Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What superstitions do you keep?

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    I just thought of one I always keep to... never put a hat on a bed.
    Why not to put a hat on a bed?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Because it means you are in a hurry to leave, and your bed-partner will think it's his/her breath. Hilarious misunderstandings inevitably arise.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Because it means you are in a hurry to leave, and your bed-partner will think it's his/her breath. Hilarious misunderstandings inevitably arise.
        Oh.. Thanks, B. De!
        I learned something new today.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

It's supposed to be associated with death. No idea why, I just don't do it.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

saying as we're on the subject of beds.. does anyone else refuse to sleep with their feet pointing towards the door? I think I picked it up from feng shui in my youth but it has really stuck with me. There are a few little things from feng shui that are now stuck in my mind that I otherwise wouldn't have cared about. When JP took over the study (now known as the 'man cave') and I was reduced to a desk in the corner of the bedroom, my biggest concern was that I not only sit with my back to the massive bay window, but there's also a vast open space (about 7 meters) between my back and the window. This is so much of an issue for me that we're going to be using one of those big ikea book cases as a room divider just so I have something behind me. (and so I can't see my study space from the bed).

I guess this counts as superstition too.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hmmm...

-Well, I try to behave myself in front of the eyes of my Kuan Yin and Budai statues. This also includes proper dress code.
              -Not putting any kind of sacred texts on the floor (texts from other religions). Or just leave them recklessly somewhere.
              -Not sitting on books. (You might wonder why would anyone sit on books but I spend the a lot of time at the floor level and sometimes could use some leveled seat.)
              -Singing "lailailai" in my head when I think my thoughts might be leaking. (When I was younger I imagined my thoughts were leaking because people happened to sigh or cough sometimes when I got weird, "loud" thoughts and I even used to build imaginary "firewalls" around my mind but just belting out "lailailai" in my head was effective enough.)
              -Not stepping over things (carpets, cables and sundry small stuff aside). But no-no for stepping over books, important handouts or other papers and never-ever over food. (And preferrably no food on the floor in the first place. )
              -Not reading anything really significant in the toilet.
              baah.

Comment

I'm not too superstitious, but one old saying that I was told when I was little was 'red sky in morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailors delight.' It's one of my favorite sayings and when I do see a red sky in morning, I usually am a little more careful that day.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

There is one more superstition I keep. It says that if there is a red sunrise, then blood was spilt during the night in that area.

Comment

I have a lot of them related to horse racing. LOL It's downright silly and I know it. On Kentucky Derby day (tomorrow!!!!) I have certain foods to eat, jewelry to wear, and specific objects that will be on my coffee table as I watch the race. Not sure if this is superstition or dorkiness.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      I'm not too superstitious, but one old saying that I was told when I was little was 'red sky in morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailors delight.' It's one of my favorite sayings and when I do see a red sky in morning, I usually am a little more careful that day.
                      The quote is actually is a valid warning..Red sky at morning means the approach of a storm,red sky at night means a departing storm,going away from you..

The quote applies to sailing....

- - - Updated - - -

There is also the superstition on ship,that if the birds following the ship disappear it is bad luck...the birds depart because they go to land because of a pending storm BTW
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Spilling salt is bad luck and you undo ityou throw it over your shoulder. Putting your shoes on the wrong feet guarantees a bad day. Make wishes when the clock numbers are even. If you tell someone what you wish for, it won't come true. Red and black are bad colors to have in your wedding (yet by uncle and aunt had red as one of their colors and have been married over 20 years).
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          The quote is actually is a valid warning..Red sky at morning means the approach of a storm,red sky at night means a departing storm,going away from you..

The quote applies to sailing....

- - - Updated - - -

There is also the superstition on ship,that if the birds following the ship disappear it is bad luck...the birds depart because they go to land because of a pending storm BTW
                          I always loved that quote. I can't remember if my dad or my grandpa told me that. My grandpa was in the army during WWII. I wanted to be in the Navy, but because of health issues I could never join the armed forces. Thanks for letting me know anunitu.

- - - Updated - - -

There is one more superstition I keep. It says that if there is a red sunrise, then blood was spilt during the night in that area.
                          I never knew about that, thanks for letting me know Gleb.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I was raised in an atheistic household, so I never really believed a lot of classic superstitions. My parents weren't superstitious, so I didn't learn them as ingrained behaviour. Though some things I got from my peers, e.g. "luck", knocking on wood, not breaking glass mirrors or walking under ladders, et al. But I never really got them, it was just ritualized behaviour.
                            Arguably, I became more superstitious as I got older because I developed my Pagan beliefs much later in life, in my late teens. When I finally got to the point where I genuinely believed in the existence of the gods, magic, and the spiritual, I developed a more concrete belief in the presence of mysterious forces at work all around us. Such as luck and grace, subtle divine aid, protective charms, et al. So I adorn my house with apotropaic symbols to ward off ill-intended things, pray regularly to Apollo for purification, knock on wood to avoid being jinxed, and other things. Some are more religious than superstitious, like the Apollo thing; but it all ties in with luck.

Comment

I'm trying to think of anything I do for actual superstitious reasons, rather than out of habit/custom or for religious and/or psychological reasons (ritualized behavior sort of stuff), and I'm coming up empty.

Things I do just because they were ingrained when I was growing up (from my grammie's childhood):

*Openings on a pillow case should always face the wall furthest from the door, so you don't lose your dreams. Plus, it looks nicer, not seeing the pillow peeking out.
                              *Never walk under a ladder, its bad luck. Besides,there's a good chance (Murphy an all) that something will fall on you or you will trip and fall and knock the ladder over and hurt the guy on the ladder.
                              *Never bring an old broom to a new home. Also common sense--brooms clean dirt, which includes all manner of detritus, microorganisms, fleas, etc.
                              *Put a dollar coin in a purse or wallet you buy as a gift (because its just a nice thing to do)
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post

I never knew about that, thanks for letting me know Gleb.
                                No problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X