Finding Balance between the Masculine and Feminine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Balance between the Masculine and Feminine

Finding balance is important in everyone's life, but I find it a little bit hard to balance out the Feminine and Masculine (or God and Goddess, if you will) in my practice. I think one reason why so many people are attracted to the Wiccan and other Pagan paths is because of the emphasis on a feminine deity which was lacking in their previous spirituality.

However, I have a very difficult time incorporating masculine aspects of divinity into my craft and was wondering how anyone else seeks balance or doesn't. If you do have a balanced view, was it hard for you to reach it? Did you ever feel like one was weaker than the other? And, if you primarily worship or work with a deity that is one sex, do you think anything is lacking from your work/worship?

Thank you

Re: Finding Balance between the Masculine and Feminine

Thank you so much for posting this thread, this is a huge struggle in my day to day path, as well as something that frequently shows up in Tarot, only mine is a bit different yours.

Since I was very young, I have been blessed with a strong feminine energy, and somewhat of a sensibility, and I think because of that I have been able to be so content, and effective in my work, ( I work with young adults with mental disabilities.) However, that can become frustrating, and creates a desire to be over masculine in many situations, especially in my "craft". I've really had to learn to live with what I tried desperately to force the masculine into situations, and from all many sources I would get the "embrace your feminine". I'm hopeful that it only makes me more open and prepared for everything around me.

Comment

For a long time, I had difficulty connecting with my masculine side as well as with masculine deities. In fact, I considered Dianic Wicca at some point what with how strong of a connection I felt with my feminine aspect.

I have worked with many different female Goddesses, and I have always felt a deep bond with each of them. I tried to incorporate a God, but with every God I tried to link myself to, I could feel nothing. I was not brought up Christian, nor did I have a negative picture of God... So I almost felt broken that I could not connect to a God at all, when others around me seemed so in love with their masculine deity.

It wasn't until I began angelolatry that I began experiencing the masculine. Even now, most of the Archangels appear to me in a masculine form as a way of easing me into my masculine aspect.

Personally, I really felt lacking before I had this masculine connection. It was like I was only experiencing half of everything I did, and that my effort was not extended. I still feel a missing piece, but I hope that with further work it can be filled with what I have learned through working with the Archangels.

Comment

I'm one of those people who prefers to connect with the feminine side of the divine. Not because gods are icky, but because I resonate with goddesses more. (Which isn't to say I don't have gods I worship.) I think some people will naturally be drawn to one or the other. Some say that's not okay, that we need to balance the two out. Personally, I think it depends on attitude. If you avoid the masculine because you have a completely negative view of it, then that's not balanced. If you can acknowledge that both masculine and feminine energies, beings, etc are needed, then that's different. It comes down to preference at that point.

Balance between the two came for me when I realized that each is inherent in the other. What I'm trying to say is, even the most masculine of energies has a feminine component. The most feminine of energies has a masculine component. I think the best example of this idea in terms of my tradition's deities is Atum. Before he created the world, he was both male and female, because there was no division in creation. Everything was One. Even today, I imagine him as being both masculine and feminine. Why? Because he's the monad, the source from which everything springs, so he contains everything in himself and everything is contained in him simultaneously. Including the apparent opposites of male and female.

I wouldn't refer to him as her, despite that. XD
        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I mentioned something about this on another thread, but even now I have a really difficult time balancing both the masculine and feminine in my practice. I feel that I can identify and understand the masculine side better, but it is more distant. With the feminine side, I feel it very strongly but can never get a clear identity. It's very frustrating.

Comment

I don't really see the big deal in having a balance of masculine and feminine... But that's just me. In my practice, overall, there are certain entities that I work with whom are feminine and certain ones whom are masculine. That said, they are not always "balanced" in the sense of it being an even case of feminine entities and masculine entities. There are even a couple of entities whom are androgynous. *shrug*

(I may elaborate a little more once I'm not at work)
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrayus View Post
              Finding balance is important in everyone's life, but I find it a little bit hard to balance out the Feminine and Masculine (or God and Goddess, if you will) in my practice. I think one reason why so many people are attracted to the Wiccan and other Pagan paths is because of the emphasis on a feminine deity which was lacking in their previous spirituality.

However, I have a very difficult time incorporating masculine aspects of divinity into my craft and was wondering how anyone else seeks balance or doesn't. If you do have a balanced view, was it hard for you to reach it? Did you ever feel like one was weaker than the other? And, if you primarily worship or work with a deity that is one sex, do you think anything is lacking from your work/worship?

Thank you
              When I first started investigating pagan beliefs I was always a little confused as to why people felt the need to seek gender balance with their deities/spirits against each other. I was quite relieved when deeper reading and investigation revealed that not all paths were like that.
              If there is an imbalance in my life then I look at myself and the world around me and seek to address those before using the spiritual as a counter balance/ crutch.

I think a lot of it comes from how you approach your paths, I started with just an interest in all religions and the occult, then moved through general occultism where the gender of the ritualists/ supplicants was of concern, rarely the gender of the divine. Indeed in a lot of cases the divine was assumed to be without gender.

From working with male and female entities, I have never felt any was weaker without the other they all have their strengths.

Comment

What has always intrigued me is this notion of balance which also suggests equality. A substance that has a ratio of 1 to 99 is as in balance as a substance that has a ratio of 50 to 50. What to me makes it important is the determination of whether it is to be a dynamic ratio or a static ratio. A static ratio almost implies a stagnate movement and staleness. Yet a dynamic ratio implies that the greater whole is always the final result and desired outcome not the composition that makes it up.

Masculine and feminine are nothing but aspects that have minimums and extreme's to its composition. Yet it seems to miss the fact that one is always contained within the other so unless it is at the outer extreme then nothing is fully masculine or feminine in position. Doesn't matter whether is be a god / goddess / human male or human female or any creature that can be identified as male or female.

Being dynamic also implies, to me anyway, that there will be points where the masculine is nearly the whole thus a god maybe all that is present in ones practice just as there will be points where the feminine is the only thing present thus only a goddess will be present. Then being dynamic the practitioner will find they will never have a point where it is a balanced ratio of 50 to 50 in anything. If it does become 50 to 50 then it seems stagnate more than dynamic and no longer fulfills the needs for there is no ability to grow.

For me I know the goddess was the main influence in my life in my youth and into my early teens. From my late teens until I retired from the military it was the god or gods who inspired and oversaw my life while the goddess or goddesses stayed in the background but present at the same time. At this point in my life the Goddesses are more present as the outward energy and action / influence of the gods is less needed than the internal self analyzing energy of the goddesses.''Yet that internal focus is greatly different than it was in my youth and early teens. I suppose one might say all through my life the gods have provided the outward active energy and drive to push forward while the goddess energy has passively directed inward as one evaluates and considers.

That is not to say that a god may not inspire the passive internal directed energy and perspective nor that a goddess can not inspire an outward active energy. For I find the gods / goddesses to be dynamic in their makeup and influence,thus moving from one extreme to another and everything in between them.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Thank you for all the lovely answers. My slow brain is still trying to process all of them
                  Originally posted by WinterTraditions
                  For a long time, I had difficulty connecting with my masculine side as well as with masculine deities. In fact, I considered Dianic Wicca at some point what with how strong of a connection I felt with my feminine aspect.
                  only reason. I have to admit ignorance in what angelolatry is though.
                  Originally posted by Satu
                  What I'm trying to say is, even the most masculine of energies has a feminine component. The most feminine of energies has a masculine component.
                  Originally posted by Optimistic discord
                  I think a lot of it comes from how you approach your paths, I started with just an interest in all religions and the occult, then moved through general occultism where the gender of the ritualists/ supplicants was of concern, rarely the gender of the divine. Indeed in a lot of cases the divine was assumed to be without gender
                  Originally posted by monsno_leedra
                  What has always intrigued me is this notion of balance which also suggests equality. A substance that has a ratio of 1 to 99 is as in balance as a substance that has a ratio of 50 to 50. What to me makes it important is the determination of whether it is to be a dynamic ratio or a static ratio. A static ratio almost implies a stagnate movement and staleness. Yet a dynamic ratio implies that the greater whole is always the final result and desired outcome not the composition that makes it up.

Comment

I must admit, since I focused on the Slavic pantheon, I have felt an absence of goddesses in my practice. My main deities are Perun, Dazbog, and Svarogich, with only occasional interaction with Moist Mother Earth. Sometimes I feel that there is a deficit in female presence.

It's hard to find much on Slavic goddesses. I've prodded extremely obscure Slavic goddesses and female spirits such as Sreca, Dolya, Marzanna, the Zoryas, and Ziva, and Vesna, but gotten little in return. In the past, I've been interested in the Baltic Saule, but I don't know about incorporating her into a Slavic practice. When I was eclectic, I had some interesting experiences while attempting to contact Ishtar, but I couldn't say if they were meant to be encouraging or not. In one dream, she seemed to make me feminine in a very literal sense, which I found disturbing.
                    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Dianic Wicca was at one point in my studies an interest in me as well and for the same reasons. I didn’t follow up with it due to it was the only reason. I have to admit ignorance in what angelolatry is though
                      Angelolatry is the worship of angels (Such as Michael, Raphael, Cassiel, Gabriel, Azrael, ect)

Similarly, demonolatry is the worship of demons (Azazel, Lucifer, Vine, Zepar, ect)

Comment

Personally, to me, God isn't male or female, it just is. There are male and female manifestations of it, and the earth, which I focus most of my attention, is mostly feminine, but deity doesn't swing either way.

When I first hit Wicca, I was all like 'YEAH! Goddess rules, screw you God! Yay for women! The Earth is a GODDESS.' I wanted to be such a rebel. But I can be sooo male. I mean I'm a chick, and I love boobs, but I like, really love boobs, like, really *winks*, and I like men too. I love sport and farting, and playing with my hair and wearing dresses. So I realised *I* was a neat mix of both, why can't deity be a neat mix, or more simple, neither?

Just my personal thoughts
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thank you
                          I've had issues with this. I looked for a long time for a religion that was gender friendly and had either a nice balance or an equal tension between these aspects. This is why I can't be completely satisfied with either Wicca or Christianity - one or the other is in a dominant position, which I don't agree with.

I always had a nebulous concept that I called The Union. That would be the Primal Deity of where all opposites are reconciled and all paradoxes are true. Only I wanted something a little more established, rather than just kind of making up something myself and cherrypicking things I like from other faiths.

So, I've been reading up on Hermeticism and Kabbalah here lately. I think that I may be able to work with these, even if Kabbalah still confuses me at this time (I made a thread on this and poor Perzephone tried to help me and ended up with a headache herself).
                          There once was a man who said though,
                          It seems that I know that I know,
                          What I'd like to see,
                          Is the I that knows me,
                          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

I don't consider "balance" to be as important as equilibrium. The difference is that balance is a static state while equilibrium is a dynamic one. Its not about being 50/50, its about what is relevant. Sometimes that's the masculine side of deity, and sometimes that's the feminine side of deity...and, I will add, that does not mean that the masculine deity in question is male or that the feminine deity in question is female. It is perfectly possible to have a goddess-centered practice that is in equilibrium between masculine and feminine (or the a god-centered practice).
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X