Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What superstitions do you keep?

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    I'm not too superstitious, but one old saying that I was told when I was little was 'red sky in morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailors delight.' It's one of my favorite sayings and when I do see a red sky in morning, I usually am a little more careful that day.
    There's a real scientific explanation behind that, so you're not off the mark in taking care that day.

Since the sun sets in the west, if the sky is red, it means it is clear, with no weather front. At the low angle of the setting sun the longer red wavelength is prominent. In the morning if the sky is red, the red wavelength is reflecting off storm clouds moving from the west.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    There is one more superstition I keep. It says that if there is a red sunrise, then blood was spilt during the night in that area.
    Is that where Legolas got that from!?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    The quote is actually is a valid warning..Red sky at morning means the approach of a storm,red sky at night means a departing storm,going away from you..

The quote applies to sailing....
    Gah! I should read a whole thread before running off at the mouth.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I'm glad you brought up the red sky thing again Thorbjorn. It was something my mum would say too, and when I first saw Anunitu's reply about it being quite true, I remembered another weather related thing she'd say that I wanted to post. I've been crazy busy all weekend though, so never got a chance to post a reply. Your post reminded me though!

So, has anyone ever heard this one?

'Cast ye not a single clout until the month of May is out'.

The weird thing about it is that my mum actually used this while I was out shopping with her on Saturday morning, after I'd seen the thread and wanted to post about it! I'd gone out without a coat on because we had beautiful blue skies, but there was an icy wind (I live near the coast so winds can really build up speed here). She repeated this to me in her 'you should know better' tone. The saying specifically refers to gardening/farming, but my mum used it as a general warning that you can't trust the weather not to take a sudden wintery dip until June. We never put our winter clothes away until June (and they only get a few months in storage before we're clambering up stepladders to get them back again ^^). I suspect this saying may only apply to Scotland and the North of England though, where it stays colder for longer. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has heard it, or a regional variation.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The red sky thing is a sailing thing..because for being at sea,not knowing can get you sunk or even marooned somewhere...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I love reading through all of these. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post

Is that where Legolas got that from!?
            Here goes my secretz. :P But it there might be some sort of truth there. The sun here was often red during the last war with sector Gaza.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I never throw salt over my shoulder. I aint trying to keep Satan away.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I never throw salt over my shoulder. I aint trying to keep Satan away.
                I have a similar view of the number 13. I consider it lucky because it's the moon's number. Magpies too. People panic at the sight of a singe magpie, but I see them as a good omen, a reminder that I'm not alone!

I was curious so I looked up my mother's saying. It seems clout meant (amongst other things) both 'clod' and 'cloth'. Most sources seem to think it refers only to 'cloth' in this saying, so my mum was correct in using it to mean 'don't stop wearing your winter clothes'. However, even she believes it originally came from 'clod', so maybe clout is an old geordie word that we've stopped using. I've heard 'clads' for 'clothes' in Geordie dialect which could come from 'clod' or could just be a corruption of 'clothes'.

Sources also suggest that 'May' might not me the month itself, but the hawthorn blossom that is open around May and which were once referred to as either may blossom or simply just may. If it blossoms early, you can remove your winter clothes earlier, if it blossoms late, you need to keep them on later, not removing them until all the flowers have gone. This way, 'May' is relevant throughout the British isles.

I'm pleased I thought to look it up. It's so interesting and definitely going in the old BOS when I get home tomorrow.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

- Knocking on wood, in order to avoid jinxing myself.
                  - That the hours of 2:00 and 3:00 in the morning are more supernaturally active.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but that's probably because I do them unconsciously. ^v^

Comment

According to at large superstitious people, crows are considered bad luck, for they are death omens. I welcome them, and enjoy seeing and hearing them in my day to day life. I find them very smart, cunning birds that bring me a great deal of luck. I feel them stare down with the eyes of my Gods.
                    Not so much as superstitious myself, but I always leave the house with some type of herbal satchet for protection, as well as crystals. That has more to do with just me I guess though.
                    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                      According to at large superstitious people, crows are considered bad luck, for they are death omens. I welcome them, and enjoy seeing and hearing them in my day to day life. I find them very smart, cunning birds that bring me a great deal of luck. I feel them stare down with the eyes of my Gods.
                      Not so much as superstitious myself, but I always leave the house with some type of herbal satchet for protection, as well as crystals. That has more to do with just me I guess though.
                      Crows are wonderful. if you feed them, they will start to recognise you. I've got a few that come to get food when they see me. Swans too.
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Working...