X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      Where I used to live, the person who organized and hosted the event would pay for it. That's why I ask, and not all aspects of a cultural norm are obvious from the start. Still, I really wish she had given me notice so I wasn't counting out my pennies. -.- And then I come right back to- if payroll and HR weren't so disorganized, I wouldn't be flipping out right now anyway! Just holding my breath for friday so I can check the status of my paystubs...

happy thoughts happy thoughts *facedesk* happy thoughts....
      Is there anyway you can say "hey, I can't afford this, with my pay effed up?"
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        WHY do people hate on cops so much? I've met a few bad cops, I've met a ton of good ones. You cant judge a whole organization by a few idiots who managed to get a badge.
        People remember the outliers, the very small percentage that stands out. People just don't remember all the cops they met that are just doing their job and doing it well, they remember the assholes.

People also tend to be shortsighted, things that affect society as a whole are less important than things that directly affect us. We don't think about how many lives Officer Miller saved by being vigilant about speeding and drunk driving, we think about how much money we have to pay because we were in a hurry or "only had a few."
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Is there anyway you can say "hey, I can't afford this, with my pay effed up?"
          I could, but when the other 2 managers are going and I'm the odd one out I look, and feel, like a jerk about it.

Now the other question, when I'm going to a bachelorette party with 15 other girls and we're basically doing a pub crawl through the cities, will I look like a jerk if I only drink coke? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
            Where I used to live, the person who organized and hosted the event would pay for it. That's why I ask, and not all aspects of a cultural norm are obvious from the start. Still, I really wish she had given me notice so I wasn't counting out my pennies. -.- And then I come right back to- if payroll and HR weren't so disorganized, I wouldn't be flipping out right now anyway! Just holding my breath for friday so I can check the status of my paystubs...

happy thoughts happy thoughts *facedesk* happy thoughts....
            Yeah that's a pretty normal thing here too. But people wouldn't complain if you let them know, in advance, with the invite, that there was a cost. I just think it's an epic dick move that they didn't let you know in plenty of time.

And yeah, a bit sad to drink coke, but just don't let them know it's missing scotch/burbon etc!
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Yeah that's a pretty normal thing here too. But people wouldn't complain if you let them know, in advance, with the invite, that there was a cost. I just think it's an epic dick move that they didn't let you know in plenty of time.

And yeah, a bit sad to drink coke, but just don't let them know it's missing scotch/burbon etc!
              haha good idea, as if they'd know if I'm the one ordering it....

Comment

Rant of the day: I don't know WHY the neighbor thinks it's a good idea to weed eat at 9am in the morning, but I'm about to go whack him upside his face if he doesn't turn that thing off really soon... >_<
                It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                  Rant of the day: I don't know WHY the neighbor thinks it's a good idea to weed eat at 9am in the morning, but I'm about to go whack him upside his face if he doesn't turn that thing off really soon... >_<
                  lol...by 9 AM, I've been up for 5 hours!

...which is a rant in and of itself...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

So I love our new kittens, they're amazing and beautiful. But at about 3am every morning I'm ready to declare they are fuckin' demons. Evil, I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                      9am is a perfectly reasonable time to start doing stuff outside. It's not too hot yet and generally everyone is up by then.
                      Perhaps I'm just too nice a person, but I can't really stay angry with people who do stuff during the day. even if I'm trying to get some sleep.
                      Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Agel View Post
                        9am is a perfectly reasonable time to start doing stuff outside. It's not too hot yet and generally everyone is up by then.
                        Perhaps I'm just too nice a person, but I can't really stay angry with people who do stuff during the day. even if I'm trying to get some sleep.
                        I don't get angry till they are doing this at 9 PM.
                        I used to get mad at 9 AM when i went to work at noon, but that hasn't been for ages...
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                          WHY do people hate on cops so much? I've met a few bad cops, I've met a ton of good ones. You cant judge a whole organization by a few idiots who managed to get a badge. I gotta admit they can be annoying because whenever Motorcyclists ride in groups they will pull you over and ask for id, basically just to slow us down. But, that being said, if we didn't have cops society would collapse in a week. So its a good trade off.
                          It's not so much 'hate' for me as mistrust. Our cops here in Vegas tend to be very gung-ho Wild West type cops. Shoot first, ask details later. I understand that their lives are often in danger, but in a way, they've done it to themselves by their gung-ho-ness.

And they shoot dogs. One repeatedly threatened to shoot our dog when she was a 4-month old puppy, not a very big one, and she's not even one of the 'bad' breeds. It was a plain ol' traffic stop at 7am. We drive a Dodge Neon. We're a middle-aged white couple who were compliant. I wasn't going to act up - I was working for the local government at the time, was on my way to work, had my ID & everything. Why threaten our puppy?
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                            It's not so much 'hate' for me as mistrust. Our cops here in Vegas tend to be very gung-ho Wild West type cops. Shoot first, ask details later. I understand that their lives are often in danger, but in a way, they've done it to themselves by their gung-ho-ness.

And they shoot dogs. One repeatedly threatened to shoot our dog when she was a 4-month old puppy, not a very big one, and she's not even one of the 'bad' breeds. It was a plain ol' traffic stop at 7am. We drive a Dodge Neon. We're a middle-aged white couple who were compliant. I wasn't going to act up - I was working for the local government at the time, was on my way to work, had my ID & everything. Why threaten our puppy?
                            I remember seeing a video not too long ago.... A man had been video-taping an arrest at a house from afar with his dog on a leash by his side. When he noticed that the cops had seen him, he calmly walked to his car and put his dog inside. He approached the police and eventually they forcefully began arresting him. Well, his dog managed to climb through the half-open window of the car, and he jumped over to protect his owner. No biting, just jumping around and putting his paws on the legs of the police. Well, both ended up shooting the dog not once, but several times each.

Can you imagine? Having your dog shot in cold blood in front of you just because it was worried about you?

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                              I remember seeing a video not too long ago.... A man had been video-taping an arrest at a house from afar with his dog on a leash by his side. When he noticed that the cops had seen him, he calmly walked to his car and put his dog inside. He approached the police and eventually they forcefully began arresting him. Well, his dog managed to climb through the half-open window of the car, and he jumped over to protect his owner. No biting, just jumping around and putting his paws on the legs of the police. Well, both ended up shooting the dog not once, but several times each.

Can you imagine? Having your dog shot in cold blood in front of you just because it was worried about you?
                              We almost got to witness it first-hand. I have no doubt in my mind that if we had questioned the cop, or hesitated in giving him IDs, or reaching for anything, he would have shot the dog. I've seen enough articles & news reports & other people talking about cops who search the wrong house & shoot the resident's dog(s), or shoot dogs in back yards.

And if they aren't shooting dogs, they're using unreasonable force on people. Or using their position to harass women at a gym - and the women are too terrified of having a cop stalk them to complain or report the incident to the gym administration or the police administration.

So no, I don't hate them. They're humans, with human weakness and make human errors... but if I ever needed help and I was by myself, and was in a position where I had to call the police, I'd try to find some nearby location that had at least a few people wandering around before I called the cops. And if a cop ever knocked on my door wanting to speak with me or investigate my home, I'd have my webcams rolling and I'd call or text a few people just in case things went wrong.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                                So no, I don't hate them. They're humans, with human weakness and make human errors... but if I ever needed help and I was by myself, and was in a position where I had to call the police, I'd try to find some nearby location that had at least a few people wandering around before I called the cops. And if a cop ever knocked on my door wanting to speak with me or investigate my home, I'd have my webcams rolling and I'd call or text a few people just in case things went wrong.

There was an APB on a car similar to mine (unbenownst to me) in a rural area that I drove thru on the way home when I was in college. It was the middle of the night on a dark, two lane highway and the cop behind me was in an unmarked police car with the windshield light. Needless to say, I kept driving until I made it to a farm with huge overhead lights, and pulled up right next to their house.

The cop was all sorts of pissed off, but I was like "sir, I'm a 19 year old girl in the middle of no where and you are in an unmarked car...I'm doing exactly what my police officer boyfriend told me to do because its not all that difficult to get a light for your car". He checked my ID and stuff and let me on my way... (this was also 13 years ago)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X