Musicianship Development Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musicianship Development Thread

There's lots of threads in this sub-forum where people can declare their skills in musicianship or appreciate their favourite kind of music or song etc..

What's missing is a resource for musicians to refer to for ideas on how to develop their skills and also to ask for help when stuck at a plateu.

Shared resources could include links to online resources (e.g. YouTube tutorials) and personal tips from experience.

How do you further your skills in chosen instrument? Do you practise set pieces of music or do you improvise while playing a favourite song in the background? What is your most used resource?

Re: Musicianship Development Thread

Hey, cool thread.

I never practise, but I know LOADS of stuff :P And I teach. Mostly piano, but I know stuff for most things.

In terms of piano technic, Hanon's exercises are great.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I wonder if we have any sound engineers around? I'm not learning, but it sure would be great to have a knowledgeable third party to talk through things with from time to time!

Comment

Hey Azvanna, it's funny I found this thread just now, with the guitar-string crease marks still in my fingers ...

I play several instruments, my favorites being the electric guitar and the bass. I've taught myself through a variety of resources, from youtube to mail order lessons to the "how-to-play" videos that come with iLife. The way I practice is first, by finding a song I love and want to play, which is never hard, and then by finding the music for it and, well, learning it! I always play songs, because if I love a song I will never have to force myself to practice it, I'll do it for fun and get better in the process.

I'm also working at the sound engineer thing. I'm a bit of a one-man band, and I'm working on a few demos right now with me on guitars, bass, drums, keys, and vocals. I've been getting great results so far recording and mixing right here in my basement, and since it's a subject I have endless interest in I'd be happy to discuss it with you sometime. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk!

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Hey Azvanna, it's funny I found this thread just now, with the guitar-string crease marks still in my fingers ...

I play several instruments, my favorites being the electric guitar and the bass. I've taught myself through a variety of resources, from youtube to mail order lessons to the "how-to-play" videos that come with iLife. The way I practice is first, by finding a song I love and want to play, which is never hard, and then by finding the music for it and, well, learning it! I always play songs, because if I love a song I will never have to force myself to practice it, I'll do it for fun and get better in the process.

I'm also working at the sound engineer thing. I'm a bit of a one-man band, and I'm working on a few demos right now with me on guitars, bass, drums, keys, and vocals. I've been getting great results so far recording and mixing right here in my basement, and since it's a subject I have endless interest in I'd be happy to discuss it with you sometime. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk!
          Hello, Starlight! Thank you for responding. Glad to have found a sound engineer! You have taught yourself pretty much the same way I have, by the sounds. I have never heard of iLife, though. I will have to Google it. You are sooo lucky to have recording equipment! Thank you for making yourself known.

Comment

Any recommendations for a podcast that teaches guitar scales? I need to learn them >< Been playing 15 years now and still haven't learned.

Comment

do we have any piano players? i play piano and cello.
              "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                Any recommendations for a podcast that teaches guitar scales? I need to learn them >< Been playing 15 years now and still haven't learned.
                Major scales are Tone T Semitone T T T S. So pick a fret and play!
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thanks for responding, I think I have found what I need though. It's a guitar theory podcast. I'll post back if I found it useful.

Comment

My husband linked this article on Facebook today. He actually has skill, whereas I just fake it. lol ^.^ The article is called "Guitarist's Brains ARE Different From Everybody Else's." http://cms.guitarplayer.com/artists/...ne-elses/25820
                    I was really excited to read this article! Imo, it extends to any musician or anyone involved in creative arts. In this article, they're talking about what heaps of us mean when we say we're in the flow of it. Whatever 'it' is. It's all that ground work you've done in practise letting itself overflow out of you. I have a huge article on how to cultivate 'Flow,' but simply it is putting yourself into the position where something is not too hard, but not too easy. So you build steadily from routine, throw in a few unexpected changes and see what comes out. The idea is that you are operating mostly from sub-conscious, but your conscious mind stays slightly alert, but not enough to be critical. For me, that means playing along with other people. I'm not pushing myself so hard anymore in my musicianship so I get bored easily. However, when I'm playing with other people, I have to stay aware of what they're doing and adjust. If they are doing the same thing, before you know it, we are all flowing together incredibly well and having fun with music.

For me, playing with others points out where I need to improve as well. Sometimes I feel like I want to do something, but I just don't know how to do it. So I have to go and learn the technique, ready for the next time.
                    Last edited by Azvanna; 30 Apr 2014, 18:04.

Comment

I am learning to play guitar I have a classical, but much prefer to play my electric one as I find the fretboard a lot more easier on my small hands,and if I am being honest it was electric guitar I fell in love with right from the very start. I do not do a lot of tab work, I decided that if I was going to learn, I wanted to learn how to read music, so it is a long and slow process, as I do not have as much time to practice as I would like, but well worth it.

I still find it hard playing a piece of music but always having to look a few bars ahead of what I am playing to make sure I use my fingering effectually. I hope as I come more familiar with cords, and the lay out of my fretboard that it will become more like a second nature. Unfortunately I do not know any one else (apart from my tutor) who plays guitar, so I have to make do on my own. I think it would be wonderful to have others to play with, I think it would be a bit nerve wrecking as well but I also think that it would be a really good way to find out new things, and improve timing.

I am enjoying it though I used to beat myself up if I did not meet the target I thought I should reach, but now I go with the flow. Life is too short to worry over such things and I have actually found that my guitar playing has improved far more since I have been relaxing, and what I have learned has sunk in more. That is not to say I do not push myself, I just do not get upset with myself if I make mistakes that I feel I should not make any more.
                      When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

Originally posted by Annwn View Post
                        I am learning to play guitar I have a classical, but much prefer to play my electric one as I find the fretboard a lot more easier on my small hands,and if I am being honest it was electric guitar I fell in love with right from the very start. I do not do a lot of tab work, I decided that if I was going to learn, I wanted to learn how to read music, so it is a long and slow process, as I do not have as much time to practice as I would like, but well worth it.

I still find it hard playing a piece of music but always having to look a few bars ahead of what I am playing to make sure I use my fingering effectually. I hope as I come more familiar with cords, and the lay out of my fretboard that it will become more like a second nature. Unfortunately I do not know any one else (apart from my tutor) who plays guitar, so I have to make do on my own. I think it would be wonderful to have others to play with, I think it would be a bit nerve wrecking as well but I also think that it would be a really good way to find out new things, and improve timing.

I am enjoying it though I used to beat myself up if I did not meet the target I thought I should reach, but now I go with the flow. Life is too short to worry over such things and I have actually found that my guitar playing has improved far more since I have been relaxing, and what I have learned has sunk in more. That is not to say I do not push myself, I just do not get upset with myself if I make mistakes that I feel I should not make any more.
                        I have large hands which spread well across the frets but cause me difficulties with speed and cross-string dampening. Your small hands should help you learn faster as your nerves aren't going to be impeded so much with flesh and bone. My limitations have helped me be more dedicated to creating my own sound though and I'm sure yours can be turned to your advantage too.

I'm accustomed to playing alone as well but have nonetheless acquitted my ambition to some degree, though I do feel my ideas could have developed in new ways in collaboration with others - there's only so far you can take solo guitar work I think. Strangely I used to live on Hessle Road in Hull, near the massive ASDA. We could've started a band, though I'm 30 now so my lack of technical ability might be plain embarrassing.

Nowadays I find the best way to cope with responsibilities is to regulate my mood by limiting excitement so although my dream life has picked up as a result, what musicality I had has fallen by the wayside. Also, it is of course much harder to resume an old pastime once time spent away has forced upon you the necessity of acknowledging that there are losses to be cut and tedious rituals to be undergone in order to progress once more. Perhaps the thought of life experience gained in its place is a salutary one which can be embraced through the drudgery of scales and growing callouses

Comment

Wow midnostic we would have been pretty close we live just at the back of Bransholm. Strange how life can throw up odd coincidences some time ^_^. I am just having fun I find playing classical on an electric quite challenging at times, because of the strings are closer together and you do not have quite as much freedom for error. My attitude has changed a lot over the past few months as well, so that is something new to explore for me.

I agree there is only so far you can grow musically on your own, but there is nothing wrong with seeing how far you can push that. Some times that is the point where you just might surprise yourself.
                          When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

When I was younger, I had a good singing voice. I was classically trained.
                            Unfortunately I had a very disruptive sense of humour. Singing 'Aluminium' instead of Hallelujah in Handel's Hallelujah chorus, and 'Radox the Priest' instead of 'Zadock the priest' could cause an entire choir to have hysterics.
                            Happy days.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I had forgotten about this thread >.<
                              Originally posted by Annwn View Post
                              That's a really great mindset, Annwn. I have to relax more when I play, too. My skill doesn't match up to what I think it should be after all these years. But I also haven't pushed myself very far. I have been happy to settle for 'good enough.' So I don't go crazy, I'm trying to accept the whole of my life as it is without judging it, and that's what I have to do with my musicianship as well.

How are you going with your electric guitar? My husband plays electric and I think once you get the mechanics down, it becomes all about effects. Have you found this to be so?

Comment

Working...
                              X