction was pretty much the same, and then I was like ...wait a second, this is really no worse than watching Madonna on stage when I was 10 (my BF's dad was a concert organizer--I saw some epic 80's and early 90's live performances, and usually from the front few rows)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        lol...my initial reaction was pretty much the same, and then I was like ...wait a second, this is really no worse than watching Madonna on stage when I was 10 (my BF's dad was a concert organizer--I saw some epic 80's and early 90's live performances, and usually from the front few rows)
        Yeah exactly. I think I'm having that 'wait a second' moment right now :P I started it earlier. But it's kicking in now! (That's why I love this place). I saw all sorts of wonderful and shocking things as a pre-teen, I turned out ok. And I was one of the ones getting pissed at 13!

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think there's a big difference between Madona grinding and whatnot on stage vs this: http://24.media.tumblr.com/4b7e425d3...oj4do2_250.gif

but that could just be me. *shudders*
          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
          sigpic

Comment

It is a bit extreme.....

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't know...I don't really care what she does. I don't think pop stars are good "role models" in general, and I don't know why people would consider them to be. Child stars almost always end up pulling something like this, because being a child star is so damaging, so if your kid looks up to one, chances are, this will happen at some point anyway.

What I do think is that she's an incredibly talented singer, and she's focusing on the wrong thing. I've seen some videos of her really singing, and she has such a great country voice. If she wants to be seen as an adult, she just needs to work like an adult...do the work, show the talent. She doesn't need to sex it up like everyone else. Anyone can put on a bikini and dance around. Not everyone can sing like she can.

Comment

I think her going wacked out like this has majorly to do with the whole Disney thing.
                From what I've read Disney is very, very strict about 'their kids' (the one's that work for them on tv and such) and what they can and can't do even on their free time. Because they must hold up that wholesome image 24/7 a lot of them break when becoming adults.

I basically see this as the rebellious stage she would've had during her teen years. But since she's 20 now, and can therefore do much more, it's ramped up ten-fold.
                Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  What the shit did I just watch?
                  ^ What she said!!

Comment

What bothers me, is not the way she's acting, or her songs or anything. It's that her audience is 14 yo girls. 14 yo girls are screwed up enough. They don't need Miley Cyrus being a screw up as well.
                    Is her audience really 14 year old girls, though? I thought Hannah Montana ended a couple of years ago, and I chalked this up to an attempt to stay relevant.

Comment

about that.... hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                        Is her audience really 14 year old girls, though? I thought Hannah Montana ended a couple of years ago, and I chalked this up to an attempt to stay relevant.
                        Nah still for the 14 yo girls. 12-17 would be the kids loving her.

I tend to compare her to Taylor Swift a bit too - and Taylor Swift hasn't gone mad yet.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I tend to compare her to Taylor Swift a bit too - and Taylor Swift hasn't gone mad yet.
                          Hasn't gone mad yet, but I still don't think she's a good role model for anyone considering all her songs are about needing a guy in your life or you can't survive and make it on your own -___-
                          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                          sigpic

Comment

Does no one here watch South Park? I think it's pretty obvious what all the fuss is about.. but hey, it's gonna be a great harvest! (It's funny, because it was even Miley Cyrus they turned to at the end of that episode ^^)
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm rather disgusted by this entire thing. No, not at what she did, or any of that such nonsense, but by the very fact that people find it to be so important. Also, by the fact that it has taken up valuable print and space that could be dedicated to something that is important. For the past few days, it has been in the top 5 headlines on Yahoo News, as well as mentioned in papers and on TV. YET, the fact that we are a sneeze away from possibly starting an actual World War has been pushed onto the back pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                                I'm rather disgusted by this entire thing. No, not at what she did, or any of that such nonsense, but by the very fact that people find it to be so important. Also, by the fact that it has taken up valuable print and space that could be dedicated to something that is important. For the past few days, it has been in the top 5 headlines on Yahoo News, as well as mentioned in papers and on TV. YET, the fact that we are a sneeze away from possibly starting an actual World War has been pushed onto the back pages.
                                Misdirection of the masses awareness and focus, one of the oldest forms of propaganda and control of the media at its best. Just have to figure out who is doing the misdirection and why, unfortunately many times it seems its the media itself causing it. In many ways an example of is she the dog or the dog's tail being wagged in front of us to shock, misdirect or suggest some social moral and ethical issue.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X