THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

*sigh. Just because I am tolerant and ask a question with restraint, doesn't mean I won't eat you alive.
    I try to play nice on interfaith forums. And I still get poked. Then when I make someone cry..I'm the baddy.

STOP POKING THE KITTY KAT!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Now now Medusa,its alright...pokey pokey poke pokety poke...Whos an evil little furball ,You are,YES you are....(Sorry you know my sense of humor)
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Egypt isn't some third world country. They do belong to the civilized world. Or do you think they still use camels? Wait.. I take that back. Their internet is run on camel juice.
        Quite right Medusa it is a second world country. My mistake. And that reflects on the way heritage is valued how? Do you think only primates worshipping black monoliths and beating each others heads in with sticks value their peoples heritage?

Im into heritage tourism and Ill tell you now that if I went to Egypt to see the pyramids and I was peckish Id probably want some authentic food from a restaurant that fuels heritage tourism and egypts economy and not a pizza hut that exploits the heritage tourism market to take money out of the economy. And probably lobbed a few quid to the local govt to get permission to do it. Scumbags corrupting democracy and exploiting the communal property of the people for their own gain.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        Or you can do what I do and order the ones that are full of syrup, so you can't taste their coffee, which tastes like it's burnt.

I like my coffee on the stronger side, but medium roasts. I feel like when it's too dark of a roast, the flavour starts to go. That's why I hate french roast coffee (unfortunately, for this reason, I have yet to enjoy coffee in France). Germans also prefer medium roast, as do the Austrians. If there is any city in the world that I'd say has the best coffee, it would have to be Vienna. A Viennese milchkaffee (cafe au lait) with a croissant (an Austrian invention, believe it or not) or some apple strudel is amazing!
        Jazuz Danie you know LOADS about Coffee. Ill keep that in mind for brekkie when Im in Vienna thanks. Im dyin to go see Faust there.

Comment

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Still looking for a new job. I left the place I was training...never seen anything like it in my life. I'm used to tough restaurant conditions. This wasn't tough, it was toxic.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
              Quite right Medusa it is a second world country. My mistake. And that reflects on the way heritage is valued how? Do you think only primates worshipping black monoliths and beating each others heads in with sticks value their peoples heritage?

Im into heritage tourism and Ill tell you now that if I went to Egypt to see the pyramids and I was peckish Id probably want some authentic food from a restaurant that fuels heritage tourism and egypts economy and not a pizza hut that exploits the heritage tourism market to take money out of the economy. And probably lobbed a few quid to the local govt to get permission to do it. Scumbags corrupting democracy and exploiting the communal property of the people for their own gain.

- - - Updated - - -

Jazuz Danie you know LOADS about Coffee. Ill keep that in mind for brekkie when Im in Vienna thanks. Im dyin to go see Faust there.
              I'm thinking you aren't too hip as to what's going on in Egypt. I think Dumuzi is quite fine with the pizza places in Egypt. And the Pepsi. He loves the Pepsi.

Pst. all those people working in the pizza huts in Egypt...are OMG...Egyptians!
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Not a rant, I realise, but hey, while we're on coffee, is 'boss' coffee an American thing? I've never seen it (yet), in England, but it was sold in narrow cans from vending machines in Japan and I really miss it. It came with or without milk and the machine kept it hot in the winter and chilled in the summer. I really developed a taste for it. If it's an American brand, I might know where I can get my hands on some...
                I've never heard of it. That does'nt mean it isn't an American brand, (I don't drink coffee and am therefore NOT an expert,) there are things you can only get in certain parts of the country. But I would think that if it isn't a nationally available brand it would be hard to get internationally? May need to search online though. Shipping could be crappy though...
                Last edited by Maria de Luna; 03 Sep 2012, 01:43. Reason: I spell crappy...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post

- - - Updated - - -
                  Sometimes though, people can't eat the local cuisine. For example, I have SERIOUS food allergies. In countries without strict health and labelling codes and where lentils and beans and things are staples, I actually can't eat anything. Contamination is too big a risk. So, I had to eat at Planet Hollywood in Mexico, for example (which broke my heart because Mexican food is my favourite), and I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the same in places like Thailand. Usually, expensive restaurants are affordable in these countries and are a safer bet, but sometimes you're not always around one, and your options are chains and questionable (for me) food.

A lot of people are uncomfortable with trying new food. I do think they should try (because they can!) but since sometimes I'm forced to be overly cautious, I can understand where they're coming from.

It's not a developed vs. developing country issue either. When I first came to Berlin, allergy awareness sucked, and I didn't eat out much. I had anaphylactic shock twice within my first year. It can also be tricky in developed countries because there isn't strict laws about having to provide ingredients lists yet in most places...you have to in the supermarket but restaurants can deflect with "we're not really sure" (bless Canada, which requires ingredients lists in restaurants!) A lot of soy is used mixed with meat to save money (KFC is actually guilty of this, btw), especially in North America (though I've had anaphylactic shock a couple of times over here because of surprise soy in what was supposed to be meat). Because of this, it's sometimes best to stick with what you know when there's any doubt. Sometimes, this means that you go to Subway instead of somewhere local.

Comment

Granted Danie but theres nothing to stop you doing that since theres Subways everywhere. They dont have to be exploiting heritage sites to make moeny. If someone goes to view the culture of a place and they dont want to eat cultural food... well theyre either unfortunate like yourself or too insular to be involved in heritage tourism. They want a package holiday in tshirt nirvana.

Its funny hearing heritage tourists complaining "Its not like this at home". Its BA Barakas syndrome. They drink a milkshake fall asleep and wake up in Dublin Airport not knowing they were ever on a plane. They dont even realise theyve left home until they try to pinch someone for not wearing green and get punched in the nose. haha

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    I'm thinking you aren't too hip as to what's going on in Egypt. I think Dumuzi is quite fine with the pizza places in Egypt. And the Pepsi. He loves the Pepsi.

Pst. all those people working in the pizza huts in Egypt...are OMG...Egyptians!
                    IVe no problem with pizza in egypt, I do have a problem with multinational corporations exploiting heritage sites anywhere though. I hope the deaf staff only KFCs and similar corporate responses to egyptian culture takes off in the west too.

Im amazed its allowed to happen in Egypt at all though. The only excuse I can imagine is its like Ireland in the 80s and their govt is money hungry, corrupt and incompitant while their people are too busy knocking the crap out of each other to notice a bit of heritage fraud.

Comment

So what do you suggest people with food allergies do when visiting such sites? Keep in mind that some countries don't exactly have great medical care....

I'd also like to note that I don't think that KFC is RIGHT AT the pyramids. If you see other photos of Cairo, much of the city has a view like that...
                      Last edited by DanieMarie; 03 Sep 2012, 10:27.

Comment

So what do you suggest people with food allergies do when visiting such sites? Keep in mind that some countries don't exactly have great medical care....
                        Pack a lunch Danie. Have a picnic. Alternately have a good breakfast and wait til you get back to the restaurant in your hotel to eat or if youre not into that go to one of the many multinationals that arent at heritage sites and bring that with you.

Heritage tourism isnt suited to the type of person who cant live without being 10 minutes from a familiar fast food place and munches on mcdonalds every day. Heritage sites can be in the city but usually theyre in the back of beyonds. A friend of mine was at a heritage site on sunday and it was up a mountain... If you live on mcdonalds youre not going to enjoy hillwalking without a crash cart near by.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to note that I don't think that KFC is RIGHT AT the pyramids. If you see other photos of Cairo, much of the city has a view like that...
                        This is how close it is. Gimmie some credit Danie, I do research things before I loose the plot about them.

Comment

I pack lots of lunches...I'm just saying that sometimes, you have issues getting groceries in touristy areas. Sometimes, you're doing activities that prevent you from packing a lunch, or the weather is too hot. Sometimes, hotels don't have breakfast, or you also can't eat them (HUGE issue with buffet breakfasts...contamination is a problem!)

I understand that people without serious food allergies just don't get it, but it's something to think about I'm not trying to attack you or single you out...I do this a lot. I feel that awareness is the biggest issue surrounding food allergies. People just have a lot of trouble understanding how hard it can be to eat, and often we sound a bit paranoid or unadventurous to inexperienced ears. If I got money every time I heard "just try it" when people bring up going for Thai food, I'd be super rich! (for the record, I love thai food...I make it myself all the time...but eating at restaurants is crazy risky!)

My most heartbreaking moment was in old-town Montreal. I had to eat at Subway because I didn't know where to eat. Poutine is one of my favourite things ever, but every poutine place said "vegetarian gravy" and couldn't tell me it wasn't soy-free, and there were all these maple places that had "may contain peanuts." So, I had to eat at Subway. Luckily the day before I went to a brew pub with a friend and had poutine there (it was safe!) For the record, I HATE Subway...but I know I can eat it. I'd actually rather eat ANYTHING other than any chain restaurant food (including subway...still full of crap), because 99% of the time, I don't eat food with artificial ingredients in it. I'm like your friend...I'm hiking up mountains and cycling through places a lot of the time, and I feel like it affects my body too much. So it's not like I"m living off that stuff. I HATE it. But with food allergies, sometimes it's just the lesser of evils

- - - Updated - - -

PS I'd like to note that I'm a massive foodie (to the point of being pretentious about it) and I'm a cooking enthusiast as well. I love trying new dishes from different places! When I travel, I desperately WANT to try all the local dishes, and it's hard for me when I can't. Really hard. So, that's why I'm so vocal and sensitive about this
                          Last edited by DanieMarie; 03 Sep 2012, 11:10.

Comment

That does sound complicated Danie. Especially being deprived of Poutine in Canada A&W Poutine and a frosty mug of rootbeer is like food crack.

Have you tried that Paleo nutrition plan? Someone I know has similar issues to you and she swears by paleo food says its made her life so much easier. No gluten, no dairy, no soy. Im thinking about it myself... for years. I havent got around to it yet :P

Comment

I sort of eat Paleo but to be honest, I'm not allergic to gluten or dairy and I really love goat cheese, yogurt, and spelt (usually what I eat..I bake with it and use spelt pasta). Not really willing to totally cut either out! I do mostly live off meat, fruit and veggies though

I was glad to get my poutine fix in Montreal...my friend took me to this brew pub (a small chain) that makes its own beer and seemed to have relatively home-made food. Anyway the gravy was soy-free, so I went for it!

Comment

Canada has some savage small pubs it has to be said. Canadians can take pubs really seriously. If I had a million euro I cant think of a better way to spend time then to go to this pub.

Even though its in a tiny little town in the middle of the rockies they moved it brick by brick from Dublin. Thats dedication. Its got good food, great local beers and maple whiskey (lethally dangerous. its delicious but its whiskey with all its argument causing properties). I havent found a more random or a nicer spot to relax in anywhere. Keep the suites and the champagne, finding that pub in that town is an experience money cant buy

Comment

Working...
                                X