Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of Pagan Institution would you set up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sort of Pagan Institution would you set up?

One way to show that the Neopagan Community not only exists, but cares about itself and others is to set up institutions. More than just multicultural get-togethers, these need to be Exclusively Pagan, though there is no reason not to allow anybody to donate resources to the cause.

Food Banks, Charities, Seminaries, private schools to raise children in a way that is more in line with Pagan ways, Used clothing and goods distributors (e.g. a pagan "Goodwill"), etcetera.

-----------

Well, since I put it up, I'll start.

I'd probably go with a seminary. Sure, anyone can donate their time, money, resources or effort to help, but it definitely has to be focused on Pagan Traditions. Through this, Reconstructionists would have an accessible means to the scholarly articles that are so necessary to building an informed practice. It can also be a visible place for Wiccan traditions to congregate and initiate - you don't have to know the right folks, to find the tradition that moves you.

I would want a piece of paper from this seminary to be a demonstration of deep, broad, and thorough understanding of the Neopagan community.
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Re: What sort of Pagan Institution would you set up?

Personally? If I were to set up a Pagan organisation I would focus on education - volunteers to teach classes to school-age kids, and I would insist that it teach nothing about religion (the purpose would be to illustrate how "kind" Pagans are by volunteering their time- making it non-religious shuts up the Christians (who try to do the same thing but overload it with proselytising).

Money isn't important. Education and helping people is. That's my stance on religious organisations. I believe that as long as you leave the "religion" out of the mix, then the "helping people" portion becomes worthwhile. As soon as you bring religion into it, you've cheapened the entire experience (for you, as well as who you're trying to help).

Comment

To paraphrase Groucho Marx (I think), I don't think I would want to join any organisation that was likely to accept me as a member....
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've thought about this too, there should be a pagan group formed online at least where we can donate some of our money and put it to good use. Save the rainforest, world wildlife fund, almost anything nature-related we could find. Get pagans of all different walks of life to make an impact on the world. make us be seen and them to be unable to say anything nasty about it.
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I would like to create a physical four-year Pagan-themed university, aimed at adding Post-Grad once things have shaken out for a while.

And by Pagan-themed, I don't mean a place teaching such fictions as found in joints like "Liberty University" or at "Bob Jones University." I mean a real college able to issue real degrees -- even if it's only in every Degree program that isn't completely religion-based.

(hey, I've had my eyes on a 52-acre parcel with some buildings on it that's for sale just a little south of Exit 80 hereabouts -- lottery winnings, anybody?)
          HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            To paraphrase Groucho Marx (I think), I don't think I would want to join any organisation that was likely to accept me as a member....
            Not even if you're in charge, or at least your input valued? Think of the good that can be done, and think of the chance we have to rightly set up these institutions - like Rok's idea of leaving proselytizing aside when it comes to charitable services, even if they're from religious institutions.

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
            Personally? If I were to set up a Pagan organisation I would focus on education - volunteers to teach classes to school-age kids, and I would insist that it teach nothing about religion (the purpose would be to illustrate how "kind" Pagans are by volunteering their time- making it non-religious shuts up the Christians (who try to do the same thing but overload it with proselytising).

Money isn't important. Education and helping people is. That's my stance on religious organisations. I believe that as long as you leave the "religion" out of the mix, then the "helping people" portion becomes worthwhile. As soon as you bring religion into it, you've cheapened the entire experience (for you, as well as who you're trying to help).
            I'll disagree with ya about the money part, only to say that money is a means to further the end of helping people. Then again, that faith-based initiative money out there might even help us set up a Discordian Daycare center if we pitch it right...

I was hoping for something which might assert something of the identity of the movement, while at the same time respecting it's diversity and openness. Rok, your idea sorta does that, but I'm uncertain of how much of the movement's identity it asserts.
            "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock

Comment

It doesn't assert the movement's identity - Marketing is a different department

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
                Not even if you're in charge, or at least your input valued? Think of the good that can be done, and think of the chance we have to rightly set up these institutions - like Rok's idea of leaving proselytizing aside when it comes to charitable services, even if they're from religious institutions.
                Good grief - Could anyone imagine me in charge of anything? It'd be chaos!

On a more serious note, something I would very much like to see is pagan groups aquiring land for their own purposes, so that they could practice rituals in private without having to hide from others or risk being interrupted by people singing hymns. I think that would be a good start.

And I think in some ways that the Pagan forum is the greatest resource we have, because it not only gives us privacy, room to talk and expand along whatever path we choose, but it also enables us to meet people we would otherwise never have got to know. For me - with all the social skills of a hedgehog - that is a great blessing.

Do you think perhaps that the PF could move a little more in the direction of the original post? For example, with regard to academic articles, maybe if anyone is looking for anything specific there should be a thread for that, so that anyone with academic interests who has something that could be interesting could send a copy to them by way of pm? (Posting it online could incur copyright wrath, I know) But it's a fascinating concept... one that would benefit from continued discussion.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

There's also the idea of some of our more ambitious members of the Pagan communities forming a Pagan Think-Tank, set up to be balanced with voices from the Liberal, Centrist, and Conservative viewpoints working together. There are any number of topics they could kick-off their operations with.

Although I'm not a Pagan "group," my wife and I have made this step: the Groves of the Greene Man's Denne for our area Pagans both solitary and groups.
                  Last edited by Ananta Androscoggin; 16 May 2011, 09:33.
                  HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

would a completly pagan self sustaining coummunity be overkill?
                    Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      would a completly pagan self sustaining coummunity be overkill?
                      No, but unless you want to go back to the hippy/commune era, you're pretty much stuck with using the skills that "everyone" in the community has, and you're screwed for the ones you don't have. Got a doctor? What happens when he/she dies? Electricians? I mean, shit, I wouldn't want to give up ANY of *my* comforts.

Comment

A year-round boarding (6-12) and day school (pK-12) with a summer program for conventionally schooled kids that promotes experiential learning, community service and outdoor education--something of a cross between Oak Grove School and some of the Quaker schools I've seen, with some student-run community-based entrepreneurial programs similar to the program at Our School at Blair Grocery.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

for the idea of a self-sustaining community, you'd need to set up a group plan for medical insurance, and do your own farming and such, you could easily either build a website or get a storefront to sell products. Organic food, herbs, make your own incense and oils, other crafts naturally made, dreamcatchers, beeswax candles, etc
                          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

For your commune: Ever heard of Earthships? The Rammed Earth walls may need concrete or sealing from water in wetter climates, and insulation from the ground in cooler climates. However the concept shows some promise, and is comparatively low cost. The commune could provide plenty of labor for it. Solar & wind power with a cache of batteries, then giant cisterns and efficient filters for your water. Just don't count on a cell phone in your home, being surrounded by tons of dirt.

Depending on building codes for your state and locale, loopholes will allow allow all sorts of things that wouldn't pass. For instance - in Virginia, it's only a house (and thus subject to inspection) if it includes a kitchen *and* a bathroom. Those can be external structures to the actual homes, and brought in with simple additions. And then, you can "rough in" the electrical work yourself - the electrician, (paid by the hour?) inspects your work and plugs it in.

Then there's Permaculture Food Forests - give it 5 years, and the only produce you'll need to buy is the stuff you can't grow in outdoors, or fit in your greenhouse that's part of your home.

All of this will require PLENTY of research, but shows promise.

Comment

I'm not (and never have been) big on communes...land co-ops (which, admittedly are often established differently)--where some of the land is shared (and the labor and expense and profits of it), but where individual property and homes are established, is more something I could buy into.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X