This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military involvement in Nigeria?

For those of you who live under rocks, a radical group called Boko Haram has been kidnapping girls, ages 9 - 15 in Nigeria. The leader of Boko Haram has stated that he plans to sell the girls into slavery.

Nigeria Offers $300,000 Reward For Information On Missing Schoolgirls

The U.S. is getting involved.

Debate topic is this:
    If it comes to it, should the U.S. intervene with military force in Nigeria?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Military involvement in Nigeria?

If the standing government asks us too help with a human rights issue, then I don't see any problem sending military aid. I know it's more complicated than that, but that is the essential. If they want our help, and we are able, of course we should give it. If not? It's a very unfortunate thing, but we should let them sort it out.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Do we have an invitation to assist local forces in locating and exterminating this a**? If so, then yes, by all means provide assistance. We have the assets to spare and locating the bastard and killing him is a more moral use of our military than any number of things we've done in the past.

Have we been told to stay the f*** away? If so, then keep our people outside Nigerian borders. We can make monstrous annoyances of ourselves to the would be black marketeer in other ways. We don't need to invade a sovereign nation to handle a law enforcement problem that the nation in question is already working on unless their law enforcement failure starts actively threatening things outside their borders.
      Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

This one speaks for itself:

Parents Of Kidnapped Nigerian Girls Say Government Is Doing Little To Rescue Them

U.S. To Send Team To Nigeria In Response To Girls' Kidnapping

Obama said the immediate priority is finding the girls, but that the Boko Haram group must also be dealt with.

"In the short term our goal is obviously is to help the international community, and the Nigerian government, as a team to do everything we can to recover these young ladies," Obama said in an interview with NBC's "Today," in some of his first public comments on what he said was a "terrible situation" in the West African nation.

"But we're also going to have to deal with the broader problem of organizations like this that ... can cause such havoc in people's day-to-day lives," Obama said of Boko Haram.
        Obama said he was glad the Nigerian government was accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

"Obviously, what's happening is awful, and, as a father of two girls, I can't imagine what their parents are going through," he told CBS News in an interview. Obama said the U.S. has long sought to work with Nigeria to contain Boko Haram.

"You've got one of the worst regional or local terrorist organizations in Boko Haram in Nigeria. They've been killing people ruthlessly for many years now and we've already been seeking greater cooperation with the Nigerians," Obama said in an interview with ABC News.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Debate topic is this:
          If it comes to it, should the U.S. intervene with military force in Nigeria?
          Yes.

When the alternative is kidnapping children and selling them into slavery (and worse), yes.

I'm not sure you can ask for a moral imperative that is any more clear than that.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Africa is currently (I think) the most war torn continent. Military involvement in Nigeria could easily spill out into a massive continental war that would make Viet Nam look like a naughty boys party.

Is it still worth it?

Comment

I'm of the opinion that a country should spend their time, energy and resources resolving their own internal issues; rather than spending it trying to fix everyone else's. But I also know my opinion isn't particularly popular either.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                Do we have an invitation to assist local forces in locating and exterminating this a**? If so, then yes, by all means provide assistance. We have the assets to spare and locating the bastard and killing him is a more moral use of our military than any number of things we've done in the past.

Have we been told to stay the f*** away? If so, then keep our people outside Nigerian borders. We can make monstrous annoyances of ourselves to the would be black marketeer in other ways. We don't need to invade a sovereign nation to handle a law enforcement problem that the nation in question is already working on unless their law enforcement failure starts actively threatening things outside their borders.
                I agree with this.

Comment

I would say perhaps considering the moral issue,it would be the right thing to do,BUT what with our financial issues,it "might" require said country to throw us a "Bone" be it trade "goodies" or actual money. Not like we really can pay for everyone's problems,and end up broke trying.

I know we are supposed to be the "Good" guys,but still we have to cover ourselves in some way.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Africa is currently (I think) the most war torn continent. Military involvement in Nigeria could easily spill out into a massive continental war that would make Viet Nam look like a naughty boys party.

Is it still worth it?
                    You could say the same thing if we *don't* do anything. As they've asked for assistance, we should be giving it.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    I would say perhaps considering the moral issue,it would be the right thing to do,BUT what with our financial issues,it "might" require said country to throw us a "Bone" be it trade "goodies" or actual money. Not like we really can pay for everyone's problems,and end up broke trying.

I know we are supposed to be the "Good" guys,but still we have to cover ourselves in some way.

Our financial problems are entirely of the manufacture of Congress. They are easily fixed, if both sides would commit to serious compromise.

And we get oil from Nigeria, so...I think there's an economic interest, in addition to not allowing a bunch of nuts to further destabilize the continent.

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                    I'm of the opinion that a country should spend their time, energy and resources resolving their own internal issues; rather than spending it trying to fix everyone else's. But I also know my opinion isn't particularly popular either.
                    Were resources evenly distributed around the world, that would be great. But they aren't...and so, particularly as technology advances and populations grow, we are forced into the global marketplace of goods. This inevitably means that there is conflict in the global marketplace of ideas. This inevitable means that we can no longer be isolationist.

Also, not every country is capable of fixing their own problems. They asked for help. We have one of the most capable militaries in the world. Not giving it would be pretty crappy...and it is within our long term interests to do so.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

America has enough problems and to spend more money time and lives on something like this isn't exactly wise. Something should be gone, but America is not god-like. They can't be everywhere and save everyone. I mean look how many lives were taken by the soviets, Chinese, we didn't interfere then and that was more severe than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                        America has enough problems and to spend more money time and lives on something like this isn't exactly wise. Something should be gone, but America is not god-like. They can't be everywhere and save everyone. I mean look how many lives were taken by the soviets, Chinese, we didn't interfere then and that was more severe than this.
                        I share the opinion.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Were resources evenly distributed around the world, that would be great. But they aren't...and so, particularly as technology advances and populations grow, we are forced into the global marketplace of goods. This inevitably means that there is conflict in the global marketplace of ideas. This inevitable means that we can no longer be isolationist.

Also, not every country is capable of fixing their own problems. They asked for help. We have one of the most capable militaries in the world. Not giving it would be pretty crappy...and it is within our long term interests to do so.
                          I respectfully disagree, boundaries should be set and no country should be the world police on their own. There's a difference between setting boundaries and limitations, and being isolationist. Many people in the world ask for help, and not everyone has the resources or the right to do it. A family being asked to help another, where the the first family is already having internal issues, may not be an ideal situation. But like I said, my opinion isn't the majority in this country and I am well aware of it.

Comment

I have a hard time seeing things like this going on in the world, and not wanting to do something about it.

The abduction of somebody's kid to be sold into sexual slavery, genocide, mass political murder, work camps...

It all makes me ill. I wish I could just say "Well, it ain't my problem," and actually feel good about myself afterwards.

Comment

I don't think it's a case of military intervention really. Think of it as rescuing young girls from a horrible fate. If the US (or anywhere else) has the expertise to find them, I don't think it would hurt.

Maybe if each young girl was the heiress to an oil field then the world might have moved more quickly...

I'm getting a tad cynical in my old age.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X