CAlifornia fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAlifornia fires

THis brings back bad memories of the Oakland hills fire. went out side then to see jet black skies.

I grew up in Oakland,California BTW

- - - Updated - - -

this is what i saw in San Francisco

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: CAlifornia fires

It's terrible how so many people, including celebrities, are losing their houses and their lives. I am praying for everyone in California. I just hope this wildfire stops soon. It seems with every year there is a new wildfire.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
      It's terrible how so many people, including celebrities, are losing their houses and their lives. I am praying for everyone in California. I just hope this wildfire stops soon. It seems with every year there is a new wildfire.
      I do feel terrible for the people suffering. I also realize that, at least in part, the state brought this on themselves. When my grandmother was young (or maybe my great grandmother?), small fires happened regularly. They burned out the debris and undergrowth quickly and then burned out. Once urban sprawl set in a bit more, it became more dangerous, and they started campaigns to end forest fires. Now, the undergrowth is sooo built up that fires are far more destructive than they used to be.

I know climate change is also playing a part. And it doesn't make the hurt these people are experiencing any less, or make them less deserving of help. But I wish they had been a bit more forward thinking in fire management and I wish they would learn from this and change their approach now. (If they are, I haven't heard about it)
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        I do feel terrible for the people suffering. I also realize that, at least in part, the state brought this on themselves. When my grandmother was young (or maybe my great grandmother?), small fires happened regularly. They burned out the debris and undergrowth quickly and then burned out. Once urban sprawl set in a bit more, it became more dangerous, and they started campaigns to end forest fires. Now, the undergrowth is sooo built up that fires are far more destructive than they used to be.

I know climate change is also playing a part. And it doesn't make the hurt these people are experiencing any less, or make them less deserving of help. But I wish they had been a bit more forward thinking in fire management and I wish they would learn from this and change their approach now. (If they are, I haven't heard about it)
        I agree. The suffering is terrible, but being proactive in an area that is prone to frequent bushfires is a necessity.

The trouble is that this proactive initiative must come from a government level to benefit the most people. Certainly, residents themselves can take measures to keep their properties free from excessive tall grass or undergrowth and ensure that they are not burning or using angle grinders, etc. during the dry season.

Some people think it's horrible when we here in Australia, which has an even more regular bushfire season than California, say things like "it's the risk you take when you build in a high-bushfire area". For example, here, each area of the state is rated against a scale of how likely bushfires are to occur. We (perhaps not so intelligently?) chose to build our house in an area of South Australia where bushfires are commonplace. It was a calculated risk and we are aware of the dangers.

The best thing, if there is such a thing, about living in a high bushfire area in Australia is that proactive measures are so commonplace. Each year before bushfire season, governments and the Country Fire Service take great effort to cut fire lanes, clearcut grass and debris and reach out to residents in massive and very visible aggressive marketing campaigns. So, "Bushfire Awareness" here comes with each household receiving kits in the mail about how to come up with and implement their family's "Bushfire Survival Plan". There are maps of all of the shelters in each community, lists on items you may need when leaving and the best and quickest routes out of the fire danger zone.

Each summer, I get our things ready by having the animal transport carriers accessible and ready to go, all of our irreplaceable valuables loaded into a suitcase to be able to grab quickly and I have signed up to receive live updates via email and text message from the CFS when there is a fire anywhere near our area. In the summer, it's not unusual to have dozens of fires start up daily. The good thing is that the CFS are always mobile and able to put them out as soon as they begin (in most cases).

Just a bit of perspective around how California could do a similar thing (if it doesn't already).
        Last edited by Torey; 23 Nov 2018, 15:58.

Comment

Wow, Torey, that's amazing. I was thinking that maybe people should build fire-resistent or fireproof homes. Clay shingles, stone walls, that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            I agree. The suffering is terrible, but being proactive in an area that is prone to frequent bushfires is a necessity.

The trouble is that this proactive initiative must come from a government level to benefit the most people. Certainly, residents themselves can take measures to keep their properties free from excessive tall grass or undergrowth and ensure that they are not burning or using angle grinders, etc. during the dry season.

Some people think it's horrible when we here in Australia, which has an even more regular bushfire season than California, say things like "it's the risk you take when you build in a high-bushfire area". For example, here, each area of the state is rated against a scale of how likely bushfires are to occur. We (perhaps not so intelligently?) chose to build our house in an area of South Australia where bushfires are commonplace. It was a calculated risk and we are aware of the dangers.

The best thing, if there is such a thing, about living in a high bushfire area in Australia is that proactive measures are so commonplace. Each year before bushfire season, governments and the Country Fire Service take great effort to cut fire lanes, clearcut grass and debris and reach out to residents in massive and very visible aggressive marketing campaigns. So, "Bushfire Awareness" here comes with each household receiving kits in the mail about how to come up with and implement their family's "Bushfire Survival Plan". There are maps of all of the shelters in each community, lists on items you may need when leaving and the best and quickest routes out of the fire danger zone.

Each summer, I get our things ready by having the animal transport carriers accessible and ready to go, all of our irreplaceable valuables loaded into a suitcase to be able to grab quickly and I have signed up to receive live updates via email and text message from the CFS when there is a fire anywhere near our area. In the summer, it's not unusual to have dozens of fires start up daily. The good thing is that the CFS are always mobile and able to put them out as soon as they begin (in most cases).

Just a bit of perspective around how California could do a similar thing (if it doesn't already).
            All really good policies. Do they do controlled burns at all? We do controlled burns here in the midwest, but I don't think the danger is generally as high as in California or Australia.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
            X