Unpopular Opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

It seems nobody mentioned pizza, pizza! Also bacon. And bacon of course.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

For me, the big one is salmon. I LOVE salmon. I don't eat it that much because I mostly eat local food and salmon usually comes from other places (and I prefer Pacific salmon to Atlantic), but it's something I don't think I could really give up, especially when I go visit my family in Canada. They always have fresh sockeye and it's just too good! It's also usually pretty sustainable, because they usually buy it from smaller fishing boats or get it from people they know who fish as a hobby. And I know how the fishery system works and how it is really strict about numbers and conservation.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
        I agree!

I always choose sausage, when asked "bacon or sausage?"
        I always choose both, because pork...

Originally posted by iris View Post
        It seems nobody mentioned pizza, pizza! Also bacon. And bacon of course.
        Oooo, bacon pizza... drooooool...
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

My most dividing and controversial unpopular opinion is probably that I sympathise with Russia. Sure, things would have turned out a lot less bloody if Putin hadn't armed the pro-Russian's in Ukraine, but I don't see how his actions weren't logical from Russia's point of view, or how it differs from what Thatcher did in the Falklands. Disputes over territory are nothing new, but I think that the sanctions on Russia were too extreme, especially as it's your everyday citizen who ends up suffering. I think The West came out looking pretty bad from this, especially when you look at Russia's economy before all of this kicked off. Coincidence? Or a chance to conveniently keep a 'dangerous' nation down? Hmm, I wonder...

Russia, IS corrupt as all hell, seriously dodgy.. just like we are, as is the Eurozone.. and the USA...
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            My most dividing and controversial unpopular opinion is probably that I sympathise with Russia. Sure, things would have turned out a lot less bloody if Putin hadn't armed the pro-Russian's in Ukraine, but I don't see how his actions weren't logical from Russia's point of view, or how it differs from what Thatcher did in the Falklands. Disputes over territory are nothing new, but I think that the sanctions on Russia were too extreme, especially as it's your everyday citizen who ends up suffering. I think The West came out looking pretty bad from this, especially when you look at Russia's economy before all of this kicked off. Coincidence? Or a chance to conveniently keep a 'dangerous' nation down? Hmm, I wonder...

Russia, IS corrupt as all hell, seriously dodgy.. just like we are, as is the Eurozone.. and the USA...
            I'm sort of with you in that I dislike both sides of that conflict. I see Russia's point of view, but I dislike Putin for a lot of reasons (like his stance on gay people). I do think that people don't really understand that Putin is wildly popular in Russia. There are a lot of issues with corruption, but a lot of people still support him. You can't always make the population of a country vote the way you want them to. That's not how democracy works. If that's how democracy worked, then we'd probably never see another Republican (at least not the kind of Republican who is dominating the party now) in the White House again, or another super liberal left-wing party in a national parliament. I still dislike the guy, though, and can't really say I support him.

At the same time, Ukraine isn't exactly peaches and cream, either. There's a lot of influence and support from the far right in that conflict, although a lot of Europe would like to ignore that because it's kind of an uncomfortable topic. There's also a fair bit of nationalism involved. The Ukraine is also not without its corruption; in fact, it's a pretty major issue there.

The best policy for the Ukraine conflict is to stay the hell out of it, but unfortunately, a lot of countries can't see past their hatred of Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              I'm sort of with you in that I dislike both sides of that conflict. I see Russia's point of view, but I dislike Putin for a lot of reasons (like his stance on gay people). I do think that people don't really understand that Putin is wildly popular in Russia. There are a lot of issues with corruption, but a lot of people still support him. You can't always make the population of a country vote the way you want them to. That's not how democracy works. If that's how democracy worked, then we'd probably never see another Republican (at least not the kind of Republican who is dominating the party now) in the White House again, or another super liberal left-wing party in a national parliament. I still dislike the guy, though, and can't really say I support him.

At the same time, Ukraine isn't exactly peaches and cream, either. There's a lot of influence and support from the far right in that conflict, although a lot of Europe would like to ignore that because it's kind of an uncomfortable topic. There's also a fair bit of nationalism involved. The Ukraine is also not without its corruption; in fact, it's a pretty major issue there.

The best policy for the Ukraine conflict is to stay the hell out of it, but unfortunately, a lot of countries can't see past their hatred of Russia.
              This is almost exactly my feeling.. although I didn't know any of that about the nationalism, maybe because it's played down in the media coverage. Oh and yes, I too am especially anti-Putin on his stance on homosexuality. If there wasn't still so much more persecution in Western societies, I'd feel smug about how liberal we are...
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

This is almost exactly my feeling.. although I didn't know any of that about the nationalism, maybe because it's played down in the media coverage. Oh and yes, I too am especially anti-Putin on his stance on homosexuality. If there wasn't still so much more persecution in Western societies, I'd feel smug about how liberal we are...
                For sure.

I'm definitely with you as well that from a Russian standpoint, what they're doing makes sense. The Russian support of the separatists also has a HUGE amount of political support in Russia. As they see it, they're totally justified.

Comment

I'm anti-Putin in general. Now the scum offers to divide Jerusalem. It's not going to happen.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I've seen some moderately compelling justifications for Russia meddling in Crimea. My issue with Russia atm is that I don't particularly trust Putin to stop at Crimea if he thinks he can successfully meddle elsewhere and there are a lot of small nations near Russia who would really prefer not to be annexed. Several of said nations are also NATO members which means Putin moving on them could potentially set off WW3.
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      I've seen some moderately compelling justifications for Russia meddling in Crimea. My issue with Russia atm is that I don't particularly trust Putin to stop at Crimea if he thinks he can successfully meddle elsewhere and there are a lot of small nations near Russia who would really prefer not to be annexed. Several of said nations are also NATO members which means Putin moving on them could potentially set off WW3.
                      In theory, but Nato or no, it would have to be HUGE to get most of Europe to go to war with Russia. They'd be more likely to just cry out about it and put up sanctions like they're doing now, but otherwise turn a blind eye.

Which leads me to another unpopular opinion on the other side of the Atlantic...sometimes places have to go kicking and screaming to bother going to war and sometimes things go way farther than they should because countries want to avoid war, and that's kind of OK. People still REALLY remember WWII here. I mean, we find bombs from it allllll the time and sometimes, people still die from them (like the 4 bomb squad members in Gottingen a few years ago). It would probably have to be an invading Poland kind of situation to get European countries to go to war.

And on invading Poland, a lot of people wonder why England and France didn't stand up to Hitler sooner. Aside from things like a lot of people supporting fascism in other countries (which is something everyone likes to ignore, but it happened), European countries were pretty war-shy after WWI for a good reason. WWI was HORRIBLE. It was also a really stupid war. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy enough for us to say "you should have gotten involved earlier", but I think it felt much different to them.

Comment

My unipolar opinion... I think bacon is way overrated. Like pants.

I don't like bacon and most other pork products.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          My unipolar opinion... I think bacon is way overrated. Like pants.

I don't like bacon and most other pork products.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                          Just one question.. Have you ever had bacon?
                          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

She's not one of us.

Burn her!

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I can understand not liking bacon. I don't like sweets, which most people can't understand. But, PANTS??? LOL
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Paganism-specific unpopular opinion: most of the books written by pagans about pagan religions are mediocre. I'm not talking about the obvious Wicca 101 stuff that everyone expects to be crap. There are way too many pagan books that I bought because I heard them touted left and right as "Omg great insights!!!" only to have them turn out to be . . . ultimately forgettable. I've read way more scholarly books that were genuinely thought-provoking and stirring. Most of the stuff written by pagans is either way too heavily workbook oriented, or it's just kind of tepid. ("Wicca matters to me because I like the Goddess and it connects me with nature and makes me feel spiritual and stuff," basically.)

Comment

Working...
                                X