X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux!

Hi,

After been infected in Windows by some viruses, a friend recommended me to ditch it and try Linux Ubuntu, a free operating system for PC.

It's great, free to use and virus-free. I can basically do everything I did on windows, browsing, word processing, watching films and musics and there is thousands of free apps.

You can type Ubuntu on google and you'll find their website. (Since no link is allowed here)

Is there people using it here? That's a nice discovery and wanted to share it.

Re: Linux!

I've got a vm of it on my laptop that I experiment with. Linux in general is fun to work with and if Ubuntu in specific doesn't do everything you want, there are a lot of other distributions that can be found on the web.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder View Post
      Hi,

After been infected in Windows by some viruses, a friend recommended me to ditch it and try Linux Ubuntu, a free operating system for PC.

It's great, free to use and virus-free. I can basically do everything I did on windows, browsing, word processing, watching films and musics and there is thousands of free apps.

You can type Ubuntu on google and you'll find their website. (Since no link is allowed here)

Is there people using it here? That's a nice discovery and wanted to share it.
      I tried it for about one year/couple of months in the past (years ago). It's fun, but not much difference.

I got bored to installing programs and such for playing games and even installing software, so came back to Windows.

Comment

I can't stand Linux. That's a shocker coming from a software developer, but there you have it.

All the wasted hours messing with configurations, missing packages (that actually aren't missing, but can't be found, yeah), setting up environments, yaddayadda. It's been two weeks and I STILL haven't gotten Tomcat working for goddess sake.

I was okay with Linux until all these set-up issues began to actively impede my ability to get work done. So now I'm on Win7. It kills me because I have to be super careful where I go on the internet. Also, now I can't work with the LAMP stack. I'm on WAMP. *headdesk*

At some point I'll come back to Linux when I have enough money to buy another computer that can be solely for Linux stuff. For now, I'm content with getting work done.
        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Satu, I am (was) a software/website developer too. Not too much experience, but I don't like Linux either.

Tons of packages to install, tons of things to learn. I can work it with (I worked with it), but why waste time?

Comment

I am dling Ubuntu right now just to play with it. I have an extra computer(got it from a friend when he upgraded free).
            More to just play around with Linux for the learning experience.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by PaMan View Post
              Tons of packages to install, tons of things to learn. I can work it with (I worked with it), but why waste time?
              This, basically.

Linux can be very useful. But that's only if you don't have anything specific you need to get accomplished right the hell now because Linux can--and probably will--break in the most inconvenient way possible.

Comment

Ubuntu is probably the most Windows-user-friendly distribution out there. I have used various flavours of Linux for a long time. I actually enjoy the challenge of tweaking things, but perhaps I'm just weird.

I find Linux especially useful for resurrecting old PCs. I put distros such as Puppy and Lubuntu on them and they're usable. I often have a couple of old computers sitting around (donated usually, or just those I've retired) especially to use for Linux.

As the others have said, I wouldn't recommend it if you love the ease of point-and-click and the compatibility of popular software and games that you get with Windows. But if you enjoy experimenting and want to try something a little different, I can't recommend it enough.

Comment

I was skeptical at first too but then now I feel free again on a computer.

No more Windows license to pay, no more antivirus to worry about.

I can get lots of software such as Java, skype even my favorite browser Google Chrome. And through a Linux software called Wine you can use Windows softwares ( I use itunes for my Ipod) in Ubuntu if need be.

There is a learning curve, it's a new system but nothing that cannot be overcome. With The Synpatic package manager you can install-uninstall every piece of package (softwares) on your computer. Uptdates are automatic and keep all of your programs up to date.

I think these open-source ideas can and will improve with time and efforts. After all, Linux is everywhere already, in servers, smartphones, computers ect and will get even more friendly for the public in the futur. Anyway, there is a very nice community ready to answer every questions and adress any problems you may have.

But hey, Linux is not Windows just as Mac is not Windows or Linux either. It's meant to be different and offer the user a free and reliable experience. And so far it does exactly that for me.
                  Last edited by Wonder; 13 Feb 2014, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                    This, basically.

Linux can be very useful. But that's only if you don't have anything specific you need to get accomplished right the hell now because Linux can--and probably will--break in the most inconvenient way possible.
                    True. If you don't have anything Linux related to work, why?

I don't mind people using/recommending Linux anyway.

Comment

A lot of people are already using Linux everyday and they simply don't know about it.

Android, the popular operating system for smartphones and tablets is based on a Linux kernel.

Same thing with the new chromebooks, which are powered by ChromeOS, an operating system based on Linux Debian.

Geez, even Microsoft made good use of GNU/Linux based servers to keep their websites protected!

''Forty percent of servers run Windows, 60 percent run linux'' - Steve Ballmer in 2008

Steam, the gaming platform is developping it's own operating system, called SteamOS. No suprise if it is based on Debian 7, a linux distro. In the long term, these Steam Box powered by SteamOS might find their place in many a living room.
                      Last edited by Wonder; 14 Feb 2014, 09:43.

Comment

Yes, Wonder, I'm sure most people familiar with Linux understand that. Linux is used in a lot of things, because it has useful tools, is free, and completely customizable; however, it's also a pain in the ass if you have to do anything other than browse the web, play games, and create documents.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to evangelize, Wonder. But I do remember feeling similarly when I first discovered Linux. After sinking ungodly amounts of time into three different distros because configuration can be a bear (Fedora, Mint). . . after trying to figure out what the freakin' hell Linux was doing to my Java installation (Fedora). . . after spending hours configuring Tomcat because Linux couldn't be bothered to properly install packages already set up and available for that distro (Fedora). . . well, I guess you can call me cynical.

Linux is a tool. It's not really any better than any of the other tools out there. Because it's completely free and less virus-prone, there are a lot of people who like it. But even Windows has its strengths (like you know if you install something it's probably going to install correctly, and when Windows fails, at least you can generally predict *where* it will fail). So does Mac. So will any other OS people come out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder View Post
                          A lot of people are already using Linux everyday and they simply don't know about it.

Android, the popular operating system for smartphones and tablets is based on a Linux kernel.

Same thing with the new chromebooks, which are powered by ChromeOS, an operating system based on Linux Debian.

Geez, even Microsoft made good use of GNU/Linux based servers to keep their websites protected!

''Forty percent of servers run Windows, 60 percent run linux'' - Steve Ballmer in 2008

Steam, the gaming platform is developping it's own operating system, called SteamOS. No suprise if it is based on Debian 7, a linux distro. In the long term, these Steam Box powered by SteamOS might find their place in many a living room.
                          Can I say I'm glad I don't use a smartphone? (Android or Iphone).

Comment

I like Linux a lot. That said, there's a reason that I use it for livediscs and VMs while my laptop is Win7. Atm, Win7 provides the options I need faster and easier. After I'm far more practiced with Linux, I might use a Linux distro as a primary OS but right now primary is win 7 and I'll experiment with Linux VMs in my spare time.
                            Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yes, Wonder, I'm sure most people familiar with Linux understand that. Linux is used in a lot of things, because it has useful tools, is free, and completely customizable; however, it's also a pain in the ass if you have to do anything other than browse the web, play games, and create documents.
                              That's possible but assuming that most people who use a computer need it for browsing, word processing (LibreOffice is as good as Microsoft Office and free to use), music MP3, movie, skyping ect. Linux Ubuntu (and other distros) can do exactly that. It is true that we are afraid of change, myself I've been a Windows user since I could first use a computer but the are other options for PC. This thread is for those who may want to know about some inexpensive systems and that get the job most user need be done. Ubuntu is actually easier to install than Windows and that's a fact. There are articles explaining step-by-step how to achieve it.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to evangelize, Wonder. But I do remember feeling similarly when I first discovered Linux. After sinking ungodly amounts of time into three different distros because configuration can be a bear (Fedora, Mint). . . after trying to figure out what the freakin' hell Linux was doing to my Java installation (Fedora). . . after spending hours configuring Tomcat because Linux couldn't be bothered to properly install packages already set up and available for that distro (Fedora). . . well, I guess you can call me cynical.
                              I do not think I am evangilzed it, but I felt the need defend it. It's unfortunate if you've encountered various problems, I haven't and it works fine for me and many others. I can only speak for what I've tried (Ubuntu) and there is great community ready to help if need be. I had to find my way around to get my printer working but once I solved the issue, it was worth the time (at least to me). I believe it's the same thing with Windows or Mac, someone unfamilliar (ask my parents) will have hard times getting things to work. It improves with time and experiences (and also mistakes!)

Linux is a tool. It's not really any better than any of the other tools out there. Because it's completely free and less virus-prone, there are a lot of people who like it. But even Windows has its strengths (like you know if you install something it's probably going to install correctly, and when Windows fails, at least you can generally predict *where* it will fail). So does Mac. So will any other OS people come out with.
                              That depend for who, to me Linux Ubuntu is a full-fledged operating system. Obviously it needs improvement and a lot of polishing, and these team of developpers are working hard to make it better that's obvious. Ubuntu Touch is making it's way to tablets and smartphones soon so they want to push for other markets as well.

As se it as having the choice. Windows doesn't own the PC world, I learned that recently, that's good if you're satisfied with it but that's also good if you are not.

Originally posted by PaMan View Post
                              Can I say I'm glad I don't use a smartphone? (Android or Iphone).
                              Same here. I don't even use cellphone actually. But I do have a tablet powered by Android is it works fine. It can do quite a few things.
                              Last edited by Wonder; 14 Feb 2014, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X