World's first in-vitro beef burger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World's first in-vitro beef burger

I know,this caught me off guard,but this has been in the development stages for a while.

A quote:

"World's first in-vitro beef burger
    The meat in the burger has been made by knitting together around 20,000 strands of protein that has been cultured from cattle stem cells in Post's lab."

I wonder if this will become the "New" thing around the world. Is Star Trek far behind with its replicators?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: World's first in-vitro beef burger

Gene Roddenberry was a true visionary. When this 3-D "printing" stuff came around, the ST replicators were the first thing I thought of! I'm sure it's in the works.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

he was a visionary, but actually alot of technology being created today the idea it self has come from star trek, thats been the inspiration to create some of these technologies, we just need to start advancing our cultural, spiritual, and emotional maturity now.

Comment

One thing that constantly pushes my buttons is the "Star Trek was the inspiration for.....".
        The majority of technology often quoted (mobile phones) had precursor technology and research that predated the series (and I say this being a fan of pretty much all sci-fi including Teck ).

Its like all those terrible new stories where they get "famous scientist" to spout some random sound bite about how Star-Trek influenced them, this then gets spun into "Star-Trek is why we have mobile phones!!11!!" ignoring the years of research and tech that came before the series :P

Back on topic:
        I have been so suprised at how longs its taken in-vitro flesh to be realised.
        Its such old old old technology, I remember being so excited when we were growing animal tissue in the lab back in the early 90s at college, sure those were just cell masses, but the end game was the same

Personally I prefer mycoprotein and vat grown proteins as the food solution

Comment

ok fair point maybe not all technology is inspired by star trek but alot of it is. and ill admit most of it was inspired or taken from the space race *as star trek was inspired by the space race)

Comment

Yeh,from the space race came "Tang" the sorta orange drink...For those to old to remember "Tang" you really did not miss much. Oh and the "Space pen" that would write upside down....ahhh the memories...

The "Space pen"

and "Tang"

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

3D printing honestly kind of scares me. I mean the things you could print with it that could be dangerous... I see it as a dangerous technology.

This food making stuff, on the other hand, seems quite helpful. The kind of uses for it are enormous. Part of me wonders even if there's a way to grow, say animal fat or even fat from vegetables as alternative energy sources. That could certainly help ween us off oil if it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Yeh,from the space race came "Tang" the sorta orange drink...For those to old to remember "Tang" you really did not miss much.
                I love Tang. They still make it actually. Its really good with Southern Comfort and Sprite on ice. I discovered that in college. Its one of the few "not really food" foods that I adore.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
                  3D printing honestly kind of scares me. I mean the things you could print with it that could be dangerous... I see it as a dangerous technology.
                  By that logic the most dangerous thing we know is the human mind.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I think you have hit the nail right on the head Denarius. Mankind is its own worst enemy in many ways. It is sad that a species that can build what we have built seems to have something of an inborn death wish as a species.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

My father was an AT&T lifer and when Star Trek came out he said we'd have cordless phones, that it was already conceptualized. I think the show helped make the items popular, and increased public demand, if not the act of invention.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I think you have hit the nail right on the head Denarius. Mankind is its own worst enemy in many ways. It is sad that a species that can build what we have built seems to have something of an inborn death wish as a species.
                        'Eh, we are no different than any other species.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          'Eh, we are no different than any other species.
                          Bonobos are pretty on the ball regarding this topic, they solve most of their problems by having sex.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I think humanity as a collective unconscious wants us all to die but that really has nothing to do with this topic. Personally I think it sounds like a really expensive and overtly complex way to make a burger
                            Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                              really expensive and overtly complex way to make a burger
                              And the current beef industry standard isn't?

Comment

Working...
                              X