They Paved Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Paved Paradise

That's a good song, by the way, haha, but that's not what this is about.

This is about that strange, deep-seeded sadness I feel in my heart when I stand at the top of the cliff overlooking my city; a vast network of lights and asphalt full of disconnected, ignorant, wasteful consumers with no care in the world that this whole valley used to be beautiful once upon a time, before it became an urban metropolis suffocating Mother Nature's soil that lies deep beneath the surface. Then I feel kind of angry. Then I want to, like, destroy everything and rip everything up so that the Earth can breathe a little better hahaha. Then I feel silly.

We could've created floating roads and floating buildings and flying cars by now, all running on green, re-newable energy, in harmony with Nature....but noooo.

We paved paradise; put up a parking lot.

--Sollomyn
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 13 Mar 2019, 16:59.

Re: They Paved Paradise

Yeah, we definitely have dropped the ball on green energy and lifestyles. It's really disheartening.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
      Yeah, we definitely have dropped the ball on green energy and lifestyles. It's really disheartening.
      Indeed; I hate not being able to see the stars at night because all the city lights are reflecting off of the smog layer from all the factories and cars. I almost miss the small farm in the middle of the arctic on which I spent most of my life; it was over a hundred miles away from anything that could be called a city haha. Crystal clear night skies. ...Lethally cold and almost perpetually dark too, but the Northern Lights almost made the winters tolerable...still, I'd rather relocate to a remote wilderness area that's somewhere a little closer to the equator. I've lived in Montana for a little over a year now; the winters definitely aren't nearly as bad as they were in Alaska haha; almost nobody got killed or decided to suicide themselves; it was eerie for me hahaha. My first orange Halloween too. :XD laugh:
      Last edited by Sollomyn; 13 Mar 2019, 18:17.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          Sorry, what’s the debate?
          I'm not sure, but I believe it's about the impact of human development on the geographical landscape and how it is somehow connected to the decline of a spiritually driven conception of Nature as a nurturing motherly figure of sorts.

I've made my opinion public on this matter through my wordpress blog, but I think there is nothing motherly about nature, and nothing unnatural about mankind's impact on the planet. If anything, we are carrying nature's only real rule: keep surviving.

And it is my belief, that we will.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
            Sorry, what’s the debate?
            Pavement. To boycott, or not to boycott?

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
            I think there is nothing motherly about nature, and nothing unnatural about mankind's impact on the planet. If anything, we are carrying nature's only real rule: keep surviving.

And it is my belief, that we will.
            Nature provides.

Providing for Nature helps us survive.
            Last edited by Sollomyn; 14 Mar 2019, 05:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post

Nature provides.

Nature provided us with the elements to make the pavement.

I see Nature as going well beyond our little universe.

We came to exist out of sheer luck, a detail on nature's working, and with our ability, and some more luck, we'll pull through whatever gets thrown our way, even if we put obstacles ourselves.

Comment

Nature provided us with the elements to make the pavement.
                Nature provided us with the elements to make the atomic bomb, too; doesn't mean we should make it haha. I believe we have the right to use what Nature provides, but that with every right there must also come a responsibility.

I see Nature as going well beyond our little universe.

We came to exist out of sheer luck, a detail on nature's working, and with our ability, and some more luck, we'll pull through whatever gets thrown our way, even if we put obstacles ourselves.
                I agree completely; 100%.

Comment

I think your anger is misdirected. It's not the consumers you need to be mad at. It's the corporations that shelf good new, green, alternative solutions after buying up those patents, so they can continue to rake in the millions they make off of outdated, destructive, and diminishing resource reliant technology.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post

Nature provides.

How could you possibly boycott pavement? Are you just not gonna drive on the roads or walk on the sidewalks anymore?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                      I think your anger is misdirected. It's not the consumers you need to be mad at. It's the corporations that shelf good new, green, alternative solutions after buying up those patents, so they can continue to rake in the millions they make off of outdated, destructive, and diminishing resource reliant technology.
                      Hmm... I still think the consumer is to "blame". No consumer, no corporation. So even if I don't agree with Sollomyn's motivations, I certainly agree mass boycott is useful against corporations. However you need to accept and realize that not everyone feels like you do when it comes to ecology, and that some people are perfectly fine with corporation's actions.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        How could you possibly boycott pavement? Are you just not gonna drive on the roads or walk on the sidewalks anymore?
                        Sure, why not?

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                        I think I'm mad at both consumers and corporations; if it weren't for the consumers, the corporations wouldn't exist, and if it weren't for the corporations, consumers wouldn't be manipulated. I'm more mad though perhaps at the societal and cultural norms that have evolved, not so much the people; if it weren't for the norms that have evolved, people would be just fine.

I get a lot more mad at ideas and concepts than I do at the people who come up with them; not really sure why. Might all just boil down to the fact I don't believe in free will, so I don't actually blame anyone for anything; it's the circumstances that are unfortunate haha.
                        Last edited by Sollomyn; 14 Mar 2019, 08:36.

Comment

There's no point to this topic. We have been using stone to produce roads and other structures for thousands of years. There has never been a point when humanity has not altered their environment to suit their needs. It is not the fault of the modern age. The Romans covered their empire in roads that still exist, Paris was densely constructed even by the middle ages, the Nahuatl were burning and clear cutting for agriculture since the beginning; we continuous have manipulated our environment using the most efficient and advanced technology available to us. There's certainly a debate and points which could be made, however an argument that amounts to 'civilization is bad' with no tangible support does not a debate make.
                          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                            There's no point to this topic.
                            How come?

We have been using stone to produce roads and other structures for thousands of years. There has never been a point when humanity has not altered their environment to suit their needs. It is not the fault of the modern age. The Romans covered their empire in roads that still exist, Paris was densely constructed even by the middle ages, the Nahuatl were burning and clear cutting for agriculture since the beginning; we continuous have manipulated our environment using the most efficient and advanced technology available to us.
                            We've also been killing each other off in retaliation towards one another for thousands of years; should we just keep doing that, too; not even bother trying to change things or be better?

There's certainly a debate and points which could be made, however an argument that amounts to 'civilization is bad' with no tangible support does not a debate make.
                            My argument is not that civilization is bad; quite the contrary civilization is good. Hurting the Earth is bad. The two can coexist in harmony with neither one getting hurt.
                            Last edited by Sollomyn; 14 Mar 2019, 14:38.

Comment

There's no point to this topic. We have been using the stone to produce roads and other structures for thousands of years. There has never been a point when humanity has not altered their environment to suit their needs. It is not the fault of the modern age. The Romans covered their empire in roads that still exist, Paris was densely constructed even by the middle ages, the Nahuatl were burning and clear-cutting for agriculture since the beginning; we continuous have manipulated our environment using the most efficient and advanced technology available to us. There's certainly a debate and points which could be made, however, an argument that amounts to 'civilization is bad' with no tangible support does not a debate make.
                              I agree. There's no point to this topic at all. They have been paving roads for a massive number of years and I really don't see what's so debatable about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X