This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dharmic and Oriental section

There are Abrahamic traditions as well as reconstructionist religions but I am surprised there is no Dharmic or Oriental traditions section where Hindus Buddhists Taoists and others can talk and discuss stuff. Does anyone think these sections should be on this site?

Re: Dharmic and Oriental section

There wasn't adequate discussion regarding those sects to justify the extra subforums when the site was being organized. Odds are that if we end up with a number of topics pertaining to Buddhism, Taoism, Other... then relevant subforums will appear.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
      There are Abrahamic traditions as well as reconstructionist religions but I am surprised there is no Dharmic or Oriental traditions section where Hindus Buddhists Taoists and others can talk and discuss stuff. Does anyone think these sections should be on this site?
      It's not that we don't think we should have one, but most sub forums are created/added on an "as needed" basis. After The Great Crash in 2010, we had to rebuild the forum, mostly, from scratch and we - the owners and admins of the forum - didn't want to have a bunch of mostly empty sub forums that people would have to navigate through. We felt that we could use the more generalized sub forums first until such a time when we notice an increase of a certain type of topic or religion specific questions. It isn't until then that we will create a sub forum and move the topics into one place.

In essence, this:
      Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      There wasn't adequate discussion regarding those sects to justify the extra subforums when the site was being organized. Odds are that if we end up with a number of topics pertaining to Buddhism, Taoism, Other... then relevant subforums will appear.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I personally would enjoy an "oriental" or East Asian religion section.

Comment

That would be awesome to have up. The taoist-hindu-buddhist thing had been part of my thing for the past ten years or so now.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
            It's not that we don't think we should have one, but most sub forums are created/added on an "as needed" basis. After The Great Crash in 2010, we had to rebuild the forum, mostly, from scratch and we - the owners and admins of the forum - didn't want to have a bunch of mostly empty sub forums that people would have to navigate through.
            In addition to this, the subforums we have now are a result of the population we had then...you might notice that some are more used than others, lol.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Also, a lot of the threads we've had out there relating to Asian religions have kind of fizzled out rather quickly. It's a little difficult to justify a subforum when the topic doesn't do so well interest wise whenever it does come up.

For instance:
              http://www.sengu.info/pdf/soul-of-japan.pdf Ise Jingu just recently released a pamphlet with the intention of making Shinto as well known as Ninja and Samurai. It covers the basics of Shinto and shrine etiquette. If anyone has an interest in Shinto and do not have the money to get your hands on a book then this is a good

Hello ! I'm very happy to see that there is Christians and Muslims on this forum ! Once, I've tried to created a french forum as open as this one, but it didn't work very well... No matters, I post this because I've seen that there is no Buddhist among you. It's not surprising, Orientalist have their own forums, however,

This is one of my favorite mantras along with Shivoham (I am Shiva). This mantra is very powerful and is said to contain all the vedas and tantras in its sacred syllable. Na Ma Shi Va Ya contains the elements and the pervading consciousness that gives life to the elements and world. Check out this article http://www

etc.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I think there are other places that cover the various Dharmic religions well enough that a pagan forum doesn't need to have a special sub to accommodate them. I know two good ones for Hinduism, if anyone is interested.
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I am. I think it's interesting to research Hinduism. I was wondering why other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism aren't covered much here. I thought there would be at least one for Hinduism since it's the 3rd most popular religion in the world. lol

Comment

I am. I think it's interesting to research Hinduism. I was wondering why other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism aren't covered much here. I thought there would be at least one for Hinduism since it's the 3rd most popular religion in the world. lol
                    Try the Hindu Dharma Forums (link: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/). Read the stickies and lurk for awhile before you post! They have a specific forum culture they're trying to cultivate, and you may get banned if you're too intractable about it.

The next is Hinduism on Reddit (link: http://www.reddit.com/r/hinduism). I know, I know--Reddit, but there's some good stuff on that board. Reddit's Buddhism board is pretty active, too, I think. The link to it should be on Hinduism on Reddit's side bar.

The Tao Bums is supposed to be a good place (link: http://thetaobums.com/). As I've never been on their boards, I can't speak to the quality of the discussions.

Anyway, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism are kind of "fringe" pagan religions. These religions predate paganism as we generally understand it in modern times. From my time in paganism, it seems paganism focuses on the "old" gods and the "old" traditions that have, for lack of a better term, "died". Religions such as Hinduism are, indeed, old. They're also still living.

They also tend to have greater moral restrictions or guidelines, which, from what I can tell, a good portion of the pagan population dislikes. They dislike the dogmatic "do this, don't do that" kind of thing, I mean. They want to carve their own way.
                    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

It might be the third most popular in the world, but to my knowledge, we don't have a single active Buddhist, Hindu, or variant of any other Dharmic religion. I probably know more about Buddhism than most, but even I don't actually identify as Buddhist. It's like having a subforum for pudding cups. We don't talk about pudding cups here, so why would we make a subforum for it, unless the rise of pudding cup worshippers increased drastically?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        It might be the third most popular in the world, but to my knowledge, we don't have a single active Buddhist, Hindu, or variant of any other Dharmic religion. I probably know more about Buddhism than most, but even I don't actually identify as Buddhist. It's like having a subforum for pudding cups. We don't talk about pudding cups here, so why would we make a subforum for it, unless the rise of pudding cup worshippers increased drastically?
                        I suppose that's true. Not too many dharmic or oriental religious people here. Of course it's called Pagan Forum so naturally pagan reconstruction religions like Heathenry, or pagan like religions like Wicca are the most popular, with the occasional Christian or Jew here.I guess if a bunch show up we can make a section for them.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          Ooo! Ooo! Can we have a subforum for pudding cups? Ooo, and bacon! BaconbaconbaconbaconBACON!

Um... sorry... got a bit carried away there... carry on... mmm, bacon pudding cups...
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Why am I imagining chocolate pudding in the cupcake baking papers after reading that? and with extra crispy bacons so they don't get soggy.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_coyote View Post
                              Why am I imagining chocolate pudding in the cupcake baking papers after reading that? and with extra crispy bacons so they don't get soggy.
                              I dunno. I buy my pudding cups in the dairy section. Crispy bacon is always good, yepyepyep...
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                              X