Autumnal Equinox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumnal Equinox

Anyone got any plans for the Autumnal Equinox, or Mabon if you go that way?

It's not too far away now, and I'm starting to have a think about what I want to do. Probably won' t be a big elaborate ritual or anything like that, but I might do a bit of a clean and a big fancy meal for the family (with lots of symbolism, of course. Sneaky pagan).
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Re: Autumnal Equinox

I'm writing a ritual to really celebrate the equinox aspect of it (rather than Mabon). Some of my friends were talking about a Mabon party, but I haven't heard any details.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I always take a nice long walk through the woods, and then prep a nice large meal consisting of all sorts of local produce.

I'm sad I'm going to be missing my favorite month (November) as I'll be in boot camp. I feel like I'm trying to force forward the seasonal wheel right now. Yesterday I picked pumpkins and apples, and baked pumpkin bread.

Comment

Haven't got any plans yet. Still thinking on what I want to do.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I have the books by Ellen Dugan and Kristin Madden. I may start looking through them today. And also Pinterest.

I think, because my dad will be back, I way go to a park for a couple of hours with my mum and aunt, then see what's going on at our local metaphysical bookstore. Then make a fancy dinner. Because my dad can get behind just about any kind of voodoo weirdness if it comes with a seasonal menu. He'll never participate, but popping something tasty in his mouth keeps him quiet about it.

We had a lot of fun doing an all-day party for the Summer Solstice, so maybe we might do something similar later this month.

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I want to be outside and dance in the moonlight. I might even get lucky and actually get the night off. I think I will see if the local UU Pagans is holding a ritual on Mabon instead of the Saturday before. Cross your fingers. If not I will do my own ritual.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I always struggle with Mabon. My body doesn't like its energy somehow. Maybe it's psychological...I know the days will get shorter and I kind of dread it.

I usually make a meal with stuff from my garden and offer up a thanks for what my little terrace harvest (and foraging efforts) yielded. But it's also usually kind of half-assed because I feel so tired every year.

I do have a lot of thanks to offer this year, though. Despite a drought, crazy weather swings, and my garden being left in the care of someone less experienced than I at caring for plants, I got a really big harvest of almost everything I grew. So I'll really try.

Comment

I generally just light a special candle. I don't do the wheel of the year, so I end up forgetting half the time.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'll be on the road from LA to Virginia during Mabon, so I'm thinking about buying a small pumpkin I can carry with me (I usually sleep while dad's driving), and maybe bring a few candles I can light at hotels when he gets too tired to keep driving. I think incense may be too risky in random hotels?

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                    I'll be on the road from LA to Virginia during Mabon, so I'm thinking about buying a small pumpkin I can carry with me (I usually sleep while dad's driving), and maybe bring a few candles I can light at hotels when he gets too tired to keep driving. I think incense may be too risky in random hotels?
                    I think probably. But a lot of the importance of incense is smell. Maybe get some cinnamon or clove essential oil?

When I was on the road a lot, I had a teeny tiny altar that lived in an Altoids tin, with birthday candles and all that kind of thing. I actually might make another one, now I'm thinking about it, lol.

Also, the Equinox is about the balance of light and dark, primarily. So I think as long as you can observe the sun at noon, or the moon at midnight, I should think that would be enough if you're really pressed. But the pumpkin thing is a cute idea. Also maybe snack on some grapes and apples. Buy spiced cider or grape juice when you stop for refreshments. Just try to be mindful of how the season looks in all the places you're going through.

(BTW, I am SUPER jealous of you. I've always wanted to see that side of the country in the fall. It's a stereotype, I know, and I'm ok with that :-p )

Comment

Originally posted by October View Post
                      I think probably. But a lot of the importance of incense is smell. Maybe get some cinnamon or clove essential oil?

When I was on the road a lot, I had a teeny tiny altar that lived in an Altoids tin, with birthday candles and all that kind of thing. I actually might make another one, now I'm thinking about it, lol.

Also, the Equinox is about the balance of light and dark, primarily. So I think as long as you can observe the sun at noon, or the moon at midnight, I should think that would be enough if you're really pressed. But the pumpkin thing is a cute idea. Also maybe snack on some grapes and apples. Buy spiced cider or grape juice when you stop for refreshments. Just try to be mindful of how the season looks in all the places you're going through.

(BTW, I am SUPER jealous of you. I've always wanted to see that side of the country in the fall. It's a stereotype, I know, and I'm ok with that :-p )
                      I used to live in LA two years ago for four years, and there are only really two noticeable seasons: Summer (hothotHOT!) and Winter (slightly colder. The temperature might drop about ten degrees?) and there's only really three things you notice that change. 1) Somewhat colder, 2) The flowers lose their color, and if you're lucky, 3) Rain. Rain is LA's version of snow, and we really need some this winter. We're in a drought and our dam is drying up.

Reading that made me happy! ^_^ <3

Thank you. I think I'll do that. I'm going up to San Fran for a concert soon, so maybe I can find a shop up there.

You might think this random, but my cuteness... Reaction (is it an instinct? Cuteness instinct?)-is off the charts. Whenever I see or think of something smaller than normal (especially if I'm surprised, by say, a tiny black garbage bag waiting for pickup) my cuteness reactor gets triggered HARD, so an altoid tin altar? Omg, that's tiny andadorableomg!

Thank you for all your advice, it's super helpful, and it's more than likely that I will find myself doing what you suggested. Grapes and apples and spiced apple cider? Yum!

(-and it just started raining! No more than a drizzle, but YAY! THANK YOU!)

Comment

Lol, it's all yours.

I live in Southern California, right down at the bottom of the Central Valley, so I know about heat, lol. But it gets COLD here. I lived in the UK for a while, and it gets colder here than it does there, it just doesn't snow because there's no water in the air. We live in a Rain Shadow, which means that when we get dark clouds, you all are gonna have rain *shakes fist* But I meant Virginia ;-)

Enjoy the Equinox!

Comment

You don't see the change in leaves on the east coast until October. You'll see some leaves change but most of it isnt until then. I will be in the Blue Mountain Parkway on the 1st of November. I had wanted Samhain off but its a Saturday and I don't get Saturdays off, so mine will be spent driving through Arkansas and Tenseness late at night. I will see the sunrise in those mountains though and I cannot wait.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Omg take pictures for those of us whose Samhain feels a lot like Litha :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got my altar decorated! It's a bit busy but I like it :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1442088513785635469900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	352988

Name:	1442088435624129720708.jpg
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	352987

Name:	1442088619434373029001.jpg
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	352989

Comment

Gorgeous, October!
                              ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Working...
                              X