Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cauldron

Hello!

I am new to Wicca so please forgive me if this is a silly question or a question that seems to have an obvious answer.

How do you use a cauldron? Can you use it inside your home? Do you have to use it on the stove or can you put something underneath it and use it on a flat surface? I just want to learn how to use it safely so I don't end up burning the house down lol!!!!

Re: Cauldron

Hi, and welcome to PF.

I'm not a Wiccan, but some practitioners today don't actually use their cauldrons as a literal "cooking pot", i.e. brewing up broths and magickal formulas. They can be used that way (depending upon what kind you acquire) and some people do use them to "cook" their brews - but for most solitary practitioners, only a small "decorative" cauldron will suffice if you're purely looking to use it for spell work that doesn't require "cooking".

Originally posted by avalonmoonlight View Post
    How do you use a cauldron?
    It depends on what you want to use it for. A great many people use them symbolically - I've heard it said that the cauldron can represent the "womb" of the "Goddess" - a place for transformation. Materials can be placed inside and "brought together" before adding to a sachet or poppet. You can burn petitions on parchment inside the cauldron. You can use it to actually brew magickal recipes if it's suited for actual use as such (as I mentioned earlier, many "cauldrons" for sale today are purely decorative.

Can you use it inside your home?
    If it's a decorative cauldron to be used symbolically, certainly. I wouldn't advise actually putting it on a stovetop however unless you were certain it was safe for such.

Comment

hi there,

I use it as an incense holder
      Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

I've read somewhere that charcoal in a cauldron and burns herbs on top in a cauldron. Is that true? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm very, very new and still learning. I have no intention on doing spells anytime soon. I'm just curious. Thank you for your help!
        Originally posted by Torey View Post
        Hi, and welcome to PF.

I'm not a Wiccan, but some practitioners today don't actually use their cauldrons as a literal "cooking pot", i.e. brewing up broths and magickal formulas. They can be used that way (depending upon what kind you acquire) and some people do use them to "cook" their brews - but for most solitary practitioners, only a small "decorative" cauldron will suffice if you're purely looking to use it for spell work that doesn't require "cooking".

It depends on what you want to use it for. A great many people use them symbolically - I've heard it said that the cauldron can represent the "womb" of the "Goddess" - a place for transformation. Materials can be placed inside and "brought together" before adding to a sachet or poppet. You can burn petitions on parchment inside the cauldron. You can use it to actually brew magickal recipes if it's suited for actual use as such (as I mentioned earlier, many "cauldrons" for sale today are purely decorative.

If it's a decorative cauldron to be used symbolically, certainly. I wouldn't advise actually putting it on a stovetop however unless you were certain it was safe for such.

Comment

I've read somewhere that charcoal in a cauldron and burns herbs on top in a cauldron. Is that true? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm very, very new and still learning. I have no intention on doing spells anytime soon. I'm just curious. Thank you for your help!
          Put some sand in it (as insulation from the heat), and a bit of burning charcoal on the sand. You can put the herbs or incense powders on the charcoal to burn them.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Put some sand in it (as insulation from the heat), and a bit of burning charcoal on the sand. You can put the herbs or incense powders on the charcoal to burn them.
            yep. forgot to mention that. also even with the sand the cauldron will be hot. I use a ceramic types. BTW not all cauldrons are made of metal.
            Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Thanks all! One last question, what do I set the cauldron on if I use it? Is a table fine? What safety precautions should be taken?

Comment

Thanks all! One last question, what do I set the cauldron on if I use it? Is a table fine? What safety precautions should be taken?
                Standard fire precautions - never leave anything burning unattended, have something handy to put out a fire if necessary, and don't burn anything without ventilation (crack a window - you don't want to breathe too much carbon monoxide. It's not likely from an incense burner, but still...). Also, you might want to set your burner on a piece of wood or ceramic tile just to be sure you don't burn the table!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                X