What superstitions do you keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What superstitions do you keep?

This is something I've been thinking about lately, and rather than post the one that I've been sticking to and mulling over for years and watch it get 2 responses before the thread dies, I would like to read about the kinds of superstitions others have heard and keep.

My biggest one is not telling others your dreams/goals if they are currently in the works or it won't manifest. For example, if you're waiting to hear back from a job interview about whether or not you got the job - if you tell someone, there is a greater chance of the employer choosing someone else for that position.

Re: What superstitions do you keep?

Gosh, I've had so many over the years it's hard to list them. They've come and gone. I don't know if they are superstitions or part of my OCPD and GAD. Usually they had to do with offending gods and flubbing rituals.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Don't brag about good luck. I don't know why not, it's not like luck gets withdrawn, but I still clam up when somebody says - "You're lucky."
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thou shalt not tempt Murphy.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

None other than Not putting new shoes on a table, No real fear of it being a superstition, its just what I always remember my Grandmother ticking me off for.

My 2 daughters, 3 & 5yrs have just started wishing on stars with the rhyme from Pinocchio
          Star light Star bright
          First Star I see tonight
          I wish I may
          I wish I might
          Have this wish
          I wish tonight

Comment

If I remember the saying,if something can go wrong,it most likely will go wrong..Though I think that may not be Murphy's law.

It is Wiki,but yeh kinda the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm more superstitious than I'd like to think I am. Things that make me uncomfortable are opening an umbrella indoors, leaving washing on the line overnight and as others have mentioned, shoes on the table.

However, the rational part of my mind usually lets me override these superstitions so I can show off my new umbrella indoors, or put my shoes on the table while I sort out the laces because for some reason shows don't come with their laces already nicely done up for you around here.

and at a push.. if I was caught short and my washing was rained on, I'll leave it out to save having to do it again in the morning, if I know it's going to be a nice day.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Okay guys. More importantly...WHO PUTS SHOES ON A TABLE? I didn't even know it was a superstition. It's just weird. Shoes don't go on tables.

I'm not terribly superstitious. I don't like it when someone says "What's the worst that could happen?", though. And if I say something bad, I'll knock on wood so it doesn't happen.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm not very superstitious. I do not believe in luck, but I do believe in Karma. Not as a part of my practices, but as a rule. If I do good, people will be good to me. The same with bad.
                  Also not too long ago I found out that ghosts seem to exist in Kemetism.. Oh dear... As if Kemetism lacks mythological creatures...
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I've put shoes on a table and never even known it was a thing. But, I've never put shoes on the table just to put there there...its been shoes as part of a pile of stuff.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      Okay guys. More importantly...WHO PUTS SHOES ON A TABLE? I didn't even know it was a superstition. It's just weird. Shoes don't go on tables.
                      Lol, used shoes don't. That would just be dirty. Shoes that have been outside aren't even allowed past the glass door in my hallway never mind far enough into the flat to find a table. But when your shoes are part of your shopping that you just came home with, they can end up on tables, and like I said, if you often sit at the dining table as I do, and you're putting the laces on your new shoes, you can forget the rule and end up with them sat on the table as you do it. Then there's that moment of panic, followed by a moment of shame at being scared of something so silly.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I don't know the shoes on the table one but ones I follow are:

I don't open an umbrella inside
                        I wont walk under a ladder
                        I knock on wood so I'm not jinxed
                        I wear certain clothes when my teams play

I will need to think about this more...
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Knocking on wood. I do it all the time. Also I throw salt behind my shoulder if I spill any which is something my mother always did so I just do it as an automatic response now.

Comment

I have a crystal hanging from my rear view mirror, on a very small braid made of 3 strands of sewing thread - white, red, & black. When I start my car, I touch it and say "Safe and blessed be."
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I just thought of one I always keep to... never put a hat on a bed.
                              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
                              X