This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the saddle!

My Etsy site is up and running again, for any interested parties!

Splendid Fish Studio

As usual, there is a 10% discount for Pagan Forum folks. Use coupon code SPLENPF at checkout.

Come see, say hi!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Back in the saddle!

Nice work Hand forging is on my list of skills that I would one day love to learn... along with wire wrapping and flint knapping and all sorts of other things lol.

Can I pick your brain about your turkey feet? I have some raven feet in my freezer waiting for me to grow the balls to borax them to finish off my staff. Alas... still no balls. And I have no idea if having put them in my freezer was a bad idea in the first place. It'll be the first time I've worked with anything other than wood, stones, leather, feather, bones and fur... how did you do yours?

Comment

YES! Happy dance time, especially since I recently gave away the last card you sent with the earrings I got a few years back.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

You have some beautiful stuff hon! I wish I could buy some of it for myself. How did you make it?
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Amazing. Beautiful. I love it.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Purchase made! <3
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Nice work Hand forging is on my list of skills that I would one day love to learn... along with wire wrapping and flint knapping and all sorts of other things lol.

Can I pick your brain about your turkey feet? I have some raven feet in my freezer waiting for me to grow the balls to borax them to finish off my staff. Alas... still no balls. And I have no idea if having put them in my freezer was a bad idea in the first place. It'll be the first time I've worked with anything other than wood, stones, leather, feather, bones and fur... how did you do yours?
              IMHO - hand forging is the quickest and easiest method of working nonferrous metals (I don't have much experience with iron/steel, but since they are hot forged, they're a bit more complicated).

The feet I had were bought already cured. I believe they were just brimed, and dried - they are much like rawhide dog chew toys.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              You have some beautiful stuff hon! I wish I could buy some of it for myself. How did you make it?
              Whack the metal with a hammer until it looks like you want it to. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!

The other pieces are done using a technique called "champleve enamel." It was developed by the ancient Celts, who used it to decorate their shields. Then it was brought to a high art form in medieval France (which is why enamel techniques all have French names). Essentially, you dig out a hollow in the metal, fill it with powered glass, and heat it until the glass melts. Repeat 3-4 times until the surface of the glass is even with the surface of the metal...

That's it in short form - if you ever want to try forging or enameling, send me a PM and I'll help you with more detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              Purchase made! <3
              Yippie!

I rush off to handle business...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This thread makes me very happy. lol
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  IMHO - hand forging is the quickest and easiest method of working nonferrous metals (I don't have much experience with iron/steel, but since they are hot forged, they're a bit more complicated).

The feet I had were bought already cured. I believe they were just brimed, and dried - they are much like rawhide dog chew toys.
                  Ack that's not much help. Mine came off an actual raven that I had to euthanise due to it's injuries. Fresh frozen, so to speak. I know that boraxing them is a good method, but trying to pin them into the borax in the shape I want will be the hard part. I only have two... and ravens aren't something that I have to euthanise often. Hence my hesitation. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                    This thread makes me very happy. lol
                    Thanks, Juni.

For the first time in three years, it actually feels good to be me.

Comment

Working...
                    X