Rioting and the Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rioting and the Media

Baltimore is going all Ferguson right now. I'm thinking it's gonna be a long, hot summer like 1967.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

I think people are a bit young to remember those summers hawk..the whole stuff hitting the fan over and over.....4 years I was away on the ocean,but it was waiting when I got back....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I think people are a bit young to remember those summers hawk..the whole stuff hitting the fan over and over.....4 years I was away on the ocean,but it was waiting when I got back....
      SOME people are, not all! LOL I remember! I was 10 and all sorts of riot action was going on in Newark NJ and in the East New York section of Brooklyn (where we lived). My mother showed me some cubbyhole in the basement and told me that if she gave the word, I was to go there and stay quiet no matter what I heard, until my father got home. What I know now is she was afraid people would come into the house. They didn't, but I remember seeing an angry mob in the streets and hearing them going past our house, running sticks along the fence, and breaking bottles. It was like what I'm seeing live on tv now from Baltimore.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I woke up and watched the news...and for a moment I wondered what year it was...It was 1965,and things were changing really fast..That summer I partied until August when I reported to the Navy. I was a bit out of touch with domestic problems while I was on ships,but it was the decade of major changes on many things...and there were riots over race,and their were protests about War,and women burned their bras...That and there was the smell of herb in the air a lot. So here I am 50 years later wondering if I rode a time machine to relive those days of old,and then I remembered what year it was..deja vu all over again...and I got a shiver that was once described as the feeling you get when someone walks over your grave....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I woke up and watched the news...and for a moment I wondered what year it was...It was 1965,and things were changing really fast..That summer I partied until August when I reported to the Navy. I was a bit out of touch with domestic problems while I was on ships,but it was the decade of major changes on many things...and there were riots over race,and their were protests about War,and women burned their bras...That and there was the smell of herb in the air a lot. So here I am 50 years later wondering if I rode a time machine to relive those days of old,and then I remembered what year it was..deja vu all over again...and I got a shiver that was once described as the feeling you get when someone walks over your grave....
          Just this:

The Top 10 Decades of the Century: How The 2000s Compared
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Rioting and the Media

So...I've been reading the news, from more and less conventional sites.

This might be interesting, in putting things into perspective:

When black people do it (for an actual issue), its a riot...when white people do it (for completly stupid shit), its just rabble rousing

And, while I don't condone rioting, lets not forget that right now, people have an anger that *is* justified (even if the outlet isn't)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              So...I've been reading the news, from more and less conventional sites.

This might be interesting, in putting things into perspective:

When black people do it (for an actual issue), its a riot...when white people do it (for completly stupid shit), its just rabble rousing
              Uhmmm...

To put things in a different perspective (one where I don't pick sides ), it seems to me that there is a conceptual difference between violent action taken out against gooberment institutions and the stupidity that follows a big sporting event. That would seem (to an English teacher) to require using words with different connotations to describe them...

That is, if accuracy matters.

But maybe political stance is more important than accuracy?
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm going to be honest here. I've purposely not seen any news on Nepal or this. Another tragedy. It's my day off. I'm not losing sleep over a fucked up world version This is Tuesday of earth blah blah.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I kinda feel that way from time too time to Duce...I also should mention the ship that Iran boarded after sending rounds across her bow...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ship-Gulf.html

Just another thing to ignore for a few days...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

But maybe political stance is more important than accuracy?

Or maybe it depends on what we define a "riot" (I just looked this up now) as...I don't think the reason for rioting determines on what makes it a riot, I think its the actions going on that determine what is a riot.

I always thought it was when a crowd of people engaged in wanton property destruction.

Fires+looting+mob=riot

At least the people of Baltimore have something legitimate to be angry over, compared to rioting because your team won the Stanley Cup...and I'm not saying rioting is justified, but...if its going to happen, at least its not frivolous.

But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard.

Dr Martin Luther King
                    Last edited by thalassa; 28 Apr 2015, 16:53.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X