Chytrid and the Frog Population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chytrid and the Frog Population

I've seen a couple of shows on PBS in the past couple of days talking about this fungus chytrid and the damage and devastation it is causing to the frog population. Frankly, it's frightening. There are certain species of frogs that have gone extinct due the spreading of chytrid.

It makes me wonder how much longer until enough animals (or plants) are lost to extinction that irrevocable damage is done to the ecosystem. What is going to happen to us as humans and to the planet as a whole?

The one show was even discussing the various coral reefs and how so many are dying. There's so much damage being done to the earth, and the majority of it is caused by us. Will we learn to change before it's too late? Or is it already too late?

Amphibian Decline Cause for Concern

Northern Corroboree Frog: Rescue Mission in ACT to Boost Dwindling Population

Number of Threatened Coral Species Jumps from 2 to 22

Re: Chytrid and the Frog Population

Also add the white fungus killing bats...

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...101-story.html
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Geez, it just doesn't stop, does it, anunitu? Seriously, I think we're all screwed.

Comment

As we effect the environment,changing the levels of elements we change the chemical mix that may increase some life forms while killing off others. Higher carbon may allow for a certain life form to grow out of control,like algae blooms that cause fish to die.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Honestly...the same thing that has happened in any other mass extinction event.

And don't fool yourself, we are in the middle of the 6th mass extinction--the only difference between this one and the last 5 is that this one is caused by a single species.

Some species will survive. Some will not. Life will change, but it will go on.

Whether or not we are here to see it...yet to be determined.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

the honey bees are are endangered.

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/animals/bees.asp

http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-a...e-bees/5375684

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Honestly...the same thing that has happened in any other mass extinction event.

And don't fool yourself, we are in the middle of the 6th mass extinction--the only difference between this one and the last 5 is that this one is caused by a single species.

Some species will survive. Some will not. Life will change, but it will go on.

Whether or not we are here to see it...yet to be determined.
              I think this is very cool and interesting. I wonder how many different animals would have gone extinct in the last 100 years if we weren't so nuts about keeping them around. Watched a show that included the India Desert Lion last night, got me thinking about this.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                I think this is very cool and interesting. I wonder how many different animals would have gone extinct in the last 100 years if we weren't so nuts about keeping them around. Watched a show that included the India Desert Lion last night, got me thinking about this.
                I wonder how many wouldn't if we all went extinct early, which frankly would be the best case scenario. But there is still time and this species has the blood of countless non-human beings on their hands.
                "As long as humans continue to be the ruthless destroyer of other beings, we will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, those who sow the seed of murder and pain will never reap joy or love." - Pythagoras

"I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown." - Homer, The Iliad

Comment

Working...
                X