Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take a venti mocha frap and some race talk

Starbucks. What are you doing?
    (do you have any idea of which horrific cringeworthy news I speak of?)
    So Starbucks CEO wants everyone to 'talk race' while asking for your morning cup o' expensive as all F coffee late venti mocha frapa crappa crack in the coffee so much sugar I get the shakes drink.

Because talking to an uncafinated person who has 5 minutes to get to work about a sensitive topic like race is a good idea.

Because of course all of the Starbuck baristas are fully qualified to talk about race in a non threatening sue happy world.

Because you know..what happens when your barista is a racist?
    Or your customer is a racist?
    And you know. Starts throwing out those racial negro and wet back words around like spilled sprinkled splenda.

To me, this is a horrible Idea. Nothing good can come of it.

Hey here is your mocha frap, how about that lynching that just happened?!

No.

What say you?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: I'll take a venti mocha frap and some race talk

I have to remember to get some Johnny Rebel songs on my phone for just such an occasion, that'll be HIlarious.

Seriously though, people take race very seriously sometimes. It's hard to have any sort of a discussion, because it's like navigating a landmine and people tend to assume malice over ignorance.

There cannot be a discussion in this situation, only well rehearsed platitudes and thoroughly stale observations.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I think they should probably let people have their coffee in peace. While it's an important topic, it's just not the right place for that discussion... But while we're at it, why not let McDonald's handle the vaccination debate: "here's your happy meal, and have you had your kids vaccinated?".. it just doesn't work. Would be hillarious, but I pity the employes.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

No problem with people talking about races whatsoever. Who doesn't like fast cars?

Oh, wait, wrong type of race. No, he can **** himself and I can add that hillarious piece of stupidity right under "doesn't serve soda" on the list of reasons that I never go to Starbucks.
        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Race talk is all I do this time of year. The Kentucky Derby is just around the corner (first Sat. in May). I live and breathe for this stuff! Starbucks, not so much.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
          X