Does anyone believe in Evolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone believe in Evolution?

If so... why do you believe in it? I'm curious.... Hey, I'm learning here too! Teach me Evolutionists!

Re: Does anyone believe in Evolution?

Yes.

1) Inheritance of traits is easily observable in daily life.

2) Vestigial traits are a thing.

3) I tend to take Thal's word on biology and she has in the past pointed out that a great deal of our understanding of biology basically fails at the word go without evolution of some kind.

4) Anyone who can provide a credible rebuttal of it is liable to become an instant celebrity. There are a lot of people with a great deal invested in evolution being wrong. Providing any kind of credible evidence based rebuttal will attract a lot of attention.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Evolution isn't a belief. It's a well founded and well tested hypothesis.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        This. Evolution is undeniable. I 'believe' it, because enough scientists have confirmed this hypothesis.

Comment

Have you any particular doubts or questions about it?

If you just want an overview here's a couple of videos that address some basics:

Comment

thanks prom
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              +1 Science is science.

Comment

yes,yes,YES!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

*shrug*

Nothing in the study of life makes sense, except in the light of evolution.

(I paraphrase from Theodosius Dobzhansky)

As V said, Evolution isn't a belief. It's a well founded and well tested hypothesis.

And as such, it is a scientific theory. We make predictions from it, we use its concepts to test other hypotheses, we use it on a daily basis.

If someone doesn't believe in evolution, they should try living without it for a day: Oops, if you've been vaccinated, you already lose (or win because you haven't gotten smallpox--sometimes the coordinated efforts of people are faster than evolution). You may not eat the following: corn, beef, pork, chicken, tomatoes, wheat, legumes, bananas, apples, pears, peaches, or pretty much any other domesticated crop or livestock. We evolved the crap out of those guys. Get rid of your dog or cat. Also, if you have any sort of reptile that deviates from its natural coloration (or chinchillas for that matter), they need to go too. Your lawn definitely has to go, especially for anyone living in the US. And that's not even considering our opposable thumb, big brain, ability to make complex verbalizations, or walk upright... And of course, there's behavioral and cultural evolution...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I once had a friend who's father was a staunch creationist. Attempting to reason with him was baffling as it was short. He slammed an empty soda can onto the table and told me to turn it into a fish. Now I'm not sure why I would be vested with the powers of an evolution ray or whatever, but the soda can seemed fairly well adapted to doing what it was trying to do.
                    Circe

Comment

I believe in extraterrestrial intervention being at the heart of evolution.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

mork is that you??

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The more one learns about evolution, the theory and evidence, the sweeping advancements in both medical and industrial applications, the more likely one is to "believe" in evolution.

But -

The less one knows about evolution, the theory and... ; the more likely one is to "believe" in some version of creationism.

Beliefs derived from ignorance are foolish. Beliefs derived from knowledge are wise.

Wise is better than foolish.

Therefore, a belief in evolution is better than a belief in creationism.

Q.E.D.
                          Last edited by B. de Corbin; 04 Jan 2019, 15:57.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is my opinion so don't get mad at me when I say this. I find evolution interesting. I really do. Even though I'm a Christian I choose to believe in God. But that just my opinion and as everyone say it just a theory. So again don't get mad at me for expressing my opinion.

Comment

not at all bart,we all have rights to believe as we will.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X