End of the World Book List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of the World Book List

As a random thought experiment, the hubby and I are compiling what we call "The Zombie Apocalypse Reading List," which is meant to be a list of the books that would be essential to preserve a large swathe of the diversity of human history, culture, and knowledge about everything from fishing techniques and emergency surgery to genetics and calculus. We came up with this amusement after reading about the book vault Norway is building as a sort of companion to the seed bank maintained there.

So, what books would you recommend that would contain at least the basics of human knowledge for future preservation? What would you want to keep? What do you think could be let go (or should be let go of)?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: End of the World Book List

One comes to mind from a ways back..The whole earth catalog.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I know it's not what you are looking for. But as a apocalypse loving aficionado I must add the great series Silo by Hugh Howey. It's what happens when you think you can do this. How you end up preserving the world but also he vileness of humans who think they know exactly how to do it.

It will break your spirit. But in the end it might teach us to just...not.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

A set of encyclopedias
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Pretty much just come and raid my book collection, lol.

We've got books on butchering and preserving, canning and fermenting, cooking, foraging, herbal medicine, a couple of great books on snow survival, etc. I think we should keep classic and controversial literature - anything which defined an era.

What should we let go of? General and teen fiction. Just let that garbage die.

Mostly art.

Comment

V.C. Andrews? I will NOT let that go.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
            X