Seven deadly sins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seven deadly sins

It is not necessary to be Catholic, or religious at all, to consider this framework for human ethics. I often accidentally find myself thinking about this classification of vice. It happened this morning when I felt proud of something I had done and began pondering pride as a sin. I grew up with a mother constantly admonishing me to "show a little pride" in the things I did, and clergy admonishing me to cultivate humility, that "pride goeth before destruction." An ironic twist is that I have known a few people quite proud of their humility. Anyway, another occasion this morning to revisit what pride is and is not, which once again opened the doorway to thinking about all of the supposed vices.

Without looking it up, can you list the seven deadly sins? Give it a try and see. I almost always miss the one or two that I am currently struggling with, as if my mind hides them from me.

So here is the list: pride, wrath, sloth, envy, greed, gluttony, lust. I actually listed from the one I have struggled with most to the one I have struggled with least. Let me clarify that to me lust is not wanting a lot of sex, but more the strong desire for anything of a material nature from money to power. Similarly, I don't see sloth as not cleaning one's living quarters, but laziness of mind and unwillingness to act when seeing the need for action.

I was wondering if others had pondered these and what they meant to you if you have. Is there one vice in particular with which you struggle?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: Seven deadly sins

Envy and pride. I am to proud to admit I need help and ask for it. Envy I sometimes get to focused on how green the grass is on the other side. I consider them weaknesses and strengths they help motivate me to work harder.

Comment

I think these are terrible things, not the feelings but the idea that they must be "fought."

There is nothing better than a lust for life, pride in your accomplishments, rest when you are tired (sloth), aspiring to be better (envy), having and taking what you desire not just the bare minimum to survive (gluttony), greed is just a word people use when they envy what you have and want you to give it to them and wrath...sometimes anger is righteous and it is necessary to protect the people and things you have chosen to assign value to.

I HATE the idea that these basic human emotions are wrong and bad. I think it is in denying then, seeing these normal urges as wrong/evil/bad is what makes them so powerful that they prevent you from feeling joy. The entire point of sins are to make you feel guilty and I say NO.

Letting go of being Catholic is hard. It's such a part of your mind that you actually confuse feelings with actions. They teach you that FEELING lust or greed are bad, even if you don't act on them. I struggled with those feelings for years and that's no way to live.

Comment

Bouncing off Rowanwood^ I just think there are two sides to every coin, I feel the moment you define Sin is the moment the negative side becomes more apparent than the positive side etc etc. thus I don't like the concept. I usually just operate on the 'wow scale'. That is; if I do something bad, 'wow that was bad'; if I do something good, 'wow that was good', and I endeavor to act according to the experiences instead of a specific, kinda-vague set of rules
        I do however, find myself recoiling a lot from the opinions and emotions of other people, so if anything my 'Sin' would be a lack of self-belief/self-respect (though it's probably not comparable to the Seven above).
        Work hard Play hard.
        What is history?

Comment

The 7 deadly sins only showed up in the 1400's or so,not mentioned in the Bible ever.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Erm I need to look this up before I can be 100% sure, but as I recall the seven deadly sins goes all the way back to the 4th or 5th century and the founding of the Christian church. Though, again if I recall correctly, the list was originally a bit different. I believe they were made "popular" when Dante used them in his Divine Comedy (which is from the 14th century), but he didn't invent them.
            (I need to go find my notes on Dante)
            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Do that Moonraven,My memory is from a history channel thing from a while back..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Late 6th century.

Sadness used to be a deadly sin until the 17th century.

SADNESS.

Information on the history of the Seven Deadly Sins, as well as cultural commentary, reading and resources on Sin and Virtue. Additional info on the Heavenly, Cardinal, and Theological Virtues.

Comment

Damn Rowan,I must have broken this sin a few times in my life,who knew...Le Sigh...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                    I think these are terrible things, not the feelings but the idea that they must be "fought."

There is nothing better than a lust for life, pride in your accomplishments, rest when you are tired (sloth), aspiring to be better (envy), having and taking what you desire not just the bare minimum to survive (gluttony), greed is just a word people use when they envy what you have and want you to give it to them and wrath...sometimes anger is righteous and it is necessary to protect the people and things you have chosen to assign value to.

I HATE the idea that these basic human emotions are wrong and bad. I think it is in denying then, seeing these normal urges as wrong/evil/bad is what makes them so powerful that they prevent you from feeling joy. The entire point of sins are to make you feel guilty and I say NO.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^ so much of that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Late 6th century.

SADNESS.

http://deadlysins.com/sins/history.html
                    Wow...... A lost for words. I couldnt be catholic I never understood the confession process commit adultry go say ten hail marrys.

Comment

Kinda sounds like just being human is a sin...Good thing I am just this short of being human...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I really don't look at those natural emotions to be sins but a vital part of our existence , if u have no pride u will never achieve anything , if u don't have lust then u have no desire to gain things , and gluttony is the idea of enjoying ones self a little to much personally I see no problem with it , this is actually one of the main reasons I left the christian faith because they said I shouldn't have pride and I should follow god like a sheep with unquestionable faith , then they started talking about how u shouldn't be a hypocrit but the dude who was teaching was a hypocrit so was everyone in the congregation . I believe that I was made perfect exactly as the gods saw fit
                        Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

I agree. "Sin" - a human concept, created by humans to induce guilt for...being human?

Most forms of Satanism embrace the "7 deadly sins" to some degree and encourage approaching the concept with a different perspective. The illustrations which Rowanwood has given for each is exemplary of this.

Comment

Rowanwood, I didn't realize you are a recovering Catholic and hope you did not experience too much pain upon seeing the thread title. I don't think that the list was developed to be used in the way it came to be used, but as an exercise in deciding which qualities made a person "good" or "bad," basic ethics, really. I think these qualities were chosen because they elevate the individual above the group, which would have been considered self-idolatry. It is not only medieval Christian thought that had a problem with an overemphasis on the self, though. Many other religious traditions, as well as some current science, holds that the self is illusory.

Amadi, sin is just a word, and as good a word as any for describing what is right and wrong despite being the vocabulary of religion, imo. Maybe you don't think there is any right or wrong, in which case the word is meaningless ... and don't complain about anything ever again because it's all good. Anyway, I would see "lack of self-belief/self-respect" as sloth, not doing what you believe should be done, not being all that you can be, etc.

anunitu, for most Christians just being human WAS/IS a sin. Ask the next one you meet and you will probably get Romans 3:23 quoted at you.

I dunno, satanic witch, when out of balance I think natural emotions can become deadly, whether metaphorically or actually. For example, an excess of pride becomes hubris and the person is no longer able to evaluate information. An excess of wrath easily becomes murder.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Late 6th century.

SADNESS.

http://deadlysins.com/sins/history.html
                              Baaahumbug.

People aren't meant to be always happy. People are meant to experience a full range of emotions. People who don't are often called psychopaths.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment